• Playoffs Today

#22508  by FurmAlum
 Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:32 am
APSU played to win tonight. They were aggressive and the playbook was wide open. Helps to have a senior QB.

Up 14-0 in the 1st Q they kick and recover an onsides kick. Then later on 4th and 1 they run it up the middle for a TD.

They had a whole package of plays they used in the second half that Sac St hadn't seen yet.

This game didn't have the chipiness that the FU game had. They played hard but didn't pile on after the whistle and taunt like they did against us. No unsportsmanlike penalties.

And last but not least, they've played 8 consecutive quarters with only 1 turnover.

I think they will give M State a run for their money.
 #22510  by fufanatic
 Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:41 am
apaladin wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:09 am
fufanatic wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:59 pm
So Austin Peay is good, and the middle of FCS is garbage compared to the elite of FCS. Some of those scores were embarrassing. That’s a tough pill to swallow. We have a long way to go.

Don't know about that. 3 of the top 8 lost today. Agree, we have a long way to go. Anyone think FU will be ranked when the final poll is released at the end of the season?
I think the biggest issue in FCS is it’s so hard to compare teams year to year because there’s so few non-conference matchups. Austin Peay may very well be a legit top 8 team, but OVC is traditionally not good thus a round of 24 placement. It’s obvious there are only a few truly good teams in FCS, but besides NDSU and JMU, which everyone agrees are the cream of the crop, it’s a crap shoot year to year which teams round out the final 4/8.
 #22511  by tya1
 Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:57 am
FUKA61 wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:47 pm
APSU up 41 to 14 with 10 minutes left
Final score -- Austin Peay 42 - 28 Sacramento State.

Sac.State scored the last two TDs of the game to narrow the margin. APSU had about 300 yards rushing and 200 passing. Sac. State had over 300 yards passing on 21-53 attempts.

APSU didn't benefit from turnovers like they did against Furman. No short fields.
 #22520  by Jasper
 Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:36 am
APSU is a very well coached team with a few outstanding FBS type players on both offense and defense. Their QB is one of them and that it a big deal. Lots of transfers from Power 5 conferences as well. I think we greatly underestimated them and paid for it. Their offense is extremely creative. While leading 21 -0 at the half last night, they came out with a whole new set of plays I had never seen before. I think they will beat Montana State but do not have the depth to compete with NDSU or JMU. Some of our beat down in the APSU game is on us - fumbles, dropped passes, missed coverage, sloppy tackling but most of the loss is the result of good play by APSU.

That said, they are vulnerable to the pass and that is something that we simply could not do effectively when we played them. Obviously, the FU offense must show a passing threat in order for the preferred running game to work. All our FBS losses were to physical teams that stacked the box against the run and then blitzed on obvious passing downs. We badly need some receivers , especially with Gordon leaving.
 #22529  by purplehorse
 Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:51 pm
I think AP can compete with Montana State. Going to be about 30 degrees or lower so I hope they do not freak out like we did in 2006.

NDSU looked beatable today. JMU may be the better team.
 #22530  by The Jackal
 Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:56 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:51 pm
I think AP can compete with Montana State. Going to be about 30 degrees or lower so I hope they do not freak out like we did in 2006.

NDSU looked beatable today. JMU may be the better team.
Tough duty with a Friday game. Fly back across country and then turn around and do it again a few days later.
 #22533  by Kennypowers
 Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:26 pm
We wouldn't have won otherwise.....but I think Austin Peay kind of punked us and out toughed us. All this talk of cheap shots and piling on......meh. I didn't think it was that big of a deal, just some pushing and intimidating slinging to the ground and stuff. Cost them a penalty or two, but showed a nasty attitude. Frankly, it made us look feckless. We need to get tougher and more physical....and be a little more like that. I think it would help make up for some physical limitations we have.
bj93, Jasper liked this
 #22534  by purplehorse
 Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:35 pm
Furman this year did not have the physicality of Wofford, KS or AP to just name a few teams. We also at this point do not really know how to “win” big games. Hopefully all that will come.
 #22538  by cavedweller2
 Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:25 pm
I really thought KSU would beat Weber. APSU will leave Bozeman victorious.
 #22540  by cavedweller2
 Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:33 pm
It’s almost an East Coast / west coast thing now.

Top to bottom if SoCon played Big Sky and that’s our nine against their top 9 out of 13. 1 plays one and 2 plays 2 etc. : Which conference ends up with the better record?
Last edited by cavedweller2 on Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #22550  by hypercycloid
 Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:57 pm
Jasper wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:36 am
APSU is a very well coached team with a few outstanding FBS type players on both offense and defense. Their QB is one of them and that it a big deal. Lots of transfers from Power 5 conferences as well.
I think they have about 25 transfers, from CC and JuCo guys to SEC/ACC. Before today’s basketball game a friend and I were talking about what the difference might be between the number of athletic applicants that end up at Furman because of the academic requirements vs. the number that don’t end up here because of them. I think there’s no way the appeal of a good academic degree outweighs the flexibility of athletic requirements when it comes to recruiting advantage, but I’m not sure how much I’d like for Furman to change to tip the balance.
 #22551  by apaladin
 Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:02 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:33 pm
It’s almost an East Coast / west coast thing now.

Top to bottom if SoCon played Mountain West and that’s our nine against their top 9 out of 13. 1 plays one and 2 plays 2 etc. : Which conference ends up with the better record?
Prolly wouldn't do too well againt the Mountain West as it is an FBS conference. I assume you mean the Big Sky. :D
 #22552  by cavedweller2
 Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:02 pm
I was just seeing if anyone is paying attention.
 #22700  by apaladin
 Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:02 pm
Didn't realize 3 of the 4 quarterfinal games are Friday night. Inclement weather expected at all 3 sites Friday night. Weather not a factor at NDSU Saturday.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.