gofurman wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:06 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:48 pm
YES!
2 goods and a bad

1) so glad we are in
2) love playing Austin Peay

3) - when will our Administration step up and bid us for a HOME game??
019 AT APeay.. 2017 AT Elon.. 2013 AT SC State.. 2006 AT Montana State

The guys try so hard - we really ought to rewward them with the administration getting us a home game in a bid scenario. I do know we tried w a decent bid (but not enough apparently) this year
All we had to do was to beat Wofford and we would not be worrying about a bid. Not getting a top seed and a couple of home games is not on the administration. Let’s be appreciative of getting in, despite zero good wins in a weak SoCon. Beat AP!
gman, you know your stuff and I agree we beat WOff and we are at home.. 0 but many team have home games that didn't do more than us. Their administration put $ to make it happen. The team or the admin can make it happen.

That said, if it were just this year or if in the last 2 out of 4 playoffs we were at home... I really wouldn't say much about it. It's that it is every year for a very long time that other teams outbid us. To your point of winning SoCon by beating WOff.... Well, Back in 2013 we WERE the SoCon champions!! and we still got sent on the road ... because our admin didn't step up quite high enough.

I do hear we really tried this year w a better bid. That's really good. I hope we keep making the playoffs and now the AD knows what didn't quite do it this year from a $ standpoint.

I mean, we all know home vs road - that home win percentage is better and worth about 5 points easily. This 2019 team has done some wonderful things on road - strong at FBS and winning phenomenal at Samford... but I am speaking from year 2006 on in a larger data set and about bids.... not this team in particular

Go Paladins!!!
 #21357  by FUwolfpacker
 Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:32 pm
According to the playoff committee chairman, it's not just about the bid. He mentioned the bid, but also mentioned quality of the facility, previous history of playoff attendance and I think a couple other things.

It's possible we could have made a great bid. It's also possible that APSU, who was making the playoffs for the first time, put up an extremely large bid. Heck, we could have made a slightly larger bid than APSU, but the NCAA decided to bet on the fact that APSU is going to draw more based on the excitement of it being their first playoff game. I really don't know. If more than just the bid goes into home field, our modest at best turn outs in previous years maybe hurt us?

Look, I don't have the answers, and I know a lot of people love to bang on our administration for...well...almost everything (they put too much into football!, they don't put enough into football!, they don't bid enough for home games!, they should lower ticket prices!), but unless someone here knows the exact bid amounts, we're all just guessing about what our admin did or didn't do. Again, if the selection committee takes into account more than just the bid, it's at least possible our administration but up a good enough bid to beat a lot of teams and the committee decided to go a different direction.

I say this fully aware that we have supposedly not been competitive in past bids.
MNORM liked this
 #21359  by Jasper
 Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:33 pm
gofurman wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:41 pm
gman wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:16 pm
gofurman wrote:
AstroDin wrote:
YES!
2 goods and a bad

1) so glad we are in

The guys try so hard - we really ought to rewward them with the administration getting us a home game in a bid scenario. I do know we tried w a decent bid (but not enough apparently) this year
All we had to do was to beat Wofford and we would not be worrying about a bid. Not getting a top seed and a couple of home games is not on the administration. Let’s be appreciative of getting in, despite zero good wins in a weak SoCon. Beat AP!
gman, you know your stuff and I agree we beat WOff and we are at home.. 0 but many team have home games that didn't do more than us. Their administration put $ to make it happen. The team or the admin can make it happen.

That said, if it were just this year or if in the last 2 out of 4 playoffs we were at home... I really wouldn't say much about it. It's that it is every year for a very long time that other teams outbid us. To your point of winning SoCon by beating WOff.... Well, Back in 2013 we WERE the SoCon champions!! and we still got sent on the road ... because our admin didn't step up quite high enough.

I do hear we really tried this year w a better bid. That's really good. I hope we keep making the playoffs and now the AD knows what didn't quite do it this year from a $ standpoint.

I mean, we all know home vs road - that home win percentage is better and worth about 5 points easily. This 2019 team has done some wonderful things on road - strong at FBS and winning phenomenal at Samford... but I am speaking from year 2006 on in a larger data set and about bids.... not this team in particular

Go Paladins!!!
I hear that we made a very good and realistic "bid to win" for a home game. Austin Peay is a state school and is bidding with taxpayer money just as South Carolina State a few years ago while they were underwater financially. The APSU stadium holds 8000 people. So, assuming they don't fill it but average a healthy 7000 in attendance, how much do you bid to get that? I know an AD at another school who bid for a playoff game a few years ago and won it only to lose their shirts. Let's see how happy APSU is that they won this bid after the game.
 #21360  by gofurman
 Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:35 pm
Jasper wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:33 pm
gofurman wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:41 pm
gman wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:16 pm
gofurman wrote:
AstroDin wrote:
YES!
2 goods and a bad

1) so glad we are in

Go Paladins!!!
I hear that we made a very good and realistic "bid to win" for a home game. Austin Peay is a state school and is bidding with taxpayer money just as South Carolina State a few years ago while they were underwater financially. The APSU stadium holds 8000 people. So, assuming they don't fill it but average a healthy 7000 in attendance, how much do you bid to get that? I know an AD at another school who bid for a playoff game a few years ago and won it only to lose their shirts. Let's see how happy APSU is that they won this bid after the game.
Jasper, Fair enough man. I hear you and I also hear from good people like yourself we really tried harder this year which is good. I understand we can't lose our shirt to get a home game.

Jasper is good people :D
 #21365  by Bootie
 Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:54 pm
gofurman wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:09 pm
Bootie wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:08 am
gofurman wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:30 am
...Each and every year we want the SoCon to get multiple bids. Right? Who doesn’t want that? No one should want the SoCon to be a one bid league....
Speak for yourself. I've never needed or wanted multiple SoCon bids. Sure, it is beneficial for the SoCon as a whole, but my team is Furman, not the SoCon. As long as Furman gets in, I've never cared who does or does not get in after that.
Bootie, sure.
But it's the same thing in a sense - if the SoCon gets multiple bids that HELPS FURMAN get in. Put simply, if we were a one-bid league it's only Woffd and Furman is not in this year! Case closed.

It benefits Furman for the SoCon to get national credit. It does. Again, if we were a one-bid league.. Furman is sitting at home this Thanksgiving.
Sure, it helps Furman this year because we didn't get the auto-bid, but my care is not that the SOCON gets multiple teams in, my care is that FURMAN gets in. I don't care that Citadel didn't get in this year. And next year, when we get the auto-bid for winning the conference outright, I don't care if anyone else gets in after us. I'd actually be a little bit happy for Furman to be the only one in and Wofford to be sitting at home.
MidlandsPaladin, MNORM, Davemeister and 3 others liked this
 #21368  by gofurman
 Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:02 pm
Bootie wrote:
gofurman wrote:
Bootie wrote:
gofurman wrote:
...Each and every year we want the SoCon to get multiple bids. Right? Who doesn’t want that? No one should want the SoCon to be a one bid league....
Speak for yourself. I've never needed or wanted multiple SoCon bids. Sure, it is beneficial for the SoCon as a whole, but my team is Furman, not the SoCon. As long as Furman gets in, I've never cared who does or does not get in after that.
Bootie, sure.
But it's the same thing in a sense - if the SoCon gets multiple bids that HELPS FURMAN get in. Put simply, if we were a one-bid league it's only Woffd and Furman is not in this year! Case closed.

It benefits Furman for the SoCon to get national credit. It does. Again, if we were a one-bid league.. Furman is sitting at home this Thanksgiving.
Sure, it helps Furman this year because we didn't get the auto-bid, but my care is not that the SOCON gets multiple teams in, my care is that FURMAN gets in. I don't care that Citadel didn't get in this year. And next year, when we get the auto-bid for winning the conference outright, I don't care if anyone else gets in after us. I'd actually be a little bit happy for Furman to be the only one in and Wofford to be sitting at home.
Bootie, I hear ya man. I get that. We can agree to disagree.. We both agree it helps Furman this year. But many want the SoCon to get back to a big three so it allows our beloved Paladins multiple paths to playoffs. SoCon autobid is 1 path.. or at-large because our conference is getting national respect.

I hear ya though .. i understand your view. I think I just think like some players I talked to - one in particular told me he would give anything to make playoffs in any way form or fashion.. he is JUST ONE GUY I fully admit but these competitive guys (brothers in arms) want any chance they can get to keep playing - especially the Seniors who if SoCon only gets one bid their entire CAREER is over. I especially want playoffs for these Seniors. It's hard when you walk off field for last time knowing you will never play again.

I hear ya. The only last thing that occurred to me is last year was so painful (that's probably where my thought is coming from in part) and we were a SoCon champ and got left at home. I think ALL SoCon champs - not just the tiebreaker team - should go to playoffs.

Go Furman !!!
Affirm liked this
 #21375  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:22 pm
The SoCon had a top 10 team to start the season, Furman spent most of the year in the top 20 (after missing the post season last year). I think we had plenty of respect nationally.

The issue is that a lot of the other conference teams decided to stink this year. The SoCon also performed pretty weakly in OOC play. Not talking about some of the game against top teams, but the SoCon shouldn't be losing to Tenn Tech, Campbell, Gardner Webb, and South Carolina State.

Of course, Furman didn't help this situation for a long time. Wofford and UTC carried our water for a few years while we were wandering in the wilderness.
 #21377  by gman
 Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:25 pm
Bootie wrote:
gofurman wrote:
Bootie wrote:
gofurman wrote:
Bootie, sure.

Short sighted. You should care, so the SoCon will begin regaining some respect.
 #21382  by Bootie
 Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:58 pm
SoCon getting respect has no impact on me if Furman doesn't get in. Imagine next year if SoCon get's 3 teams in: Woffy, Samford and Cit, while Furman sits at home. I get no joy or added satisfaction by sitting home on playoff weekend thinking, "Wahoo! At least the SoCon got 3 teams in!". haha

Priority 1: Furman.
apaladin liked this
 #21388  by apaladin
 Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:31 pm
Bootie wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:58 pm
SoCon getting respect has no impact on me if Furman doesn't get in. Imagine next year if SoCon get's 3 teams in: Woffy, Samford and Cit, while Furman sits at home. I get no joy or added satisfaction by sitting home on playoff weekend thinking, "Wahoo! At least the SoCon got 3 teams in!". haha

Priority 1: Furman.
Agree Bootie, this is just like all those fans that are conference fans. SEC and ACC come quickly to mind. Never understood pulling for the teams that you are competing against to do well.
 #21390  by DeepPurple
 Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:50 pm
I think we are getting great support from our administration, especially our new AD. I think we got a great bracket. I think we are different in terms of offense in anything AP has seen. I think our kids will lay it out there and give us a chance to be successful. I think this FB program has given us all a lot to be thankful for here at Thanksgiving. Happy Thanksgiving and Happy DINS!
AstroDin, FUKA61, Jasper and 3 others liked this
 #21392  by Jasper
 Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:59 pm
DeepPurple wrote:
I think we are getting great support from our administration, especially our new AD. I think we got a great bracket. I think we are different in terms of offense in anything AP has seen. I think our kids will lay it out there and give us a chance to be successful. I think this FB program has given us all a lot to be thankful for here at Thanksgiving. Happy Thanksgiving and Happy DINS!
I heard from one of our captains today and he told me he is "locked in" for the playoffs and will make sure the rest are as well. He is not ready to play his last college football game as yet. The players are mentally ready and will give it their all.
Affirm, DeepPurple, AstroDin and 2 others liked this
 #21397  by Affirm
 Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:19 pm
FUwolfpacker wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:32 pm
According to the playoff committee chairman, it's not just about the bid. He mentioned the bid, but also mentioned quality of the facility, previous history of playoff attendance and I think a couple other things.

It's possible we could have made a great bid. It's also possible that APSU, who was making the playoffs for the first time, put up an extremely large bid. Heck, we could have made a slightly larger bid than APSU, but the NCAA decided to bet on the fact that APSU is going to draw more based on the excitement of it being their first playoff game. I really don't know. If more than just the bid goes into home field, our modest at best turn outs in previous years maybe hurt us?

Look, I don't have the answers, and I know a lot of people love to bang on our administration for...well...almost everything (they put too much into football!, they don't put enough into football!, they don't bid enough for home games!, they should lower ticket prices!), but unless someone here knows the exact bid amounts, we're all just guessing about what our admin did or didn't do. Again, if the selection committee takes into account more than just the bid, it's at least possible our administration but up a good enough bid to beat a lot of teams and the committee decided to go a different direction.

I say this fully aware that we have supposedly not been competitive in past bids.
The excitement factor for a playoff game at APSU seems important. I believe ticket sales factor will relate to that excitement factor. The number of students out of our 2600 who would not be still at home celebrating Thanksgiving will be considerably smaller than the number of students out of APSU’s who would not be still away. It also seems relevant that our home ticket sales for this Saturday would have been impacted by “local” big games and times for those, including Georgia, Clemson-UofSC, Alabama-Auburn. All 3 of those conflict with our game time and thus attendance. Ohio State-Michigan, relevant to Clemson’s playoff future, also is at a conflicting time. In the area where APSU is, VU is at Knoxville and MTSU is away (though not far away). But neither of those will impact very much on attendance in the APSU area.
(Having said all the above, I nevertheless do not know
whether to expect near-capacity attendance or relatively low attendance at APSU. But perhaps the committee thinks it will be higher attendance there and thus more ticket dollars than it would have been at Furman this coming weekend with all that “local” competition for football interest.)
 #21400  by gofurman
 Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:33 pm
Jasper wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:59 pm
DeepPurple wrote:
I heard from one of our captains today and he told me he is "locked in" for the playoffs and will make sure the rest are as well. He is not ready to play his last college football game as yet. The players are mentally ready and will give it their all.
Awesome - and THIS is why I want multiple bids for SoCon. Quite simply because the PLAYERS themselves want it. They - especially Seniors- don’t want POINT to be the finale. They want to keep playing. This is what guys told me too

If you only want Furman in and not a 3 bid conference then you are making it harder on our OWN FURMAN team to get in Playoffs. I am not an "SEC, SEC" guy but if it helps Furman - AND IT DOES - to have SoCon get respect then I am all for it. As of today , 3 people in program have now told me (and just watch our video of selection show !!) they are glad the SoCon gets at-large bids. Our own guys want SoCon to get multiple bids

In short, multiple bids for SoCon means more years Furman plays for a National Title and more years we are in the playoffs. Sure, I want to be a SoCon outright champ but reality is like this year.. we are 2nd and the guys are excited to be playing. And they deserve to be playing..
fufanatic, dornb liked this
 #21408  by FUPlayer74
 Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:38 pm
gofurman wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:02 pm
Bootie wrote:
gofurman wrote:
Bootie wrote:
gofurman wrote:
Bootie, sure.

Bootie, I hear ya man. I get that. We can agree to disagree.. We both agree it helps Furman this year. But many want the SoCon to get back to a big three so it allows our beloved Paladins multiple paths to playoffs. SoCon autobid is 1 path.. or at-large because our conference is getting national respect.

I hear ya though .. i understand your view. I think I just think like some players I talked to - one in particular told me he would give anything to make playoffs in any way form or fashion.. he is JUST ONE GUY I fully admit but these competitive guys (brothers in arms) want any chance they can get to keep playing - especially the Seniors who if SoCon only gets one bid their entire CAREER is over. I especially want playoffs for these Seniors. It's hard when you walk off field for last time knowing you will never play again.

I hear ya. The only last thing that occurred to me is last year was so painful (that's probably where my thought is coming from in part) and we were a SoCon champ and got left at home. I think ALL SoCon champs - not just the tiebreaker team - should go to playoffs.

Go Furman !!!
Who wants the Socon to get back to a big three??
Let's get back to a big ONE!

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.