• #7 Furman @ #20 Wofford (Nov. 16)(SoCon Championship Game)

#20247  by FUBeAR
 Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:10 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:49 pm

Wow...woooffie’s HC calls out FU’s QB’s, Sisson (by name) and Grainger, as being weak & cites both of them as having specific things that they don’t do well, in the 1st 2 minutes of this video from their media day luncheon. I wonder what kind of ish he’s saying off camera!

#LeaveNoDoubt
 #20248  by apaladin
 Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:28 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:19 pm
A few thoughts on this one.

When looking at Wofford, I think it is worth noting that Furman is the best FCS team Wofford has seen this year. They have not played the Citadel either.

The Terrier defense has been susceptible to big backs. VMI's Alex Ramsey ran for 200+ against them. UTC's Ford went for 140. Tyray Devezin went for 106 last week. Furman should be able to church up some yards on the ground. They'll give up some size up front.

We really gave them a lot of problems last year passing to running backs. Again, if we can run the ball effectively and then start with play action, we'll put a lot of pressure on them. It will be interesting to see if they take the approach VMI/the Citadel did and try to load up the box.

Offensively, they look a bit like we do. Their backs are smaller and shiftier. They don't have the dominant fullback type. They still work in a lot of option elements, but spend most of the time out of the shotgun.

Key for Furman on defense is making tackles. Their backs are very elusive, and we are going to have to get those guys on the ground. Like most run-first type teams, you want to get them behind the sticks and in predictable passing situations.

Bottom line, both of these teams have seen this game coming for a while. They prepare for one another in the preseason. This one will come down to execution and want to
In all fairness this is the best FCS team either has faced this season.
 #20249  by apaladin
 Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:32 am
TICKET UPDATE:

VISITORS SIDE: #SEATS: 2,340 #SOLD 481 AVAILABLE: 1,859
HOME SIDE: #SEATS: 5,900 #SOLD: 4,280 AVAILABLE: 1,620
TOTAL: #SEATS 8,240 #SOLD 4,761 AVAILABLE: 3,479

FYI: THE ABOVE INCLUDES 950 TOTAL SEATS and 950 SOLD FOR THEIR STUDENT SECTION
 #20252  by gman
 Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:06 am
apaladin wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:32 am
TICKET UPDATE:

VISITORS SIDE: #SEATS: 2,340 #SOLD 481 AVAILABLE: 1,859
HOME SIDE: #SEATS: 5,900 #SOLD: 4,280 AVAILABLE: 1,620
TOTAL: #SEATS 8,240 #SOLD 4,761 AVAILABLE: 3,479

FYI: THE ABOVE INCLUDES 950 TOTAL SEATS and 950 SOLD FOR THEIR STUDENT SECTION
Don’t forget the 4,500 “seats” available in the end zones.
 #20255  by AstroDin
 Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:18 am
I took FuBear's comments as a lead to watch the Conklin interview - maybe it's due to my strong dislike of the T-Dogs but Conklin's comments about Hamp and Darren hit me as very odd. I also find him arrogant and cocky or maybe it's just a style thing.

I will admit I'm fond of a coach that is honest yet positive, CCH comes across as a coach that has a healthy perspective of his own team and his opponent. I chalk that up to experience.
DeepPurple, FUBeAR liked this
 #20256  by Bootie
 Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:01 am
AstroDin wrote:
I took FuBear's comments as a lead to watch the Conklin interview - maybe it's due to my strong dislike of the T-Dogs but Conklin's comments about Hamp and Darren hit me as very odd. I also find him arrogant and cocky or maybe it's just a style thing.

I will admit I'm fond of a coach that is honest yet positive, CCH comes across as a coach that has a healthy perspective of his own team and his opponent. I chalk that up to experience.
Fascinating to see the perspectives from different people. I don't know what interview y'all watched (actually I do, but it apparently was viewed through a different lens than mine). Here's a rough transcript of Woffy coach Conklin's comments when asked about Sisson and Grainger:

Both have strengths and weaknesses, both are good football players, we actually recruited Sisson. We understand their strengths, their weaknesses, what they do well and don’t do well, hopefully we can try to find ways to take advantage of that. But from a systems standpoint they do a great job of putting their guys in position to make plays.

Sounds like standard coach-speak to me. Conklin literally said they have "strengths and weaknesses" yet FuBear concluded only that the message was that the player is "weak". I don't get that.
Jasper, FUpaladin08, DeepPurple and 1 others liked this
 #20258  by gman
 Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:24 am
Bootie wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:01 am
AstroDin wrote:

Fascinating to see the perspectives from different people. I don't know what interview y'all watched (actually I do, but it apparently was viewed through a different lens than mine). Here's a rough transcript of Woffy coach Conklin's comments when asked about Sisson and Grainger:

Both have strengths and weaknesses, both are good football players, we actually recruited Sisson. We understand their strengths, their weaknesses, what they do well and don’t do well, hopefully we can try to find ways to take advantage of that. But from a systems standpoint they do a great job of putting their guys in position to make plays.

Sounds like standard coach-speak to me. Conklin literally said they have "strengths and weaknesses" yet FuBear concluded only that the message was that the player is "weak". I don't get that.
I agree Bootie. I don’t see anything wrong with his comments. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses.
gofurman liked this
 #20260  by FUBeAR
 Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:44 am
Obviously, Bootie & gman are no fans of the work of Coach Twain; Mark, not Shania.
Jasper liked this
 #20262  by FUBeAR
 Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:51 am
Bootie wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:48 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:44 am
Obviously, Bootie & gman are no fans of the work of Coach Twain; Mark, not Shania.
If Twain is also one-sided and unfair to Truth, then no, I'm not :D
Truth is way overrated
 #20268  by Mr. Taggart
 Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:57 am
AstroDin wrote:

We are not close personal friends, but Conklin's son played little league baseball with mine this year. That is how he talks. I didn't find it particularly problematic. That said, I took pride in sending my son to every single practice in purple and white, and I feel good rolling into Saturday.
FUKA61, AstroDin, MNORM liked this
 #20269  by gofurman
 Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:36 am
Paul C wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:38 pm
Against the 6 common opponents we've both faced (UTC, VMI, Mer, Sam, WCU, ETSU)....interesting the 3 we played at home, Woff played away, and vice versa....

Furman outscored the by a combined 243 to 82 (40.5 to 13.6)
Wofford outscored them by a combined 235 to 122 (39.1 to 20.3)

Furman vs UTC W 35-20
Wofford vs UTC W 35-34 (OT)

Furman vs VMI W 60-21
Wofford vs VM W 51-36

Furman vs Mercer W 45-10
Wofford vs Mercer W 41-7

Furman vs Samford W 45-10
Wofford vs Samford L 14-21

Furman vs WCU W 28-7
Wofford vs WCU W 59-7

Furman vs ETSU W 17-10
Wofford vs ETSU W 35-17

Of course, lots of ifs, ands and but, but that's the data....sure the Samford loss for Woffy was before they went back to doing what they did best, and some of our lackluster performances were before our QB change....so both teams would have reason to discount a game or two above. But again, those are the FACTS (as gf would say)
X
PaulC. Love it - good data. And I agree I struggled w score comparison. Tyrie was out vs Woff. We changed QBs. They switched back to running more... hard to decipher

Recent Topics

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.