• Winthrop @ Furman (Dec. 14)(BSWA)

#22629  by apaladin
 Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:23 pm
I think it is possible to host a tourney but it needs a big corporate sponsor or 2. Most of the big boys go to these tourneys so I don't think giving up home games is a problem. Some of these tourneys are their only games away from home. Coastal Carolina's venue is tiny so teams are not getting paid thru ticket sales, pretty much the same with CofC though they do have a bigger venue(3k?). Would love to see an 8 team holiday tourney like both of these.
In case you didn't know the "Well" will host the SEC womens tournament again this year and also host the women's regional to dtermine a final 4 team, not the first round. The men's first round also returns in 2 years.
Affirm liked this
 #22631  by gofurman
 Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:32 am
I don't post here much (basketball) but I will tell you Winthrop is GOOD. They have a nasty transfer. What stinks is that if Furman loses people will see we lost to Winthrop and think we aren't good just bc they don't a name program... But they are every bit the good program this year - beat Saint Mary's (top 25) and played Duke very tough in Cameron. Would be a good win!
 #22633  by gman
 Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:47 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:34 pm
affirm wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:01 pm
Will someone please remind me why we cannot return to having a tournament (downtown) each year in November or December that would have Furman hosting 3 other opponents from ACC, SEC, Big 10, Big 12, PAC 10, or Big East?
affirm that is a good question, only thing I can think is that #1 the tourneys FU did in the early Bi-Lo center days did badly attendance wise and #2 those tournaments now-days like to be located in beach/destination type places ie. Charleston/Myrtle Beach, ect. have them now

I think if we can get nearly 3k for Winthrop, 3k+ for UNCG and nearly 5k for Wofford we will be well on our way to getting a big name to come to downtown Gville to play us in the 'Well' during the regular season in future seasons to come

I also would like to see our Saturday home games at Timmons against ETSU, UTC and Citadel sell-out
Don’t forget that the “host” team cannot play in the early tournament every year. For example CofC can only play in the early season Charleston Classic once every four years.
 #22637  by Affirm
 Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:05 am
The reason I asked about a tournament with big names (and including FU as host and participant) was for the purpose of drawing big crowds to games involving FU to the Well. Having thought some more as well as having read several responses, I think this idea is not a good one for FU to pursue. I withdraw my question. However, I do hope we can succeed in getting a big name every November or December to come play us at the Well, such as a Kansas, a Georgetown, a Butler, a Baylor, an Ohio State, a Notre Dame, a Kentucky, a Duke, a Princeton, a Yale, a Michigan, maybe one or more of the service academies (Army, Navy, Air Force),
a George Washington’, a Maryland, a Gonzaga, a UCLA, a BYU, an Appalachian State, a WVU, a Villanova, a Seton Hall, a Saint John’s, an ECU, etc. My suggested teams list has very few ACC and very few SEC schools, because those already go to play in Clemson or in Columbia.
I am not disrespecting Winthrop by any means. Winthrop has a very good chance to beat Furman.
(The academies are not big basketball names, but having one come play could be made into a big promotion to attract the “general public” including veterans, family of active duty, citizens who are highly supportive of military. In fact, we could work on it becoming an annual tradition in our home schedule to have one of those 3 at the Well. Hopefully, those would be winnable games more often than not. And Appalachian State, ECU, GWU are not the really big names but could be highly promoted for various reasons.)
 #22644  by apaladin
 Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:42 am
Looking at ticketmaster, looks like we are loking at maybe 1,500 to 1,800 Saturday unless there is a big walkup which is unlikely. :(
 #22645  by gman
 Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:01 am
apaladin wrote:
Looking at ticketmaster, looks like we are loking at maybe 1,500 to 1,800 Saturday unless there is a big walkup which is unlikely. :(
I don’t know what you are looking at. It looks like only about 50 reserved seats are available on the lower tier. I expect attendance to be at least 4,000.
 #22647  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:22 am
Its practically impossible to know what to expect from viewing ticketmaster, but I think best case scenario for this one given prices and opponent is around 3k, and that's if we get a really good student turnout, hopefully they follow through and have student attendance to this thing very well coordinated
 #22649  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:25 am
https://www1.ticketmaster.com/furman-pa ... ANBBALLDEC

ie. ticketmaster:
Sections 100, 105, 111 and 116 have never been listed for sale

Looks like students and band will be placed on endzone floor seats (which is good)

The General Admission endzone seats which are a little cheaper don't show how many have been sold on ticketmaster

Seems all Season ticket holders will be placed on the side behind team benches (101-104)
Will be interesting to see how many people attend on the the other side

I doubt Winthrop will have many fans there at all, especially since they will be 4-6 if they lose to TCU Wednesday
 #22656  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:14 pm
gman wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:03 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:30 am
Interesting to see the tickets that are listed for sale on Vivid Seats:
https://www.vividseats.com/ncaab/furman ... 04345.html
Ticketmaster, Vivid, all of them. Bunch of crooks. Seriously, the venues and these tickets sites are ripping people off.
For sure

Question
If we get some Greenville walk-up on gameday that wants to purchase tickets (reserved sections or general admission) at the arena, does the arena charge fees at the ticket window above the ticket price value?
 #22660  by gman
 Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:38 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
gman wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
Ticketmaster, Vivid, all of them. Bunch of crooks. Seriously, the venues and these tickets sites are ripping people off.
For sure

Question
If we get some Greenville walk-up on gameday that wants to purchase tickets (reserved sections or general admission) at the arena, does the arena charge fees at the ticket window above the ticket price value?
There is no up-charge when tickets are purchased at the box office.
 #22668  by apaladin
 Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:21 pm
gman wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:38 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
gman wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
For sure

Question
There is no up-charge when tickets are purchased at the box office.
I just purchased 2 tickets at the Well this morning for friends and they did charge $3 per ticket. The good news is the they were $15 not $20 so they were $18 each. These were in 104 next to my season tickets in 103. While I was there I bought some concert tickets and there was no fee for them. Maybe they charged me the $3 in error. Correction, I just realized they did charge me 25% for the concert tickets. I hope this is not a new thing.
Last edited by apaladin on Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
 #22669  by apaladin
 Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:27 pm
gman wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:01 am
apaladin wrote:
I don’t know what you are looking at. It looks like only about 50 reserved seats are available on the lower tier. I expect attendance to be at least 4,000.
I thought the same thing when I looked at the single game tickets. However they are still pushing the 3 game book ticket so if you click to buy the book ticket all those seats I thought were sold for the Winthrop game are still available, not sold as it appears on for the single game. It will depend on the student and walkup sales. Another factor is how many season ticket holders will actually show up?

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Scouting Samford

by gofurman

Sun Sep 22, 2024 1:39 am

Default Avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by gofurman

Sun Sep 22, 2024 1:29 am

User avatar THE NEW SEASON

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:57 pm

User avatar Bothwell

by FU Hoopla

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:46 pm

User avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:31 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.