• Mercer To Hire DREW CRONIC

#22623  by FUBeAR
 Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:00 pm
Paul C wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:25 pm
O/U on how long he will stay has opened at 2 years...
Wow...you really think he’s going to do well enough @ Mercer to be offered an FBS Head Coaching job after 2 years? That’s a strong vote of confidence from you, Mr. C.
 #22624  by Paul C
 Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:12 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Paul C wrote:
Wow...you really think he’s going to do well enough @ Mercer to be offered an FBS Head Coaching job after 2 years? That’s a strong vote of confidence from you, Mr. C.
“Good enough” in the eye of the beholder. History would support my hypothesis
 #22625  by FUBeAR
 Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:27 pm
FUpaladin08 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:29 pm
So another run-based team in the SoCon?
Run-based, yes. Run-exclusive, no. L-R ran the ball about 75% of the time this year & about 70% of the time last year. That’s roughly double the passing that the bellhops & anklebiters do. Some interesting stats can be gleaned from looking at the run/pass mix of the remaining 8 Teams in the FCS Playoffs (Hint: they are mostly run-based)...

Only one remaining team [in the FCS Elite 8], Montana, is in the top 40 in the FCS in passing yards per game. In fact, 5 of the 8 remaining teams are ranked 79th or lower in the FCS in passing yards per game...

So, if you want to win & advance in the Playoffs in FCS Football, you might had better RUN THE DANG BALL!

* Illinois State has the lowest ranked Passing Attack at #117 / 19 ATT / 123.8 ypg | 70/30 Run/Pass
* Montana State is next lowest at #99 / 26 ATT / 174.6 ypg | 64/36 Run/Pass
* Northern Iowa is next @ #90 / 25 ATT / 190.3 ypg | 59/41 Run/Pass
* The favorite to repeat, NDSU, checks in at #87 / 19 ATT / 190.8 | 70/30 Run/Pass
* Weber State, who beat Kennesaw last week, is #79 with 30 ATT / 197.9 ypg | 56/44 Run/Pass
* JMU, the favorite to knock off NDSU, is #54 & 24 ATT / 226.9 ypg | 67/33 Run/Pass
* APSU (FUBeAR’s ‘rooting favorite’) comes in at #41 with 30 ATT / 242.6 ypg | 58/42 Run/Pass
* Montana, as mentioned, is the only Team that slings it a bunch - #8 with 38 ATT / 304.9 ypg | 48/52 Run/Pass

Conclusion...yes, you need to RUN THE DANG BALL (#4, #8, #9, #28, #33, #45, #64, and, somehow, #101 (#7 in Total Defense, I guess) remain standing) but you better be able to throw it about 20-25 times for about 200 yards also.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #22626  by FUBeAR
 Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:50 pm
Paul C wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:12 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Paul C wrote:
“Good enough” in the eye of the beholder. History would support my hypothesis
In somewhat of an information vacuum, you are correct.

But, we have info beyond the raw data to which you allude.

We know that Coach Cronic’s step from HC @ an NAIA school to an OC @ an FCS school after 2 years in that HC spot was a ‘baby-step’ & some might say a step back. We know that Coach Cronic’s steps from an OC @ an FCS school to a HC @ a D2 school was a ‘baby-step’ & some might say a step back. IF he becomes the HC @ an FCS school from a HC @ a D2 school, that is a clear step up; so the dynamic is significantly different than those 2 prior moves.

Moving from an FCS HC to an FBS HC is an even bigger step up & it rarely happens without (relatively) sustained success @ an FCS school. Granted, Tom Arth going from Chatt to Akron was quite the WTFer, but the Zips were 0-12 this year, proving the folly of that hire. Now...there is the possibility that Coach Cronic could leave an FCS HC job (IF he moves to one) for an FBS OC gig, BUT, his ‘brand’ is Wang-T Offense. No non-Service Academy Fan Base is going to stand for that kind of OC hire...unless he loses/mitigates that brand while an FCS (possibly) HC.

Hence...FUBeAR would dispute your hypothesis & set the O/U at 4 years IF he becomes the HC @ Mercer.
 #22651  by Mr. Taggart
 Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:48 am
To quote my grandfather... the grass is always greener ... over the septic tank.

I would negotiate a substantial buyout were I the Mercer AD.
 #22655  by Paul C
 Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:04 pm
Paul C wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:57 pm
Line has moved to 2.5 yrs.
I think (and FUBear knows much better than I would) that Cronic is going to inherit a pretty good roster. Better than their record showed. So wouldn't be surprised if he adds a couple wins next year, and then a couple the year after. And then if past is prologue, bolts in 2 or THREE years for a low level FBS program.....

OK the line has moved to 3.0 years
 #22657  by sluggo
 Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:20 pm
What's the u/o that he'll be at Texas State if he does leave in 2 years?
I'll take that bet if I can combo the exacta with South Alabama.

I'm just going to assume that he will refuse to live in New Mexico.

LOL!
Mr. Taggart, Horse liked this
 #22671  by FUBeAR
 Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:59 pm
Paul C wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:04 pm
Paul C wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:57 pm
Line has moved to 2.5 yrs.
I think (and FUBear knows much better than I would) that Cronic is going to inherit a pretty good roster. Better than their record showed. So wouldn't be surprised if he adds a couple wins next year, and then a couple the year after. And then if past is prologue, bolts in 2 or THREE years for a low level FBS program.....

OK the line has moved to 3.0 years
Roster is good, but has a few holes (will not elaborate - watch their film if you want more info). Will compete in the SoCon next year...as they have every year; but competing in the SoCon is CLEARLY not good enough to be relevant nationally in FCS. I hope Mercer blows the top off of the Asst Coach Comp budget & ‘forces’ FU & all SoCon schools to do the same & I hope they do the same with the Recruiting budget & start paying FCOA to Players. SoCon has to improve & ‘staying competitive’ (with each other) is not going to accomplish that. Somebody’s gotta be the lead dog. If it’s Mercer, fine. If it’s Furman, fine...as long as the other one keeps pace, FUBeAR is happy. I’ve heard the view is much better for the dog(s) leading the sled & the SoCon sled needs to get back on the course.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.