• 2018 Recruiting

#2124  by The Jackal
 Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:04 pm
Also worth noting that a bunch of guys in the program right now are accomplished track sprinters. Not just “on the track team,” but guys that were contending for titles in track events as high school students. That definitely seems to be a focus in recruiting.

I think you could probably make a pretty compelling argument that this could be the “fastest” Furman team we’ve seen.
 #2125  by AstroDin
 Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:14 am
The Jackal wrote:
Also worth noting that a bunch of guys in the program right now are accomplished track sprinters. Not just “on the track team,” but guys that were contending for titles in track events as high school students. That definitely seems to be a focus in recruiting.

I think you could probably make a pretty compelling argument that this could be the “fastest” Furman team we’ve seen.
To back up your point. … Dejuan Bell. Member of two state championship 4x400 relay squads...posted a winning time of 3:23.06 in 2016 and a school record mark of 3:21.0 in 2017.

http://www.hudl.com/v/27r42H
 #2126  by The Jackal
 Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:34 am
AstroDin wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:14 am
The Jackal wrote:

To back up your point. … Dejuan Bell. Member of two state championship 4x400 relay squads...posted a winning time of 3:23.06 in 2016 and a school record mark of 3:21.0 in 2017.

http://www.hudl.com/v/27r42H

I did a rough count yesterday, and there are probably a dozen or so guys with "sprinter speed."

That would not even count a lot of the guys who are fast and athletic for their respective positions.
 #2132  by MNORM
 Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:26 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:31 am
JohnW wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:27 pm
Six new Paladins listed on the roster. All mentioned here I believe except Domenic Ferrari, 6-0 210 DE, from Christ Presby.
looks like the 2018 class has numbers assigned. Back in the day when I played basketball, we fought over numbers… until the coaches stepped in. Always curious about numbers - are they random - do some players request a number? I expected Dejuan Bell to get one of my favorite numbers #1 that was his number in high school, but 88 is pretty cool. Also, think Sission got a good karma number… love #19 not a traditional Qb number but you can't argue with Johnny Unitas, Bernie Kosar, and Joe Montana (KC version). Also, highlighted a few more… I think it's interesting that Granger has a #6 - not sure but I think we've had very few single digit QBs at Furman. Love the #31 and #32 for the incoming running backs. Hackett and Gilby get #49 and #51 at linebacker, and man-beast Cujo Coleman gets #56 at nose guard - I expect to see that number called a ton in the future.

Trapp #4
Wilkins #5
Granger #6
Griffin #7
Sisson #19
Watkins #31
Abrams #32

Saylor #37
Blackshear #38
Silvestri #42
Hackett #49
Gilby #51

Coleman #56
Ferrari #57
Fisher #58
Tomlin #67
Ashley #78
Hall #80
Miller #82
Peterson #84
Bell #88
Shahriari #96

I think I got them all… 22 true freshmen.
;)
 #2133  by The Jackal
 Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:27 pm
So, I went back and looked. William Freeman was the last Furman linebacker to wear #49. Freeman was a senior in 2005.

Jax Hackett was 5 years old the last time a Paladin linebacker put on that number. In fact, that was the same year App State retired his dad's jersey.

Good company.
FUwolfpacker liked this
 #2657  by JohnW
 Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:30 pm
News in the latest Furman Sports Report regarding the off-season player losses. Melton Brown left to pursue a career in law enforcement, Cooper Hardin is coping with a medical issue, and Joe Farrar seems to have erred in some way.
 #2667  by Paul C
 Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:01 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Jax Hackett was 5 years old the last time a Paladin linebacker put on that number. In fact, that was the same year App State retired his dad's jersey.
I'm waiting to see FuBEAR or Sluggo will try to cut block Dino on his way to get a slurpee at halftime. Old habits and all.....
 #2670  by FUBeAR
 Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:37 pm
Paul C wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
I'm waiting to see FuBEAR or Sluggo will try to cut block Dino on his way to get a slurpee at halftime. Old habits and all.....
He’s a young buck compared to us old-timers.

On the other hand, if my friends, Jack or Jim or Bud, get into my ‘ear’ enough, you just may see #38’s heels in the air!

And I know sluggo has listened to that same Team of Advisors in the past, as well.

Well...now that I look, he was a FR on that App St Team that had us down 14-0 at half ...at which time sluggo provided a very colorful inspirational speech that could be heard clearly in both locker rooms and by anyone in the greater Watauga County metroplex. I was surprised they were brave enough to come out after halftime after mt. sluggo had erupted. We won 27-21...and...if he played...we already cut him...bet!
 #2703  by Fred Garvin
 Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:32 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:37 pm
Paul C wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
He’s a young buck compared to us old-timers.

On the other hand, if my friends, Jack or Jim or Bud, get into my ‘ear’ enough, you just may see #38’s heels in the air!

And I know sluggo has listened to that same Team of Advisors in the past, as well.

Well...now that I look, he was a FR on that App St Team that had us down 14-0 at half ...at which time sluggo provided a very colorful inspirational speech that could be heard clearly in both locker rooms and by anyone in the greater Watauga County metroplex. I was surprised they were brave enough to come out after halftime after mt. sluggo had erupted. We won 27-21...and...if he played...we already cut him...bet!
Paging Dr. Edmondson........

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.