• HERO Sports Preview of Furman

#2257  by FUBeAR
 Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:06 pm
https://herosports.com/fcs/football-201 ... urman-ajaj

“BEST-CASE SCENARIO: This Furman program seems like a lock for another playoff spot, even with the departures on offense. The question is, can it rise up and contend for the SoCon championship? The answer is yes, but there are landmines everywhere within the SoCon this year -- a conference that clearly will feature some of the top parity in the FCS this year. Teams like Wofford, Samford and Western Carolina should be solid again, but don't be surprised if Chattanooga, The Citadel and Mercer are formidable bounce back from losing seasons. Furman will have to win close SoCon ballgames, because there are going to be several.”
LB1987 liked this
 #2259  by Purpleglasses
 Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:08 pm
Also, if you click on the team rankings and click on Furman (#19)and it brings up team leaders from last season it will show PJ, Antonio etc.
But under with the actual stats, its not even our players... all this morning, it was listing the Elon Players and statistics.

I did notice the complete aversion to any Furman presence on the preseason all american picks, but I do agree with his assessment that we could win the conference this season.
If we do win the conference, there had better be some Furman Presence on the post season All American picks...that is when it counts.
FU69 liked this
 #2370  by The Jackal
 Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:16 am
Furman posted the following video on Twitter. I had forgotten this play, but it does suggest the Roberts has some pick up and go. He may not be "shifty," but he's certainly got the ability to hit a hole and get up field.

As an aside, I don't know if you want to go as far as calling a play "textbook," but this is a pretty darn good example of an option. Left side of the offensive line cuts down, C gets to the next level to obstruct backside pursuit, good pitch relationship with the running back, TE gets to the safety (not a great block, admittedly), QB correctly reads his key and keeps the ball, playside receiver works to get inside of his defender for a block, and the FB (Gibson, I think) absolutely annihilates the LB. When the FB makes contact, he's at the 50 yard line. The LB ends up on the 46. That's a block.

Roberts is a big kid, and I expect that once he turns up field and accelerates he's probably a tough guy to bring down by just diving at him. Even the guy that finally tackles him makes contact about the 17 yardline and Roberts gets another 10 before going down.

Fessor, dornb liked this