#20974  by Paul C
 Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:30 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:17 pm
gman wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:08 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:03 pm
Amazing to be down only by 3 with Lyons and Hunter both 0-5 and Hunter 2-4 on FT.

It is going to be a long year if Lyons cannot get rolling.
Lyons. 33 points. Is that what you mean by rolling?
Exactly! To have a great year we need him to have a breakout year.

Overall still need to shoot better. Between the way we shot in the first half (35% overall and 23% from 3) and overall poor shooting in second half ( other then hitting first 3 3’s and Lyons getting hot at end), we need to improve our shooting. Had a 2 for 19 streak in the second half.

Kudos to Lyons. He is our go-to guy even when he scores 2 in the first half.
I think Noah is who needs the breakout year. Lyons is who he is. Solid defende, streaky shooter, better at dribble penetration than in past.

But we need a Noah to be a double digit scorer on 50%+ shooting and not turning it over 5 times like he did tonite.
 #20976  by fufanatic
 Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:48 pm
Disappointed we couldn’t pull it out but we win with better shooting. Great job creating turnovers, getting offensive boards despite size mismatch. Hope Gurley will learn from this game. We will be fine. I’m not worried.
MNORM, FUKA61, FU03times liked this
 #20977  by Paul C
 Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:51 pm
BTW it’s worth mentioning that 5 games into the season Alex Hunter has 18 assists and ZERO turnovers.

Need to get his shot falling but no doubt it will...

And looks like we only dropped from 71 to 75 in Ken Pom (pending the rest Of the games tonite)
FUKA61, FU03times liked this
 #20979  by FurmAlum
 Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:15 pm
Went toe to toe with an SEC team on the road. If we had just had an average shooting night we would have won that game. Would beat em by 20 at home. And Wimp Sanderson can kiss my a**!
fufanatic, FU03times and 1 others liked this
 #20983  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:38 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:15 pm
Went toe to toe with an SEC team on the road. If we had just had an average shooting night we would have won that game. Would beat em by 20 at home. And Wimp Sanderson can kiss my a**!
Yep that idiot geezer can kiss mine too :D

Agree we smoke Alabama at home, that's why these P5 teams are all afraid to come play us in Greenville these days
furpep liked this
 #20984  by apaladin
 Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:45 pm
18 total points from 3 starters just won't get it done. Blown opportunity against a nationally know NAME. BTW really looks like ETSU is going to be the team to beat. They were tied with Kansas in the second half and lost by 12.
 #20993  by The Jackal
 Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:08 am
As I often concede, I am not that knowledgeable on basketball matters.

It did appear to me, though, that it was the first time we really seemed to match up with an SEC team physically. Alabama had a few bigger bodies than we did, but we largely appeared to match them.
 #21012  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:00 pm
The Jackal wrote:

It did appear to me, though, that it was the first time we really seemed to match up with an SEC team physically. Alabama had a few bigger bodies than we did, but we largely appeared to match them.
I agree

We ever get to play a team like Alabama at home, we win hands down, on the road we needed to get hot from 3 early, but just could not find a good offensive rhythm
 #21017  by cavedweller2
 Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:41 pm
gman wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:02 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:54 pm
Shooting 27% from the field is not gonna get it done, need major improvement in our offense moving forward
Stop the overreacting already. This is one game. Again I say, we will be just fine.
Looked to me like they were at times having a contest to see up could put up the most off balanced 3 pointer from farthest away as the other stood around the 3 point line and watched. 11 - 41 from 3 point land is not the way to go.
 #21019  by FUpaladin08
 Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:25 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:00 pm
The Jackal wrote:

I agree

We ever get to play a team like Alabama at home, we win hands down, on the road we needed to get hot from 3 early, but just could not find a good offensive rhythm
And I believe the only way to get them to Greenville is to play them in the Well.
 #21025  by tya1
 Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:20 pm
Disappointed in the final score last night but not the effort and intensity. We had more assists, more steals, a lot fewer turnovers, and about the same number of blocks.

We missed so many open threes that it is amazing we still were able to keep the result in doubt until the final minutes. How many games are Hunter and Bothwell going to hit only 2-15 from the perimeter? I do think some players looked a bit over anxious. Rafferty was a safety blanket for us. We could always throw it inside and expect him to make good decisions. I think some guys will understand that they are the veterans now and step up. Lyons certainly did.

Jackal is right. Too much hand wringing.
FU03times liked this
 #21027  by apaladin
 Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:18 pm
Paul C wrote:
purplehorse wrote:
gman wrote:
purplehorse wrote:
Amazing to be down only by 3 with Lyons and Hunter both 0-5 and Hunter 2-4 on FT.

Overall still need to shoot better. Between the way we shot in the first half (35% overall and 23% from 3) and overall poor shooting in second half ( other then hitting first 3 3’s and Lyons getting hot at end), we need to improve our shooting. Had a 2 for 19 streak in the second half.

I think Noah is who needs the breakout year. Lyons is who he is. Solid defende, streaky shooter, better at dribble penetration than in past.

But we need a Noah to be a double digit scorer on 50%+ shooting and not turning it over 5 times like he did tonite.
I agree about NG. Too early to tell but I think Gurley and Mounce are the keys. Don't want to jinx him but Mounce seems to have stepped up his game and consistency. Mounce has been in double figures every game. Gurley has been in double figures in 3 of 5 games. Lyons will get his and hopefully his 3 point shooting will improve. Before the season I said I thought Hunter would be one of the leading scorers and he really needs to be. I think his shooting will improve but I wonder if the new 3 point line is a factor. Slawson is much improved and we will take any contributions he can give. Our bench is really short but both Bothwell and Clark are capable. I do think I need to work with Clark on his free throw shooting. :D
Last edited by apaladin on Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
furpop16 liked this
 #21038  by purplehorse
 Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:32 am
apaladin wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:18 pm
Paul C wrote:
purplehorse wrote:
gman wrote:
purplehorse wrote:

I agree about NG. Too early to tell but I think Gurley and Mounce are the keys. Don't want to jinx him but Mounce seems to have stepped up his game and consistency. Mounce has been in double figures every game. Gurley has been in double figures in 3 of 5 games. Lyons will get his and hopefully his 3 point shooting will improve. Before the season I said I thought Hunter would be one of the leading scorers and he really needs to be. I think his shooting will improve but I wonder if the new 3 point line is a factor. Lawson is much improved and we will take any contributions he can give. Our bench is really short but both Bothwell and Clark are capable. I do think I need to work with Clark on his free throw shooting. :D
Yes when his first free throw banked in and his next one banked out, I thought he had a new FT shooting strategy. Then the next time it was all net-a clean swish. So much for his new bank-shot method. You might help him with his dribbling also. He and Lyons are often a TO waiting to happen.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Scouting Samford

by gofurman

Sun Sep 22, 2024 1:39 am

Default Avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by gofurman

Sun Sep 22, 2024 1:29 am

User avatar THE NEW SEASON

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:57 pm

User avatar Bothwell

by FU Hoopla

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:46 pm

User avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:31 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.