• SoCon Player of the Year Contenders

#20676  by fufanatic
 Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:26 pm
Newman must have seen my message. My apologies. He has a good shot at winning it, but still think Rainey has a good shot. Might come down to who wins next week.
 #20757  by gofurman
 Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:52 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:26 pm
Newman must have seen my message. My apologies. He has a good shot at winning it, but still think Rainey has a good shot. Might come down to who wins next week.
LOL - yeah, don't ever leave the opponent off the POY list. Bad karma :D
 #21561  by fufanatic
 Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:40 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:31 pm
Still have two weeks of SoCon games remaining for some teams, but this year's race is going to fascinating on offense. Here are the contenders ... let me know if I missed anyone. SoCon only stats below.

- Devin Wynn - 702 yards, 7.0 avg. per rush, 11 TDs, 100.3 avg. per game

- Ailym Ford - 835 yards, 5.7 avg. per rush, 7 TDs, 139.2 avg. per game

- Alex Ramsey - 924 yards, 5.0 avg. per rush, 19 TDs, 132.0 avg. per game

- Brandon Rainey - 478 yards rushing, 11 TDs, 79.7 avg. per game / 38-63 passing, 60.3%, 719 yards, 7 TDs, 119.8 avg. per game

- I guess you could also make a case for Reece Udinski or Joe Newman, but I've been way more impressed with the others above. Might just come down to who wins the SoCon.
Newman was named unanimous offensive player of the year. So I’ll take the blame for leaving him out of my top contenders list, but I did say it might come down to who won the conference so I’ll give myself partial credit. :D
gofurman liked this
 #21565  by gofurman
 Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:39 am
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:35 am
I think it will be difficult for a Furman offensive player in this system to win end of the year awards. We distribute the ball to too many players and no single guy is going to put up massive numbers.

That sort of makes Wynn's season more impressive to me, frankly. He's in the conversation with a fraction of the touches.
good point. I agree. It's a numbers thing in a lot of ways. I don't have a big issue w Newman winning this year bc "to the victor go the spoils" and they won outright etc . I know we often say the Woff QB doesn't matter - plug and play - but I felt Newman was a little better (faster?) than most. Though much of their success is that Senior OL ! I believe in OL and DL win games...

---
On a good note for us - and their are many - Woff loses many players (graduation) this year. That's the last time we will see a lot of those guys including Newman,.

I just looked as I was curious - Woff loses 11 starters to graduation. 3 starting OL. Though Jeresaty returns at Center... Newman at QB graduates. So that's 3 OL and the QB. Also the TE and WR and RB Morgan - Seven starters on O. 4 starters on D to inlcude LB Jireh Wilson (one of their best).. CB Gbeese.. Safeties Redwood and Alstatt

The only caveat is I expect their D to be at least as good if not better next year as they get back possibly the two best defensive players they have but who were out this year - Horton and other guy (name(?) who are their two best DL.
Looks like the O may take a step back though :D

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.