• Playoff Picture

#21219  by The Jackal
 Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:05 pm
I just want to see us in the field.

I don't care who we play. I've seen enough FCS football to know that we can play with anyone in the country.
Flagman, MNORM, dornb liked this
 #21220  by Flagman
 Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:06 pm
All of this speculation is amusing. All of these speculative brackets are useless. The committee has their own way of setting things, and no one has been able to predict how they will look at things. I'll wait until 12:30 on Sunday. Then, I'll make plans. I still find it hard to believe that Wofford will jump from 17 to 7 or 8. Then again, when the first committee top list came out, New Hampshire jumped 11 places for no reason anyone could imagine. The committee doesn't seem to have the brightest bulbs on the string. If, in fact, we should draw Wofford for a second round game, what will the week off do for them?
fufanatic, Paladin575 liked this
 #21228  by gofurman
 Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:39 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:55 pm
gofurman wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:15 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:58 pm
Playoff field:
NDSU
JMU
Montana St
Weber St
Sac St
Kennesaw St
Central Ark
Wofford
Montana
Albany
Villanova
South Dakota St
Ill ST
South Carolina St
Monmouth
Central Conn St
SEMO
APSU
Holy Cross
San Diego
N Iowa
NIchols St
SELA
Furman
I SWEAR you had NC A&T on here. NC A&T who is going to Celebration Bowl since FAMU is ineligible. It showed up twice and then disappeared. Maybe I’m going crazy because it doesn’t say edit but I saw it. :D .
NC A&T replaced by Monmouth.
Thanks for response ! I thought I couldn’t handle my PBR anymore. :D
 #21232  by mathprofhiker
 Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:54 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:05 pm
Playing S.C. State first round in Paladin Stadium is the best scenario I have seen someone suggest so far.

My guess is that if Wofford played S.C. State in the playoffs it would not be close.
SC State has a very interesting profile. Their computer rankings are horrible; their at-large argument rests on an 8-2 FCS record and a Week 1 win over Wofford. That might be enough to get them in ahead of Kennesaw State or North Dakota. And yes, I would rather play SC State than the other possibilities that have been commonly mentioned.
 #21234  by apaladin
 Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:10 pm
You can forget SC State. The 3rd place team from the MEAC? They received ONE vote in this week's coaches poll. They beat sub .500 team in OT today. Not happening. They are not even on the radar. Only way they get in is political. Kennesaw St is a lock.
 #21239  by gofurman
 Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:01 am
In order of teams possible here’s who I see as best matchup for us - starting w best:

Austin P - best ( throw some from league we usually beat)
SC State

KSU - worst

We can beat em alk. Just how I see matchups.
 #21241  by gofurman
 Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:04 am
Flagman wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:06 pm
on is amusing. All of these speculative brackets are useless. The committee has their own way of setting things, and no one has been able to predict how they will look at things. I'll wait until 12:30 on Sunday. Then, I'll make plans. I still find it hard to believe that Wofford will jump from 17 to 7 or 8. Then again, when the first committee top list came out, New Hampshire jumped 11 places for no reason anyone could imagine. The committee doesn't seem to have the brightest bulbs on the string. If, in fact, we should draw Wofford for a second round game, what will the week off do for them?
Flag. Sure. But the very point of message boards is “useless” speculation. It’s just friendly banter. . Otherwise why have A message board at all? We could shut it down bad just wait on everything :D

Though I agree the FCS committee selections are some of the most random things I have ever seen. Hope most worthy 24 get in
 #21243  by gofurman
 Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:30 am
gman84 wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:51 pm
I don’t get it...we deserve to be in the playoffs, but, please not Wofford in the second round. And please not Kennesaw in the first round. Why don’t you worry about winning the first round game first. What do you want ? A bye straight to a title game with NDSU. If nothing else this thread is very amusing!
Sure.
I’ll tell you why. SIMPLE. 84, I KNOW you get this but if you are gonna post “whadda ya want,, a bye to the title game ?” Then I’ll take bait.

- Each and every year we want the SoCon to get multiple bids. Right? Who doesn’t want that? No one should want the SoCon to be a one bid league. I want to get back to a 3 bid league. Well, send us and Woff to the hardest opponents and we both have a greater chance of losing. OBVIOUSLY. (Yes, that’s captain obvious but some to want to play the toughest team and take all comers). Then, if Furman and Woff both lose in round 1, when next year rolls around the SoCon (since no one seems to lobby for us at Committee) has to overcome the same issue MEAC currently has - poor prior playoff performances. Sending us to SDSU and Woff to tough team in BFE isn’t in the interest of SoCon or Furman next year and all years going forward. Getting an easy opponent or two where we go 2-1 in playoffs helps next year as we
1) make SOCon look good ! and
2] our kids have a higher chance to keep playing more weeks and keep practicing!!

Besides there will Always and eventually be very tough opponents in playoffs. No need to wish NDSU on us in first round. Why not want an “easier” (relatively) game for 2 reasons I specify above ???

Be great if SoCon went 4-2 in playoffs or so
 #21247  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:50 am
Still not 100% confident on inclusion in the field. Seems like most pundits have us as one of the last three in/first three out.

It'll probably be close.
 #21248  by Bootie
 Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:08 am
gofurman wrote:
...Each and every year we want the SoCon to get multiple bids. Right? Who doesn’t want that? No one should want the SoCon to be a one bid league....
Speak for yourself. I've never needed or wanted multiple SoCon bids. Sure, it is beneficial for the SoCon as a whole, but my team is Furman, not the SoCon. As long as Furman gets in, I've never cared who does or does not get in after that.
gman84, apaladin liked this
 #21255  by gman84
 Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:07 am
gofurman wrote:
gman84 wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:51 pm
I don’t get it...we deserve to be in the playoffs, but, please not Wofford in the second round. And please not Kennesaw in the first round. Why don’t you worry about winning the first round game first. What do you want ? A bye straight to a title game with NDSU. If nothing else this thread is very amusing!
Sure.
I’ll tell you why. SIMPLE. 84, I KNOW you get this but if you are gonna post “whadda ya want,, a bye to the title game ?” Then I’ll take bait.

- Each and every year we want the SoCon to get multiple bids. Right? Who doesn’t want that? No one should want the SoCon to be a one bid league. I want to get back to a 3 bid league. Well, send us and Woff to the hardest opponents and we both have a greater chance of losing. OBVIOUSLY. (Yes, that’s captain obvious but some to want to play the toughest team and take all comers). Then, if Furman and Woff both lose in round 1, when next year rolls around the SoCon (since no one seems to lobby for us at Committee) has to overcome the same issue MEAC currently has - poor prior playoff performances. Sending us to SDSU and Woff to tough team in BFE isn’t in the interest of SoCon or Furman next year and all years going forward. Getting an easy opponent or two where we go 2-1 in playoffs helps next year as we
1) make SOCon look good ! and
2] our kids have a higher chance to keep playing more weeks and keep practicing!!

Besides there will Always and eventually be very tough opponents in playoffs. No need to wish NDSU on us in first round. Why not want an “easier” (relatively) game for 2 reasons I specify above ???

Be great if SoCon went 4-2 in playoffs or so
GF, I’m a SIMPLE person. Been that way as a result of multiple concussions back in the day. :D
 #21257  by FurmAlum
 Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:15 am
How could we not be in the top 24, after being ranked 9th until last week, and now 15th this week in the coach's poll? We're 7-2 vs FCS and have 2 close losses to successful FBS teams. I know, crazier things have happened...but

I think we're in this year.
 #21258  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:42 am
FurmAlum wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:15 am
How could we not be in the top 24, after being ranked 9th until last week, and now 15th this week in the coach's poll? We're 7-2 vs FCS and have 2 close losses to successful FBS teams. I know, crazier things have happened...but

I think we're in this year.
The committee screws teams every year.
 #21262  by AstroDin
 Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:08 am
I just can't see SIU with 5 losses getting in over us - same for SEL…

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.