• Southern Wesleyan @ Furman (Nov. 15)

#20310  by apaladin
 Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:41 pm
They are 1-1 after Saturdays win over Lander. They play Lenoir-Rhyne Wednesday and North Georgia on Saturday. According to their schedule they do not play Furman. I hope they show up Friday.
 #20315  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:04 pm
apaladin wrote:
They are 1-1 after Saturdays win over Lander. They play Lenoir-Rhyne Wednesday and North Georgia on Saturday. According to their schedule they do not play Furman. I hope they show up Friday.
Lol :D
All these lower tier teams have stop including FU on their schedule the past few years, must be a thing to just wash off a blowout loss like it never happened
 #20344  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:40 am
Will be interesting to see what kind of crowd show's up this Friday night for a lower division opponent

Main thing is to maintain our health as we gear up for Alabama
 #20345  by furpop16
 Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:40 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
apaladin wrote:
All these lower tier teams have stop including FU on their schedule the past few years, must be a thing to just wash off a blowout loss like it never happened
Unless you're Mars Hill; remember that? Underscores the importance of not overlooking the game in front of you and keeping focused - even against lesser-ranked opponents. Just ask Kentucky.
 #20349  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:09 pm
furpop16 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:40 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Unless you're Mars Hill; remember that? Underscores the importance of not overlooking the game in front of you and keeping focused - even against lesser-ranked opponents. Just ask Kentucky.

I don't recall any of these teams being at all competitive with us in recent years however.
And Evansville (as do all DI teams) at least lists the game on their schedule to count towards their record, its a joke that some of these lower division teams now don't even list it or mark it as an exhibition game, they deserve a beat down and zero respect just for that quite honestly.
 #20353  by furpop16
 Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:05 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:09 pm
I don't recall any of these teams being at all competitive with us in recent years however.
And Evansville (as do all DI teams) at least lists the game on their schedule to count towards their record, its a joke that some of these lower division teams now don't even list it or mark it as an exhibition game, they deserve a beat down and zero respect just for that quite honestly.
I see your point. I wouldn't expect Mars Hill to ever omit us from their schedule, however (proving your argument).

The season following the Mars Hill debacle still found the Paladins with a losing record, though it arguably launched the turnaround with FU's run through the SoCon tournament right up to the last possession in the finals.

I'd expect Mars Hill and (Asst. Coach at the time) BR won't soon forget that.
 #20354  by youwouldno
 Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:51 pm
Evansville is a D-I team from a strong mid-major conference, of course they listed the Kentucky game. The Furman-Southern Wesleyan game is an exhibition. It's not counted as a win by the NCAA for post-season purposes, and so why should SW count it as a loss?

I've heard Coach Richey's explanations on the podcasts about why these get scheduled . . . I understand what he said and don't have a solution other than money, which is in short supply as it is. But be that as it may, hopefully fans will support the exhibition and hopefully the team gains valuable practice experience.
 #20355  by apaladin
 Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:03 pm
Evansville is in the Missouri Valley same as Loyola-Chicago. They have a strong basketball history. The Missouri Valley is now 4-3 when facing #1 teams which is crazy. They were picked to finish 8th in their league. Pay no attention to preseason polls.
 #20356  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:34 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Evansville is a D-I team from a strong mid-major conference, of course they listed the Kentucky game. The Furman-Southern Wesleyan game is an exhibition. It's not counted as a win by the NCAA for post-season purposes, and so why should SW count it as a loss?

I've heard Coach Richey's explanations on the podcasts about why these get scheduled . . . I understand what he said and don't have a solution other than money, which is in short supply as it is. But be that as it may, hopefully fans will support the exhibition and hopefully the team gains valuable practice experience.
Not sure why you bothered being redundant on the Evansville subject, I really don't care if SW lists it or not but the fact that they want to side step the game like it never happened means I give them zero respect
In your mind it may be an exhibition but in reality it is a real game that counts on our official record books
 #20367  by youwouldno
 Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:40 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
youwouldno wrote:

Not sure why you bothered being redundant on the Evansville subject, I really don't care if SW lists it or not but the fact that they want to side step the game like it never happened means I give them zero respect
In your mind it may be an exhibition but in reality it is a real game that counts on our official record books

Well your comment made no sense because Evansville and Kentucky are both D-I, it was obviously a real game. The fact it was expected to be lopsided was irrelevant.

Non D-I teams do not count in the eyes of post-season committees which means they are de facto exhibitions. The fact they occasionally beat sorry D-I teams is irrelevant (albeit embarrassing for that D-I team).
 #20368  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:06 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:40 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
youwouldno wrote:

Well your comment made no sense because Evansville and Kentucky are both D-I, it was obviously a real game. The fact it was expected to be lopsided was irrelevant.

Non D-I teams do not count in the eyes of post-season committees which means they are de facto exhibitions. The fact they occasionally beat sorry D-I teams is irrelevant (albeit embarrassing for that D-I team).

My comment made perfect sense in relation to furpop16's comment about asking Kentucky, and the amount of respect they should have given Evansville in relation to the amount of respect we should give SW. I as a fan find it impossible to give any team respect that wimps out of adding the actual game onto their schedule so as to avoid the more than likely loss on their record.

It is a real game 100%, the records that could be set in this game are real, wins/loses/achievements ect., just ask Jordan Lyons about the all time 3 point mark he set against North Greenville last year, that certainly counted in the books. Had it actually been an exhibition it would not have counted.

Anyways there is really nothing to debate here, I am sure we all agree a DI opponent would be more fun to watch us play, but it is what it is for now

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Scouting Samford

by gofurman

Sun Sep 22, 2024 1:39 am

Default Avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by gofurman

Sun Sep 22, 2024 1:29 am

User avatar THE NEW SEASON

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:57 pm

User avatar Bothwell

by FU Hoopla

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:46 pm

User avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:31 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.