• Southern Wesleyan @ Furman (Nov. 15)

#20463  by youwouldno
 Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:57 pm
I'm sorry, but giving up 10 offensive rebounds, committing 13 turnovers, and giving up a lot of open shots are not great against that level of competition.

As I said, I don't blame the players, it can't be easy for them to get excited about opponents like that.
 #20466  by CharlieFU
 Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:06 pm
I didn’t say it was “great.” Read my post again. What you point to as deficiencies are perhaps the very things I was referring to when I said the coach would use this to help the team improve.

Half full? Half empty?
MNORM liked this
 #20473  by youwouldno
 Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:22 pm
CharlieFU wrote:
I didn’t say it was “great.” Read my post again. What you point to as deficiencies are perhaps the very things I was referring to when I said the coach would use this to help the team improve.

Half full? Half empty?

I'm sure he will. I think he's a great coach. I only said it wasn't a good performance in this particular game, but as I said before the game, it was basically an exhibition anyway.
 #20474  by DungeonRealm
 Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:23 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:22 pm
CharlieFU wrote:

Half full? Half empty?

I'm sure he will. I think he's a great coach. I only said it wasn't a good performance in this particular game, but as I said before the game, it was basically an exhibition anyway.
Basically sure, but actually it was a real game ;)
 #20492  by fufanatic
 Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:26 am
Wasn’t always pretty, but a 22-point win won’t cause any casual observer to pause when they see the final score against a non-D1. Sloppy turnovers by Paladins, but very efficient shooting when they did get shots. Gurley was a man among boys. Got the win and can move on to bigger fish. I’m sure it will be used as a learning opportunity.
dornb liked this
 #20845  by dinhead
 Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:32 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:51 pm
Evansville is a D-I team from a strong mid-major conference, of course they listed the Kentucky game. The Furman-Southern Wesleyan game is an exhibition. It's not counted as a win by the NCAA for post-season purposes, and so why should SW count it as a loss?

I've heard Coach Richey's explanations on the podcasts about why these get scheduled . . . I understand what he said and don't have a solution other than money, which is in short supply as it is. But be that as it may, hopefully fans will support the exhibition and hopefully the team gains valuable practice experience.
351 D-1 teams and we have to play 3 "exhibition" games instead of real games for "financial reasons" ?
We pay these non D-1 teams to play us in an empty arena. How is that financially lucrative ?
 #20846  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:34 pm
dinhead wrote:
youwouldno wrote:
Evansville is a D-I team from a strong mid-major conference, of course they listed the Kentucky game. The Furman-Southern Wesleyan game is an exhibition. It's not counted as a win by the NCAA for post-season purposes, and so why should SW count it as a loss?

I've heard Coach Richey's explanations on the podcasts about why these get scheduled . . . I understand what he said and don't have a solution other than money, which is in short supply as it is. But be that as it may, hopefully fans will support the exhibition and hopefully the team gains valuable practice experience.
351 D-1 teams and we have to play 3 "exhibition" games instead of real games for "financial reasons" ?
We pay these non D-1 teams to play us in an empty arena. How is that financially lucrative ?

Maybe you should have attended the real game against DII Southern Wesleyan and you would know it was not an empty arena ;)

We all would want nothing but DI home games, but we should all know good and well by now the rationale behind our entire schedule thanks to the excellent All Din podcast that Bob Richey does
fufanatic liked this
 #20848  by dinhead
 Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:52 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:34 pm
youwouldno wrote:

Not sure why you bothered being redundant on the Evansville subject, I really don't care if SW lists it or not but the fact that they want to side step the game like it never happened means I give them zero respect
In your mind it may be an exhibition but in reality it is a real game that counts on our official record books
SW doesn't need our respect. We wrote them a check ! Lower subdivision teams can play extra games against D-1's that don't count (for them) and they make tens of thousands of dollars off of teams like Furman that are wiling to pay money to pad their win total.

I can't think of any other sport that allows one team to play a game that counts while the other plays it as an "exhibition".
How pathetic !
 #20849  by dinhead
 Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:01 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:40 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
youwouldno wrote:

Not sure why you bothered being redundant on the Evansville subject, I really don't care if SW lists it or not but the fact that they want to side step the game like it never happened means I give them zero respect
In your mind it may be an exhibition but in reality it is a real game that counts on our official record books

Well your comment made no sense because Evansville and Kentucky are both D-I, it was obviously a real game. The fact it was expected to be lopsided was irrelevant.

Non D-I teams do not count in the eyes of post-season committees which means they are de facto exhibitions. The fact they occasionally beat sorry D-I teams is irrelevant (albeit embarrassing for that D-I team).
Exactly. de facto exhibitions for teams that want to buy wins to pad their records and break NCAA records in games that don't really count for either team. Occasionally as in 6 wins and 461 losses last year for the non D-1's that participate in this charade.
 #20853  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:22 pm
dinhead wrote:
youwouldno wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
youwouldno wrote:

Well your comment made no sense because Evansville and Kentucky are both D-I, it was obviously a real game. The fact it was expected to be lopsided was irrelevant.

Non D-I teams do not count in the eyes of post-season committees which means they are de facto exhibitions. The fact they occasionally beat sorry D-I teams is irrelevant (albeit embarrassing for that D-I team).
Exactly. de facto exhibitions for teams that want to buy wins to pad their records and break NCAA records in games that don't really count for either team. Occasionally as in 6 wins and 461 losses last year for the non D-1's that participate in this charade.

And you are proposing what exactly?
 #20856  by dinhead
 Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:31 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
dinhead wrote:
youwouldno wrote:

Maybe you should have attended the real game against DII Southern Wesleyan and you would know it was not an empty arena ;)

We all would want nothing but DI home games, but we should all know good and well by now the rationale behind our entire schedule thanks to the excellent All Din podcast that Bob Richey does
Good crowd for a D-2 game and great support from the students but I've been to plenty of these games with only a couple hundred spectators. I can provide the attendance stats if you'd like but these games generally attract about half as many spectators as D-1 games and there's usually a huge number of "no show" season ticket holders.

And the rationale for playing only 2 games against "major colleges" ? Financial ? They'll pay us $100,000+ to play them.
 #20857  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:37 pm
dinhead wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:31 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
dinhead wrote:
youwouldno wrote:

Good crowd for a D-2 game and great support from the students but I've been to plenty of these games with only a couple hundred spectators. I can provide the attendance stats if you'd like but these games generally attract about half as many spectators as D-1 games and there's usually a huge number of "no show" season ticket holders.

And the rationale for playing only 2 games against "major colleges" ? Financial ? They'll pay us $100,000+ to play them.

Start listening to Bob Richey's podcast and you will learn the answers to all of this
 #20865  by dinhead
 Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:15 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:22 pm
dinhead wrote:
youwouldno wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
youwouldno wrote:

And you are proposing what exactly?
Play an all D-1 schedule replacing these non D-1 games with away games against major colleges. This would give us more than $250,000 in additional revenue as well as national TV exposure. Take that revenue and buy some home games against D-1 teams to equalize the number of home and away games.

There are no shortage of major colleges willing to buy home games. They need them as badly as we do and believe it or not most of them are not afraid to play Furman or any other SoCon team. The fact that Wofford scheduled 6 majors last year despite being favored to win the conference is proof of that.

There are plenty of mid-majors who need to play away "money games" to sustain their programs and this would also give us the opportunity to play "revenue neutral" home and home series games against out of area mid-majors like Bucknell, Navy, George Washington, William and Mary etc. Games that would actually count towards our NCAA resume and be of much greater interest to our fans than beating a 3 win North Greenville team ranked #300 in D-2 (Bennett rankings) or an 80 point win against a hapless non-scholarship bible college.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Scouting Samford

by gofurman

Sun Sep 22, 2024 1:39 am

Default Avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by gofurman

Sun Sep 22, 2024 1:29 am

User avatar THE NEW SEASON

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:57 pm

User avatar Bothwell

by FU Hoopla

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:46 pm

User avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:31 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.