• SoCon today

#22424  by Paul C
 Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:17 am
Yes, academic standards are tougher than they were even 10 years ago.
 #22706  by gofurman
 Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:22 am
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:19 am
Paul C wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:06 pm
Jasper is spot on.

Our academic restrictions are tough to overcome....and just to be VERY CLEAR, Wofford takes kids every year that we have a "DNR" (Do Not Recruit) given by Admissions. And it hurts us in our ability to take transfers.

Is this as fatal as Jasper implies above? No I don't think so, but it forces us to run the program well and play the long game. We need to have a high batting average in recruiting and be a "development program"....that is bring kids in, redshirt them, get them some seasoning, and THEN expect them to contribute. NO QUICK FIXES, and mistakes can compound quickly. We are still feeling the effects of some recruiting mistakes by the former Admin even after 3 years of Clay. Case in point is OL. The former staff got behind the curve and then tried to make up for quality with quantity. This then handcuffed the current staff to only a very limited number of OL in his first classes.

Clay and his team can do it but it's tough
I think your point about the OL is a good one.

The OL is an area that just takes time to develop. We really haven't seen what that looks like as a finished product under Hendrix - most of the guys that play the majority of snaps are still Fowler recruits.

Transitioning from high school to college is a little more complicated with linemen than at other positions.
100% agree !! Even I (LOL) noticed many guys on OL who didn't play much when I would glance at the roster the past few years. Seems it was more on OL than other positions that this was the case. You will always miss on some recruits - sure - but can't miss that much at one position or you are hamstrung. And we were. That REALLY hurts to miss on a lot at one position when you only have 63 scholarships. I feel hopeful CH will get this going as that is his specialty
 #22711  by AstroDin
 Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:14 am
Paul C speaks the truth about the DNR issue <> as it relates to Wofford.

The other side of the coin here is Furman (outside of SC and GA) is recruiting less and less against the Terriers. On Paul's list, you find Patriot schools, Ivies, and Academies. Plus an odd mash-up of Group of Five schools. Furman is having success here - are the DINS batting 100% - nope, no school can say that.

The academic challenges are a reality that won't go away. That said Furman Football is relevant again. We're raising the bar on the level of players we're getting into the program - IMO due to the effort and strategies of this coaching staff.
FUKA61 liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.