• #7 Furman @ #20 Wofford (Nov. 16)(SoCon Championship Game)

#20271  by gofurman
 Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:55 am
gman wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:24 am
Bootie wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:01 am
AstroDin wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:18 am
I took FuBear's comments as a lead to watch the Conklin interview - maybe it's due to my strong dislike of the T-Dogs but Conklin's comments about Hamp and Darren hit me as very odd. I also find him arrogant and cocky or maybe it's just a style thing.

I will admit I'm fond of a coach that is honest yet positive, CCH comes across as a coach that has a healthy perspective of his own team and his opponent. I chalk that up to experience.
Fascinating to see the perspectives from different people. I don't know what interview y'all watched (actually I do, but it apparently was viewed through a different lens than mine). Here's a rough transcript of Woffy coach Conklin's comments when asked about Sisson and Grainger:

Both have strengths and weaknesses, both are good football players, we actually recruited Sisson. We understand their strengths, their weaknesses, what they do well and don’t do well, hopefully we can try to find ways to take advantage of that. But from a systems standpoint they do a great job of putting their guys in position to make plays.

Sounds like standard coach-speak to me. Conklin literally said they have "strengths and weaknesses" yet FuBear concluded only that the message was that the player is "weak". I don't get that.
I agree Bootie. I don’t see anything wrong with his comments. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses.
“. Both have strengths and weaknesses, both are good football players, we actually recruited Sisson. We understand their strengths, their weaknesses, what they do well and don’t do well, hopefully we can try to find ways to take advantage of that. But from a systems standpoint they do a great job of putting their guys in position to make plays.

Not sure how this could offend anyone. QUOTE “they are good football players”. QUOTE “they do a good job of putting their guys in position to make plays “
EVERYONE has strengths and weakness. Everyone. Not sure why anyone gets riled up
Over this - Admittedly I haven’t watched the interview so maybe it’s his tone? Based purely On the transcript it’s average stuff and coach speak
 #20278  by FUPlayer74
 Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:49 pm
gofurman wrote:
gman wrote:
Bootie wrote:
AstroDin wrote:
I took FuBear's comments as a lead to watch the Conklin interview - maybe it's due to my strong dislike of the T-Dogs but Conklin's comments about Hamp and Darren hit me as very odd. I also find him arrogant and cocky or maybe it's just a style thing.

I will admit I'm fond of a coach that is honest yet positive, CCH comes across as a coach that has a healthy perspective of his own team and his opponent. I chalk that up to experience.
Fascinating to see the perspectives from different people. I don't know what interview y'all watched (actually I do, but it apparently was viewed through a different lens than mine). Here's a rough transcript of Woffy coach Conklin's comments when asked about Sisson and Grainger:

Both have strengths and weaknesses, both are good football players, we actually recruited Sisson. We understand their strengths, their weaknesses, what they do well and don’t do well, hopefully we can try to find ways to take advantage of that. But from a systems standpoint they do a great job of putting their guys in position to make plays.

Sounds like standard coach-speak to me. Conklin literally said they have "strengths and weaknesses" yet FuBear concluded only that the message was that the player is "weak". I don't get that.
I agree Bootie. I don’t see anything wrong with his comments. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses.
“. Both have strengths and weaknesses, both are good football players, we actually recruited Sisson. We understand their strengths, their weaknesses, what they do well and don’t do well, hopefully we can try to find ways to take advantage of that. But from a systems standpoint they do a great job of putting their guys in position to make plays.

Not sure how this could offend anyone. QUOTE “they are good football players”. QUOTE “they do a good job of putting their guys in position to make plays “
EVERYONE has strengths and weakness. Everyone. Not sure why anyone gets riled up
Over this - Admittedly I haven’t watched the interview so maybe it’s his tone? Based purely On the transcript it’s average stuff and coach speak
Nothing offensive there to me, but true coach speak doesn't mention publicly anything in reference to an opponent's weaknesses.
fufanatic liked this
 #20283  by FUBeAR
 Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:08 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:24 pm
Question for FuBear-Was Mercer at full strength last Saturday? Especially on offense. I know their #1 QB is out for the season.
LOL - Was Custer’s Army at full strength after the The Battle of the Little Bighorn?

Not even close...not even a shell of the Team that played FU in Sept.
 #20286  by Davemeister
 Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:37 pm
tim wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:16 pm
I'm glad Conklin sees Sisson's weaknesses because I can't find them. I'm sure he has them but maybe not on game film?
One may assume Sisson's main"weakness" is that he chose not to attend Wofford.
MidlandsPaladin, PalaDad, Jasper and 3 others liked this
 #20291  by The Jackal
 Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:32 pm
Game note: https://furmanpaladins.com/documents/20 ... maries.pdf

I hadn't realized this, but Furman has twice put up offensive efforts this year that now rank among the top 5 games all time for total yards in program history (Samford and VMI).

The only team that appears on that list twice is the Ingle Martin/Jerome Felton 2005 squad.
dornb, FUKA61, AstroDin liked this
 #20293  by cavedweller2
 Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:45 pm
Let's go for 700 Saturday to go along with Vince Perone's 102 yard kick off return and Andy Goss's FG hitting the cross bar at old Snyder field.
AstroDin, QCGlue liked this
 #20327  by tya1
 Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:54 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:45 pm
Let's go for 700 Saturday to go along with Vince Perone's 102 yard kick off return and Andy Goss's FG hitting the cross bar at old Snyder field.
Well, 700 points may be a bit overly optimistic.

We should give it the old Paladin try, though.
 #20333  by The Jackal
 Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:28 am
Went back and watched some of the Citadel game again. I imagine Wofford will be looking at that film pretty closely.

We just didn't play well. Period. Didn't get off blocks, didn't get blocks, didn't complete passes, overran plays. Just not a banner day.

I do think there's a small advantage Saturday in that Furman has already played the Citadel - a run heavy offense that will cut your defenders all over the field. Wofford will try to do the same.
 #20335  by AstroDin
 Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:45 am
FUPlayer74 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:49 pm
gofurman wrote:
gman wrote:
Bootie wrote:
AstroDin wrote:

Nothing offensive there to me, but true coach speak doesn't mention publicly anything in reference to an opponent's weaknesses.
that was my point - I've rarely heard a HC phrase it that way - I took it as a somewhat back-handed compliment and didn't really need to be said. Compare Conklin to CCH… IMO far different.
FUBeAR liked this
 #20337  by Davemeister
 Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:14 am
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:28 am
Went back and watched some of the Citadel game again. I imagine Wofford will be looking at that film pretty closely.

We just didn't play well. Period. Didn't get off blocks, didn't get blocks, didn't complete passes, overran plays. Just not a banner day.

I do think there's a small advantage Saturday in that Furman has already played the Citadel - a run heavy offense that will cut your defenders all over the field. Wofford will try to do the same.

I believe the key to this game for Furman is TACKLING. We cannot hang back and watch the QB run wild like the Citadel game. We did not do a very good job of wrapping up Ford or Ramsey and this must stop come Saturday.

I want to see us hit the ball carriers so hard and so often that none of them want to tote the Rock!
FUKA61, Paladin575 liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.