• Bailey Rogers departure

#2110  by Affirm
 Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:47 pm
Paul C wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:37 pm
affirm wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:04 pm
Reason #4: SC needs, and is served by FU on many ways. FB players being from SC may indirectly highlight that fact.
Really? I just don’t get why you think there is any tie-in between FU and the state of SC? Again, outside of the local area.
Yes, really. Absolutely.
 #2111  by Affirm
 Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:57 pm
Paul C wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:33 pm
affirm wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:56 pm
Reason 1: Bleacher Report article dated March 9, 2018, ranks SC among the top 10 states nationally for HS football talent (#10).
Where does Georgia tank? Florida?

Not a strong point.
“Where does Georgia tank? Florida?” That makes no sense. Of course GA & FL do rank in the top 10 also, but the fact that SC is #10 means we should focus on SC to a reasonable extent. All of SC is closer than any of FL to FU and most of SC is closer than most of GA to FU. Why did you not bring up NC? They also are top 10 in that Bleacher Report article.
 #2115  by AstroDin
 Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:27 am
We are not the coaches…when you see over 200 juniors show up for junior day at the spring game.
The coaches are doing something right. Last season case in point.

Our coaches have to recruit players first that can get into Furman and they view as an academic and cultural fit.
As Jasper mentioned the coaches are raising the bar for recruiting… bigger stronger faster.
With more and more schools jumping into FCS football your cutting your programs throat by limiting your resources.

I don't care where they're from.
furman88, Jasper, MNORM liked this
 #2116  by The Jackal
 Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:05 am
The obsession with in-state players has never made sense to me. I'm in favor of going to get good football players that fit our program wherever they may be found.

For starters, Furman isn't ignoring players from South Carolina. They've got at least three coaches with deep football ties to the state (Shaw, Williams, and Sims). They recruit the state and play guys that come from that recruiting.

I have always viewed a lot of this as a numbers game. There is a deep saturation of football programs in the South. South Carolina has half the population of Georgia and NC and 25% the population of Florida. They also have 9 D1 football schools.

If you were Furman, it would be negligent to spend most of your time in a recruiting area that has a fraction of the available talent than the areas in close proximity to it. You want as broad a net as you can manage finding guys that fit this program.
AstroDin, Paladin82, Jasper liked this
 #2119  by JohnW
 Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:46 pm
There is much more discussion about Rogers leaving than there ever was about his actual play. From a purely football standpoint he is not thriving here and has every right to make whatever change he feels will benefit him.

The in-state player thing is well just not a thing to me. I haven't looked but I imagine the majority of our roster comes from a radius of 200-300 miles which from a time/resource standpoint makes sense. This is not a hardship because the southeast is such a talent rich area.

Now the point's been made that recruiting local talent makes Furman more valuable to the state. That view has merit, but looked at another way so does bringing bright young people from across the country to our state. Many of them stay becoming leaders in the community. Just get good, talented people here from wherever, SC when you can, and it's a win-win. The school as a whole needs a wide recruiting base and athletics can help.
Paul C, FUBeAR, Jasper liked this
 #2120  by Affirm
 Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:26 pm
JohnW wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:46 pm
There is much more discussion about Rogers leaving than there ever was about his actual play. From a purely football standpoint he is not thriving here and has every right to make whatever change he feels will benefit him.

The in-state player thing is well just not a thing to me. I haven't looked but I imagine the majority of our roster comes from a radius of 200-300 miles which from a time/resource standpoint makes sense. This is not a hardship because the southeast is such a talent rich area.

Now the point's been made that recruiting local talent makes Furman more valuable to the state. That view has merit, but looked at another way so does bringing bright young people from across the country to our state. Many of them stay becoming leaders in the community. Just get good, talented people here from wherever, SC when you can, and it's a win-win. The school as a whole needs a wide recruiting base and athletics can help.
So Bailey cannot thrive football-wise at FU, but he somehow can thrive football wise better at an SEC school? Hard to understand.
Perhaps it IS about his high-school friends and academics. I realize it is not easy for people to make the best decisions whe they are high school seniors. Hopefully the coaching staffs do the best possible job of letting recruits know what it’s going to be like so they don’t end up being unhappy and wanting to transfer. I do realize that transferring is epidemic these days.
 #2121  by apaladin
 Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:50 pm
affirm wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:06 pm
Reason # 5: More game attendance at FU by SC residents per each SC player than by nonresidents per each nonresident player.
Very little effect. Mom and Dad will be there, but 9 out of 10 friends and other relatives will still be at CU and SC if they go to college football games.
 #2129  by Jasper
 Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:47 am
a quick look shows Elon with 36 players from NC and Furman with 17 from SC - for what it's worth.
 #2130  by The Jackal
 Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:30 pm
Jasper wrote:
a quick look shows Elon with 36 players from NC and Furman with 17 from SC - for what it's worth.

That's not always an indicator. While sometimes difficult to find reported numbers, I think a lot of times the athletic programs mirror the student body as a whole.

Just as an example, take Mercer. The last time I looked, Mercer's student body was close to 90% Georgians. Their football team (based on a rough count) has over 60 players from Georgia. Their roster largely mirrors the student body geographically.

I don't know this for a fact, but I expect that Wofford has a higher (probably significantly higher) percentage of students from South Carolina than Furman. Their football team, as you might expect, has more South Carolinians than Furman's does.

None of this is scientific, but I expect the athletic programs tend to fall in line with what the admissions at the university stresses. Furman has historically been more geographically diverse than some of these other schools.
 #2134  by Jasper
 Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:34 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Jasper wrote:

That's not always an indicator. While sometimes difficult to find reported numbers, I think a lot of times the athletic programs mirror the student body as a whole.

Just as an example, take Mercer. The last time I looked, Mercer's student body was close to 90% Georgians. Their football team (based on a rough count) has over 60 players from Georgia. Their roster largely mirrors the student body geographically.

I don't know this for a fact, but I expect that Wofford has a higher (probably significantly higher) percentage of students from South Carolina than Furman. Their football team, as you might expect, has more South Carolinians than Furman's does.

None of this is scientific, but I expect the athletic programs tend to fall in line with what the admissions at the university stresses. Furman has historically been more geographically diverse than some of these other schools.
I agree. Just from my observations on the number of Wofford alum at various sports events, I would say they have a lot higher percentage of local South Carolinians than FU does these days.
 #2137  by The Jackal
 Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:21 pm
Jasper wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:34 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Jasper wrote:

I agree. Just from my observations on the number of Wofford alum at various sports events, I would say they have a lot higher percentage of local South Carolinians than FU does these days.

My understanding is Wofford has neither the resources nor the reach Furman does, and therefore opts to stay close to home. Makes sense.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.