• 2020 commitments

#22661  by The Jackal
 Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:06 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:26 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:02 am

Let's look at the facts -

Hendrix inherited a roster with a senior QB (Blazejowski) and J-Jr backup (Roberts) and a couple of walk-ons. There really wasn't a QB behind Roberts because the guy recruited to fill that spot - Avery Armstrong - was moved to WR.

True. Probably would have been smart to look for a transfer.
The Jackal wrote:

In year 1, Furman had a commit from Jalen Greene, who ended up flipping to Elon. He played two years as a backup QB at Elon and is now a defensive back. Greene would be a junior this year.

The fact he didn't pan out as a QB is hardly reassuring, even putting aside the fact that getting a commitment is meaningless if the player doesn't show up.
The Jackal wrote:
After Greene flipped his commitment late, we got a commitment from Jemar Lincoln. Lincoln, of course, played sparingly and left the program.

Again, this is not very reassuring . . . the staff got 2 QB commits and neither worked as an FCS QB.
The Jackal wrote:
The next year, Furman got a commit from Hayden Mann, a highly rated QB. He flipped late, played safety at James Madison for a season, and then transferred to Lenoir Rhyne.

Yet again, not entirely reassuring . . . seems to be a pattern.
The Jackal wrote:
Furman then landed both Darren Grainger and Hamp Sisson. Grainger (a little before) and Sisson (a little after) both announced offers at roughly the same time Mann announced his decommitment.

So, let's not pretend that that we're ignoring the QB positions. That's at least five QBs in the last three classes that Furman has gotten commits from.

I never said they were "ignoring" it, I said the position seemed like a secondary priority, which none of the above contradicts, and if anything adds further support to. Of course the team has QBs, the point is that recruiting hasn't gone particularly well, and especially early on it made sense to add a transfer. Maybe Shiflett will make an impact once he's healthy.

You know Randy Quaid's character in Major League? You're that guy.
DeepPurple liked this
 #22662  by DeepPurple
 Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:10 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:15 am
QB is the most important position in the game. I'm at a loss as to how that position could ever be a secondary priority, but that's a consistent theme under CCH.
You can't be serious.
 #22666  by Yadkin
 Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:03 pm
youwouldno wrote:
QB is the most important position in the game. I'm at a loss as to how that position could ever be a secondary priority, but that's a consistent theme under CCH.
You know the Disney character Grumpy? You’re that guy.
DeepPurple, AstroDin liked this
 #22683  by Paul C
 Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:55 pm
I re-sorted in positional order

Also am updating with the Paul C "star" grading system that I just made up
* 1 star = good recruit...this is the lowest grade because we all know there is no such thing as a bad recruit
** 2 star = really good recruit
*** 3 star = OMG WOW I can't BELIEVE WE GOT HIM

Updated 12/10: Here is a summary of our 13 (8 D, 5 O) commits to date with other offers listed....

4 DB
2 LB
2DL
3 OL
1 WR
1 RB

**Kendall Thomas RB (5-8, 175) Round Rock, TX (AFA, Dartmouth, Princeton)
*Ambe Caldwell WR (6-1, 182) Atlanta, GA (So Ill, AFA, Columbia, Yale, Fordham)
***EJ Wilson OL (6-4, 290) Xenia, OH (Colo St, Akron, YSU, EKU, Ivies, AFA, Navy, Colgate)
***Dylan Davis OL (6-3, 260) Bradenton, FL (Illinois, Iowa St, Army, Cornell)
***Blake Hundley OL (6-4, 285) Clarksville, TN (Richmond, APSU, Kansas, Kentucky, Yale, South Carolina, UTM)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Seth Johnson DL (6-2 265 DL) Chattanooga, TN (Western Illinois, Lafayette, Columbia)
**Jeremiah Jackson DL (6-0, 250) Fleming Isl, FL (Chattanooga, Fordham, Colgate, Chas So, Ivies)
**Ty Youngblood LB (6-0, 210) Greeneville, TN (Army, Navy, AFA, ETSU, Richmond)
***Evan DiMaggio LB/TE (6-3, 225) Buford, GA (Colo St, Liberty, Central Fl, Akron, Coastal Car, UNCC, AFA, Cincy)
**Jack Rhodes DB/OLB (6-1, 188) Alpharetta, GA (Jax St, Ivies, Coastal Car, EKU)
*Caden Richards DB (6-1, 180) Gaffney SC (Mercer, Richmond)
**Micah Robinson CB (5-11, 160) Westlake, GA (Jax St, Wofford, So Ill, Tenn Tech, Tenn St, So Ill, APSU)
**Ivan Yates DB (5-11, 175) Roswell, GA (Air Force, Bucknell, Liberty, South Alabama, Austin Peay, TN Tech, Ivies)
FUKA61, AstroDin, Jasper liked this
 #22692  by FurmAlum
 Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:44 pm
youwouldno wrote:
It's not a secondary priority. CCH has his QB's, Grainger and/or Sisson.

P.S. you need a surname - youwouldnoNothing.
DeepPurple liked this
 #22694  by AstroDin
 Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:20 pm
I'd say this is a big honor… Jack Rhodes Region 5 7A Athlete of the Year
FUKA61 liked this
 #22703  by gofurman
 Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:50 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:01 am
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:43 am
gofurman wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:23 am
If the recruits are as good as the posts here imply (I will go with that for now) I assume we will do a little better in the playoffs next year or in a year or three. I can't wrap my head around these posts of our recruits and what I saw vs Woff and Cit and APSU... because I read the same thing the past two years. And we now know the SoCon is an EASY league to win. It is per our playoff "performance" of Furman and WOff. So if these posts about the quality of these guys are correct we should win the SoCon. I really do hope these are Great recruits ! I am about as passionate a Furman fan as there is ;) .

I REALLY hope we have some nasty interior DL and safeties coming .. and aren't we supposed to be getting a QB? I really ask that - wasn't that a priority for this year?
Half of our offense was freshmen this season.

Rome wasn't built in a day.
I've never heard QB was the priority… that said our coaches are still out there recruiting - so your knock-on Furman's recruiting class is a bit pre-mature).

Concerning this class and recruiting under CCH… to my eyes, it's pretty obvious we have a lot of young talent and our coaches are developing that talent. This will be year four of the CCH era the turnover from Fowlers era starts this season.

On paper this class builds on a highly regarded 2019 class - DiMaggio (LB), Davis (OL/DL), Wilson (OL), and Yates (DB) are all ranked in the Hero-Sports Top 50 recruits. Blake Hundley (2 SEC offers) no doubt is in the top 50, maybe the top 10.

Back to your last point JT… watch the film of who's committed. The DINS have two DTs committed Seth Johnson and Jeremiah Jackson. Based on offers Furman wants more commits at DT and DE so I'd hit the brakes. Safety… we've got our men… If you don't see the willingness to hit and the physical abilities of Caden Richards and Jack Rhodes - I can't help ya - no wait - I'll make it easy for ya…

Caden Richards senior season - by the way - he plays against the highest level competition in the state:

Jack Rhodes does it all for Miton, love this play:
1) - First, I appreciate Astro responding to me. thank you. I mean that. I seek no arguments here. I just post what I think.

2) I really meant NO KNOCK on recruiting.. NONE AT ALL. Only that if the kids are as great as we say here then it sure ought to show on the field soon. I hope it does!

3) I don't follow recruiting that close

4) And probably most important - we SURE AS HECK need some physicality out there. Tackling and hitting with a vengeance. If we don't improve that we are in trouble ... Every 'tougher' team beat us. Woff, Citadel,AP.. and ETSU was v physical and hung around - no denying physical run teams were our bugaboo. I miss Staggs some
 #22704  by gofurman
 Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:08 am
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:43 am
gofurman wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:23 am
If the recruits are as good as the posts here imply (I will go with that for now) I assume we will do a little better in the playoffs next year or in a year or three. I can't wrap my head around these posts of our recruits and what I saw vs Woff and Cit and APSU... because I read the same thing the past two years. And we now know the SoCon is an EASY league to win. It is per our playoff "performance" of Furman and WOff. So if these posts about the quality of these guys are correct we should win the SoCon. I really do hope these are Great recruits ! I am about as passionate a Furman fan as there is ;) .

I REALLY hope we have some nasty interior DL and safeties coming .. and aren't we supposed to be getting a QB? I really ask that - wasn't that a priority for this year?
Half of our offense was freshmen this season.

Rome wasn't built in a day.
Jackal, I agree 100%. I just want consistentcy in what we post. Many people who were singing our praises and saying that these Freshman could lead us to a SoCon title and an easy playoff win or two this year of 2019 now say "well, what do you expect, they are freshman?" - RIGHT. I agree. They are freshman. Which is why we need to not get so "purple-glasses" at the years start and think we will win the SoCon with so many freshman... After watching this year and the first 5 or 6 games go so well and 2nd half of the year look so different we need to temper our expectations if we still are playing a lot of freshman.

The only counterpoint to our freshman notation would be we actually had a very "elder/senior" defense last year... and they folded in the second half of the year too. That was very odd. They were pushed around by Woff and AP was breaking our ankles.. that was painful to watch.

We need leadership. We need physical play. We need a better passing game - more consistent. We need a run defense - I bet CH is steaming thinking of the way Woff and Citadel ran on us. Hope we get these items resolved !
 #22714  by AstroDin
 Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:32 am
JT, I think you answered your own question… in the latter part of the season, you saw some freshmen getting PT and some veterans seeing less PT. The problem with this is some of these younger players need more time to develop physically. Take Hugh Ryan the guy is 18 years old is playing at 6-1 190, I bet in a year or so he will be more developed and his physicality on the field will improve.

The lifeblood of a program is a healthy stream of players that raise the competition level. CCH mentioned several times this was an odd Furman team - he referenced this related to the extremes of experience. A small group of veterans with a lot of PT with a large group of freshmen (RSFR & FR) that will have to be counted on.

At the same time, there is now this chess game of playing players four games and keeping a redshirt on them. Hendrix and Lusk had to dance with Toomey and Johanning this year to keep them redshirted.

Fingers crossed we can get this group of commits signed next week. On paper, this class appears to have the potential to challenge for PT in 2020. No doubt some positions are underlined with an immediate need.

Safety, defensive line/end, linebacker, wide receiver, offensive line need depth and starters replaced.
 #22715  by The Jackal
 Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:31 am
AstroDin wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:32 am
JT, I think you answered your own question… in the latter part of the season, you saw some freshmen getting PT and some veterans seeing less PT. The problem with this is some of these younger players need more time to develop physically. Take Hugh Ryan the guy is 18 years old is playing at 6-1 190, I bet in a year or so he will be more developed and his physicality on the field will improve.

The lifeblood of a program is a healthy stream of players that raise the competition level. CCH mentioned several times this was an odd Furman team - he referenced this related to the extremes of experience. A small group of veterans with a lot of PT with a large group of freshmen (RSFR & FR) that will have to be counted on.

At the same time, there is now this chess game of playing players four games and keeping a redshirt on them. Hendrix and Lusk had to dance with Toomey and Johanning this year to keep them redshirted.

Fingers crossed we can get this group of commits signed next week. On paper, this class appears to have the potential to challenge for PT in 2020. No doubt some positions are underlined with an immediate need.

Safety, defensive line/end, linebacker, wide receiver, offensive line need depth and starters replaced.

I think we all need to have an honest understanding about the youth on the team. It is perfectly consistent that a kid can be talented, look great at times, and make mistakes.

When you watch the games - and I mean really watch them - look at not just the result of the play, but what actually happened. Sometimes you can see the youth out there - a guy runs the wrong way, we overrun our protection, miss a block, make the wrong read, etc. Most players go through those growing pains. There's a huge jump between playing 3A football (or whatever) in Bugtussell, Tennessee and then playing in the SoCon.

Just as a random example, look at PJ Blazejowski. In 2016, his junior year (not freshman, junior), we played an early season game at the Citadel. Blazejowski through for 200+, lead the team in rushing, and we lost to a very good Bulldog team by 5. You may recall that Blazejowski threw two crippling interceptions late in the fourth quarter - both ill advised throws to well covered receivers just trying to make a play.

The next season, with a better system that fit his skills, coaching and now as a senior, he lead the SoCon in pass efficiency and completed over 60% of his passes. Our offense had a complete turnaround.

Just for argument's sake, look at Blazejowski's numbers as a freshman (2014) and Grainger's (2019). They are very similar. Roughly the same number of attempts, yards, and rushing yards. Blazejowski threw for a higher completion percentage, but Grainger had a much better TD/INT ratio.

These guys are going to keep getting better. The coaching staff clearly likes who they have. They'll keep running them out there.
FurmAlum liked this
 #22796  by FUwolfpacker
 Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:31 pm
So I guess the question now is, would we still take Burnette since Leavy is just listed as a punter? I would think so. Like what I saw from Burnette's film.
 #22798  by The Jackal
 Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:58 pm
FUwolfpacker wrote:
So I guess the question now is, would we still take Burnette since Leavy is just listed as a punter? I would think so. Like what I saw from Burnette's film.
One obvious downside to Atkins potential departure is losing essentially three starters - pk, ko, and punter
 #22802  by gofurman
 Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:16 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:58 pm
FUwolfpacker wrote:
One obvious downside to Atkins potential departure is losing essentially three starters - pk, ko, and punter
All those FGs and KO that went out the endzone(or no return).. man. But we have had a good run at kicker for a long time I admit
 #22803  by gofurman
 Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:17 pm
Yadkin wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:03 pm
youwouldno wrote:
You know the Disney character Grumpy? You’re that guy.
Remeber just recently .. We said "attack the IDEA, not the PERSON ". C'mon guys. we can disagree without attacking the person.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.