• Paranoia

#21354  by purplehorse
 Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:19 pm
I was very confident we would get in this year. With us being one of the last 4 IN, I will be extremely paranoid next year. Who knows if Towson had won yesterday which one of the “last 4 IN” teams would be at home today?

The Southern Conference is getting NO RESPECT.

Last Four IN

Furman 8-4
Illinois State 8-4
Kennesaw State 10-2
North Dakota 7-4

First Four Out

New Hampshire 6-5
South Carolina State 8-3
Southern Illinois 7-5
Towson 7-5
 #21363  by fufanatic
 Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:52 pm
Us and Wofford both need to win first round games and one of us needs to pull an upset to help get the SoCon some respect. We’ve never recovered nationally from App and GSU leaving. Until the SoCon starts earning some respect, this will keep happening. I will say I don’t think we would have been last 4 in if we could have replaced the Point win with a D1 win.
 #21366  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:54 pm
We need to stop scheduling two FBS games. That was the problem.

If we'd played another OVC team or Big South team like everyone else does, it wouldn't even be a question.
din23, bj93 liked this
 #21370  by purplehorse
 Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:07 pm
I hate pulling for Wofford, I really do, but I honestly think the better the two teams do, the more beneficial it will be in future years.

Furman badly needs to take care of business against AP. Any playoff game is a “big game” It is time for us to win a “big” game.

In fact, beat AP and I will say a pretty successful season. Win two games and I will say a great season. Lose, and I will say a little disappointing.
 #21371  by gofurman
 Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:10 pm
The Jackal wrote:

If we'd played another OVC team or Big South team like everyone else does, it wouldn't even be a question.
THIS. Thank you jackal. TWO FBS kills you. As someone on AGS told me, you can't schedule your way into the playoffs but you sure can schedule yourself OUT !!! (it was a discussion of Furman and others who took TWO FBS gamnes)

And yes, as much as it pains us - we need us AND Woff to win some. Solidifies us as a two bid league next year. Both SoCon teams lose in first round of playhoffs and we are not in a good place starting out next year.

Also need SoCon to win OOC games next year !!!!!
Affirm liked this
 #21372  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:18 pm
I doubt we would hav scheduled two FBS games if it wasn't a 12 game season. Still, with two FBS games and an NAIA opponent, Furman essentially had to win 7 of 9 games this year to even be in the conversation.

Fortunately, they did.
 #21385  by Paul C
 Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:05 pm
My sense is that the Point game neither hurt nor helped....
FUKA61, gman liked this
 #21387  by apaladin
 Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:14 pm
Don't have a problem at all in 12 game seasons playing 2 FBS. I think a 7 point loss to a top 25 FBS team is better than Big South win. If Point would have been another D1 game we would have been a lock. It's not all just about the playoffs, most enjoy the FBS game experiences and the players do too. We could have won both FBS games this year. If we could ever win one it is pretty much a golden ticket to a seed like Central Arkansas did this year. Lord knows we need the money as we still can't afford a playoff game. Losses to FBS do not hurt playoff chances. Yes to 2 FBS games in 12 game seasons. The opportunity only happens every 5 years or so.
Affirm, fufanatic, dornb liked this
 #21393  by FUPlayer74
 Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:00 pm
The Jackal wrote:

Playing two FBS games helps to sustain the program. Losing to Wofford and Citadel was the problem IMO.
If we have to play two FBS every year so we can continue to play Div 1 football, I say go for it. Plus I can assure you the players would rather play VaTech than Point.
Bootie, MNORM, Affirm and 3 others liked this
 #21403  by Affirm
 Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:41 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:07 pm
I hate pulling for Wofford, I really do, but I honestly think the better the two teams do, the more beneficial it will be in future years.

Furman badly needs to take care of business against AP. Any playoff game is a “big game” It is time for us to win a “big” game.

In fact, beat AP and I will say a pretty successful season. Win two games and I will say a great season. Lose, and I will say a little disappointing.
As long as we beat Wofford every season in every competition against them, I do not mind pulling for Wofford to win; except when their winning against some other opponent they are playing would harm our standing in a SoCon ranking or national ranking). Wofford is our rival. We need a strong rival.
fufanatic, dornb liked this
 #21404  by apaladin
 Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:00 pm
The next time we can play 12 games is in 2024 and 2025. We already have one FBS game for each of those years. WC has 2 FBS games scheduled for 2022 along with an away game at KSU. So if that holds true they would only have the 4 Socon games at home. I suspect they will move that KSU game to another year. If we want to schedule another FBS game in 2024 and 2025 I am for it.
The old blue crab liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.