• Different Conferences

#21506  by purplehorse
 Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:48 am
Without looking up all the details I know that the Southern Conference is not ranked high as far as conferences go. This ends up being reflected in the playoff selections.

Is the reason we have dropped so far in national reputation and ranking only due to the loss of Marshall and years later App State and Georgia Southern? Of course these teams were replaced by programs with football programs being resurrected or started ( VMI, ETSU, Mercer etc.).

I would think that would be the lion’s share of the reason but are there other reasons? So do folks see any specific ways to elevate the conference other than better recruiting and scheduling and winning OOC games and playoff games?
 #21507  by BackupQB
 Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:07 pm
That's pretty much it. It's like if Alabama, LSU, and Auburn left the SEC, and you replaced them with Georgia State, Charlotte, and Troy.

I think this has impacted Furman on a more personal level. Without those teams on the home schedule, there's just not as much to get excited about. Wofford is the closest thing we have to a real rival, but it's nothing like the peak against GSU, App, and Marshall.

For the SoCon to regain any relevance, one or more teams have to have significant playoff success. It's on Furman and Wofford to sniff a National Championship, and compete for it on a somewhat regular basis.
purplehorse, Jasper, dornb and 2 others liked this
 #21511  by Affirm
 Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:34 pm
Either elevate the conference by taking in several CAA schools such as Elon, Richmond, W&M, JMU.
Or elevate Furman’s conference affiliation by joining the CAA, if necessary getting Wofford, Citadel, and WCU to go to CAA with us. CAA could become a 16-team FCS conference.
Last edited by Affirm on Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #21512  by cavedweller2
 Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:36 pm
Furman and Wofford win a couple playoff games each and have 3 get in next year.
gofurman liked this
 #21513  by Affirm
 Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:41 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:36 pm
Furman and Wofford win a couple playoff games each and have 3 get in next year.
Yes. Not easy, but that could happen a lot more easily and a lot faster that what I suggested.
 #21514  by cavedweller2
 Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:54 pm
FU gets auto bid at 8-0. bellhops and VMI 7-1, and 6-2 each with 8-3 or 9-2 overalls. ( Insert whomever you desire for 2nd or 3rd)
 #21515  by The Jackal
 Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:00 pm
A few things:

1. The SoCon lost their two biggest/best programs, both of which were national powerhouses. That is completely unique to the SoCon.

2. We have largely sucked in out of conference play. With few exceptions, the SoCon has struggled in OOC games against other major conferences.

3. One of the SoCon's premier programs, Wofford, appears petrified to play any team not named Gardner Webb out of conference. The Terriers almost never stretch themselves in scheduling or have a chance to win notable matchups.

4. Some of our teams have just been underwhelming.
 #21518  by cavedweller2
 Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:02 pm
That is why both FU and Wofford winning multiple games this year is important. If we lay eggs and crap our hats then we will have to pay the piper. And I aint talking about Rowdy Roddy.
fufanatic, gman, gofurman liked this
 #21519  by FUBeAR
 Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:07 pm
* E-Loan (not a national powerhouse)

Marsha moved down from the SoCon 22 years ago
 #21520  by fufanatic
 Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:19 pm
We were honestly fine after losing Marshall. The real killer was ASU and GSU leaving at the same time. I don't know how to fix that other than winning, which I think is possible, but we really need some bigger schools to step up - hard to ask a bunch of small private schools to carry the load nationally forever. Looking at you Chattanooga, ETSU and Western.
 #21521  by gman
 Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:45 pm
Many on this board downplayed the significance of losing App State and Ga. Southern. The conference and Furman football has not been the same since they left. Just look at attendance for proof. The cost in dollars lost for our program has to be huge. I hope I’m wrong, but I don’t see a great future for SoCon football. Again, I hope I am proven wrong. So far, it’s dying a slow death, and it’s painful to watch.
 #21524  by fupaladin01
 Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:06 pm
True there weren't any programs ready to pick up the slack when ASU and GSU left, but FU didn't do itself any favors by having arguably it's worst 5-year period when it should have been the standard-bearer for the conference.

Chattanooga has the potential (and possibly ETSU) of becoming a perennial power in the SoCon. Mercer has a shot but they'll have to hire an excellent coach and it will take a few years. I think Bobby Lamb built a solid foundation though. Citadel may be be closer to returning to early 90's form than we care to admit. Wofford has done its fair share of having national success in the last decade. If they remain consistently in the playoff picture, and Furman continues on our trajectory, all we need is one of those aforementioned schools to go 7-4, 8-3 and beat OCC foes more often than not and I think we'll be in the "Big 3" type discussions again.

Sidebar: does anyone think it would be a good idea to play App State for an FBS matchup? Pros/Cons?
 #21531  by youwouldno
 Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:32 pm
gman wrote:

Many on this board downplayed the significance of losing App State and Ga. Southern. The conference and Furman football has not been the same since they left. Just look at attendance for proof. The cost in dollars lost for our program has to be huge. I hope I’m wrong, but I don’t see a great future for SoCon football. Again, I hope I am proven wrong. So far, it’s dying a slow death, and it’s painful to watch.

The ship has likely sailed so far as the SoCon being a good FCS football conference. It was actually falling behind even before GSU and App St left. The eastern US FCS conferences in general have declined - the SoCon obviously, but the Patriot League is almost indescribably bad now, and the CAA has JMU up top but is weaker than before beyond them. The most likely explanation is a saturation of football programs in the key southeastern recruiting areas (particularly by mid-major FBS programs).

Conference realignment at least wound up with the SoCon being unexpectedly strong in basketball, which was a concern after losing Davidson and CoC. That's the more nationally relevant sport (vs. FCS football) and also more suitable for small schools with necessarily small alumni/fan bases.
gman, fufanatic liked this
 #21560  by fufanatic
 Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:11 pm
The last current SoCon school to make an FCS semifinal? Us in 2005. Wofford went to one in maybe 2003. Western went to one in the early 80s. Anyone else? I hope it’s Furman, but we desperately need a league school to be more than a corpse in the postseason. A good start would be for both Furman and Wofford to win Saturday, and for at least one to pull a second round upset and advance to the quarters. And then for other schools to step up.
gofurman, dornb liked this
 #21567  by gofurman
 Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:58 am
youwouldno wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:32 pm
gman wrote:

The ship has likely sailed so far as the SoCon being a good FCS football conference. It was actually falling behind even before GSU and App St left. The eastern US FCS conferences in general have declined - the SoCon obviously, but the Patriot League is almost indescribably bad now, and the CAA has JMU up top but is weaker than before beyond them. The most likely explanation is a saturation of football programs in the key southeastern recruiting areas (particularly by mid-major FBS programs).

Conference realignment at least wound up with the SoCon being unexpectedly strong in basketball, which was a concern after losing Davidson and CoC. That's the more nationally relevant sport (vs. FCS football) and also more suitable for small schools with necessarily small alumni/fan bases.
I believe we can still be succesful (CH has shown that to a degree ) but it is painful for me as a math nerd to figure all the scholarships (Mercer, App FBS, GSU FBS, Georgia State, UNC Charlotte, WOff as D1 instead of D2).. that just limits EVERYONE. Instead of 2 teams getting 10 good players each we have 10 teams getting 2 good players each.

Time will tell - please no more dam football programs in Southeast. How about someone start a football team in North Dakota area !!
FUpaladin08, fufanatic liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.