• Wofford GAMEDAY!

#20628  by FU DAD
 Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:46 pm
Very disappointing watching today's game. We are better than that. Very poor effort.
 #20631  by purplehorse
 Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:52 pm
How did we beat Wofford 34-14 last year? There were times in years past where we could flat out stop the triple option. I think Staggs was very successful with this. That is no longer the case.

Wofford has beaten us 5 out of the last 6 so at present they are dominating the series. This will be there 4th year in a row in the playoffs. That is consistency!

They have been in playoffs 8 of the last 12 years and Furman 2 of the last 12. Make no mistake about their recent dominance over us in football.
Affirm liked this
 #20634  by Affirm
 Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:00 pm
purplehorse wrote:
How did we beat Wofford 34-14 last year? There were times in years past where we could flat out stop the triple option. I think Staggs was very successful with this. That is no longer the case.

Wofford has beaten us 5 out of the last 6 so at present they are dominating the series. This will be there 4th year in a row in the playoffs. That is consistency!

They have been in playoffs 8 of the last 12 years and Furman 2 of the last 12. Make no mistake about their recent dominance over us in football.
That is a fact.
 #20635  by gofurman
purplehorse wrote:

My thoughts on that. Would like input on where I am missing something - please reply with opinions

One. They aren’t running triple option. They are more a standard run team. They don’t throw much yet but the runs are not option runs for the most part

Two - we are quicker and smaller On defense now which helps vs Mercer and Samford and UTC and teams that throw. It hurts Vs Woff and Citadel. Not a coincidence. Teams that line up and get physical downhill run schemes are a weakness for us right now

Three - these D coaches seem better at scheming vs pass oriented offenses than run. Staggs was a master at run D. He was. In h the year Citadel beat USC Staggs had CSU beat Citadel TWICE. He was a genius at stopping option and run based offenses. That said he wasn’t super at stopping pass based offense. So I see us as better Vs pass offenses than in past (we are for sure) but a little struggle vs run offense. And that’s an issue w Woff and Citadel in league. As CCH says you win By running ball and stopping run. Neither of which we did today

Still. We Have to complete some passes to help our D. If we score 21 + that’s a different game. Very similar to Citadel game
 #20642  by The Jackal
 Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:11 pm
purplehorse wrote:

We beat them last year because we out played, out coached, and physically whipped them all over the field.

Football isn't a zero sum game. This Wofford team lost at home to a team we beat by 44 on the road. They aren't invincible. They played better than we did today. If we played them tomorrow, maybe a different result.

Regarding the option, remember we have a first year DC. We also rotate a lot of young guys who may not be experienced against the defense. Just today, I saw Agbenou, Lewis, and, I think, Coleman on the field at one time. Those are very inexperienced players going up against a very veteran offense.
 #20656  by apaladin
 Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:22 pm
This game went exactly as I feared. Our D could not get off the field. They 4-5-6 yarded us to death. Seemed like they were always second and short. We did not allow any explosion plays and that is why statistically WC had one of their lowest point totals and yardage totals of the year. They also had the ball 10 minutes longer. The D had one stop the whole game which was a 3 and out late. The other couple of times were aided greatly by penalties. It could have been worse and it could have been better if we had better play calling. Just don't understand calling a timeout to run the ball up the middle on fourth and one at the one. The O gave the D very little help.
 #20664  by FUpaladin08
 Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:47 pm
gofurman wrote:
purplehorse wrote:

My thoughts on that. Would like input on where I am missing something - please reply with opinions

One. They aren’t running triple option. They are more a standard run team. They don’t throw much yet but the runs are not option runs for the most part

Two - we are quicker and smaller On defense now which helps vs Mercer and Samford and UTC and teams that throw. It hurts Vs Woff and Citadel. Not a coincidence. Teams that line up and get physical downhill run schemes are a weakness for us right now

Three - these D coaches seem better at scheming vs pass oriented offenses than run. Staggs was a master at run D. He was. In h the year Citadel beat USC Staggs had CSU beat Citadel TWICE. He was a genius at stopping option and run based offenses. That said he wasn’t super at stopping pass based offense. So I see us as better Vs pass offenses than in past (we are for sure) but a little struggle vs run offense. And that’s an issue w Woff and Citadel in league. As CCH says you win By running ball and stopping run. Neither of which we did today

Still. We Have to complete some passes to help our D. If we score 21 + that’s a different game. Very similar to Citadel game
I’d say I like the new ability to stop the pass. This will work well for stopping most teams and matching up against teams in the playoffs. However, to win the SoCon you have to stop the run, specially option-based offenses.

To stop unique offenses a defense has to be willing to come out of their comfort zone. I recall the Bobby Lamb teams that had success against GaSU by switching to a 4-2-5 for the week. Now I feel like sometimes to a fault he got stuck in that defense and relied on it to heavily. I’d like to see DV try something like this. Come out of the base defense for a week and figure out what works. IDK, go to a dang coaching clinic or camp out in Staggs’ front yard over the summer? Just recognize that weakness needs to be resolved if we want to win the SoCon.
 #20666  by gman84
 Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:55 pm
FUpaladin08 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:47 pm
gofurman wrote:
purplehorse wrote:

I’d say I like the new ability to stop the pass. This will work well for stopping most teams and matching up against teams in the playoffs. However, to win the SoCon you have to stop the run, specially option-based offenses.

To stop unique offenses a defense has to be willing to come out of their comfort zone. I recall the Bobby Lamb teams that had success against GaSU by switching to a 4-2-5 for the week. Now I feel like sometimes to a fault he got stuck in that defense and relied on it to heavily. I’d like to see DV try something like this. Come out of the base defense for a week and figure out what works. IDK, go to a dang coaching clinic or camp out in Staggs’ front yard over the summer? Just recognize that weakness needs to be resolved if we want to win the SoCon.
Bobby Johnson
Paladin575, FUpaladin08 liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by paladinfan41

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:02 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.