• Season Ending Thoughts

#22019  by gofurman
 Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:37 am
apaladin wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:11 pm
I'm a big supporter of CCH. He has said multiple times this year that he is happy where we are at. He said this as late as last week. Obviously, where we are at is not close to where we need to be to be competitive at this level. Next year? I will say I was much more optimistic after last year than I am after this year. Last year was much more encouraging after finishing strong and wins over WC and Citadel. This year we were not competitive with either and ended the season with a very poor effort and blowout loss. I know it is going to be a long off season for the players and coaches.
This is at least a little disturbing that the head coach said many times we were ready this year. “Depth and talent” were mentioned specifically on several occasions. I wonder if he is only looking at the SoCon opponents when he says that ? I wonder if CH hesitates to say that next year until we have played Woff etc. - and I think we can beat Woff just like 2018 - it’s all about completing passes ...
 #22021  by purplehorse
 Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:34 am
There are so many factors to discuss here.

If you had asked many before the season “If we get in the playoffs, will that be a successful year” they would have said yes. Heck I would take that most years and hope for the best.

The problem this year was after our strong start and our secondary illusions of greatness, we got killed by Citadel, laid an egg against Wofford, and we sneaked into the playoffs as one of the “last 4 in” and laid another egg. So based on that, the season was disappointing.

Regardless I hope we can get better. CCH did mention quite a few times about increased depth and talent this year. He wanted to get out of the conference in the playoffs and see how we fared against other teams and I believe he did see-and there ain’t no way to sugar coat it. Among other things, we need to recruit better athletes which is a challenge at Furman with the academic requirements. I still like CCH but hope the AP loss will be a reality check because I think he might have missed it against Wofford.
 #22030  by Jasper
 Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:57 am
It will be interesting to see what APU does going forward in the playoffs. They certainly looked like the best team we faced this year and that includes the FBS schools. They had some really good athletes on that team. But, as in all blowouts, it is difficult to determine whether they were that good or was Furman that bad. What was a tough, close ballgame at halftime turned into a rout in a manner of minutes in the 3rd quarter. Everything that could go wrong for FU did go wrong in that short period. No need to go over it. We wont be forgetting it soon anyway. Was that time frame just one of those flukes that happens in all sports or did it expose real problems? Was APU that good and responsible for our sudden crash or were we that bad? Time will tell I guess.

I cannot buy the big, bad, dirty, SEC transfers intimidation theory. If that were the case, we would have caved right away and the rout would have taken place in the 1st rather than the 3rd period. I think it was a combination of poor game preparation on our part and really good preparation on theirs.... plus pure bad luck. For a team that had not seen the option all year, they sure as hell defended it very well. Let's see what happens.
 #22032  by cavedweller2
 Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:09 am
At least we aint the dumpster fire that is the Columbia gamecocks.
Bootie, gman liked this
 #22037  by fufanatic
 Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:59 am
I think we were all fooled by this team's complete domination of teams like Mercer and Samford, who as it turns out are complete garbage. But at the time those looked like solid wins. I'll never understand how a team that scored 42 or more points 5 times against FCS/FBS competition on the year can turn around and score a combined 2 TDs in 3 losses to Citadel, Wofford and Austin Peay. That's just remarkable ... and not in a good way.
apaladin liked this
 #22140  by tim
 Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:51 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:09 am
At least we aint the dumpster fire that is the Columbia gamecocks.
Jake Bentley transferring...……..hmmmm?
 #22141  by FUBeAR
 Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:06 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:22 am
I think we made AP look much better than they are but I could be wrong.
APSU is a good and dangerous football team. I saw them play 3 complete games this year and parts of 3 others. Despite their propensity to get themselves penalized (FUBeAR told y’all that they push the boundaries often), they are very, very well Coached. Their QB has gone from the (still-dangerous) run around like a crazy whirling dervish that I saw as a True FR to a wily veteran, who gets the most out of his talents. He’s not the best passer around, but he has at least 2 (#2 & #11) Retrievers who will GO GET the Football if he puts it anywhere near them. And he can be dangerous improvising/extending plays with his legs. Their full cadre of RB’s (#2, #4, #5, #21...and #3 (if you count him)) is as strong as Wofford’s & Furman’s. Their Offense is highly diverse & they deploy their skill players in unique ways to access their best skills & they have fun while they are doing it. Both Fronts are big, fairly to highly athletic, & play nasty. They are an attacking D who will take risks with a wide variety of LB & DB blitzes. Their secondary will make mistakes & they aren’t the most sound ‘technicians’ of DB play, but they are athletic enough to overcome those things & they WILL hit people HARD.

Don’t count the Gov’s out @ Sacramento State. Will Healey made them think they were destined for great things despite their history & Hudspeth & Staff have Coached them up to get there...maybe. Long way to go out west, but I’m gonna pick ‘em to upset the Hornets.
FurmAlum, DeepPurple liked this
 #22148  by Paladin91
 Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:14 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
apaladin wrote:
APSU is a good and dangerous football team. I saw them play 3 complete games this year and parts of 3 others. Despite their propensity to get themselves penalized (FUBeAR told y’all that they push the boundaries often), they are very, very well Coached. Their QB has gone from the (still-dangerous) run around like a crazy whirling dervish that I saw as a True FR to a wily veteran, who gets the most out of his talents. He’s not the best passer around, but he has at least 2 (#2 & #11) Retrievers who will GO GET the Football if he puts it anywhere near them. And he can be dangerous improvising/extending plays with his legs. Their full cadre of RB’s (#2, #4, #5, #21...and #3 (if you count him)) is as strong as Wofford’s & Furman’s. Their Offense is highly diverse & they deploy their skill players in unique ways to access their best skills & they have fun while they are doing it. Both Fronts are big, fairly to highly athletic, & play nasty. They are an attacking D who will take risks with a wide variety of LB & DB blitzes. Their secondary will make mistakes & they aren’t the most sound ‘technicians’ of DB play, but they are athletic enough to overcome those things & they WILL hit people HARD.

Don’t count the Gov’s out @ Sacramento State. Will Healey made them think they were destined for great things despite their history & Hudspeth & Staff have Coached them up to get there...maybe. Long way to go out west, but I’m gonna pick ‘em to upset the Hornets.
I just want to know if you still have that Hospitality Suite booked in Frisco.... :lol: :roll:
 #22149  by FUBeAR
 Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:23 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:14 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
apaladin wrote:

I just want to know if you still have that Hospitality Suite booked in Frisco.... :lol: :roll:
Yes, booked on an annual rollover, 1-week-notice-cancellable basis. If the SoCon & its member schools don’t begin to make substantial changes & increased investments before the 2020 season, I’ll go ahead and cancel it permanently this coming August.
 #22150  by FUBeAR
 Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:27 pm
Paul C wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:27 pm
APSU is +13 and the money line is +350
If I have time to watch some SacSt video this week (which I doubt I will), I’ll give you the high sign to GO BIG, if I’m still feelin’ it for the ‘Nors. You know FUBeAR’s tips have financed a good 20’ - 30’ of that yacht you own!
 #22151  by FurmAlum
 Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:43 pm
I agree with FUBeAR. Sac St. better watch out for APSU. I would take the Govs and 13 points.
 #22160  by gofurman
 Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:42 am
FurmAlum wrote:
I agree with FUBeAR. Sac St. better watch out for APSU. I would take the Govs and 13 points.
So weird. APSU lost to freakin ETSU. Just odd
 #22169  by The Jackal
 Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:28 am
gofurman wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:42 am
FurmAlum wrote:
So weird. APSU lost to freakin ETSU. Just odd

Yes and no.

Sometimes things get away from you. It was 7-3 at half time and both teams were almost dead even statistically.

I said going into the game that APSU had some impressive skill players that were difficult to get down. I think the wet conditions just made them that much tougher to tackle. From my watching, we would have guys in position on defense and we'd seem to be unsure of our footing, guess wrong, and end up trying to arm tackle instead of drive guys to the ground.

Now, that isn't an excuse. The long screen pass, for instance, was just crappy defense. Still, we aren't as bad as we played Saturday. Everything just started to snowball and when you start fumbling and muffing punts, a football game can get out of hand in a hurry.
FUPlayer74 liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.