• #7 Furman @ #20 Wofford (Nov. 16)(SoCon Championship Game)

#20200  by The Jackal
 Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:24 pm
Paul C wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:24 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:07 pm
Does the fact that FU is already in the playoffs have any effect on this game? If WC loses one of the next 2 they may not get a bid, lose both and they are out.
IMO absolutely positively NOT. This is the biggest reg season game this program has played in years. Outright SoCon championship at stake. It's grasping at straws to try to spin this the way you are trying to....
I don't know about biggest regular season game. This is the third straight year Furman has played their final conference game with a SoCon title on the line (all three on the road, interestingly).

Granted, in the past two years, we weren't ranked in the top 10 with a seed on the line either.
 #20203  by purplehorse
 Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:41 pm
I have always considered the Wofford game a “home” game for us. In 2017 the crowd at Elon was impressive as was the case the following week at Wofford. The FU crowd on the road represents vocal fans. I think we will be well represented. I think our crowd noise is better on the road vs at home.

In 2017 Wofford had a bye week and then a home playoff game so they were the better team on paper although most Furman fans felt-they beat us by one early in season, we have improved tremendously, we will win. But this year we are actually the better team on paper (higher ranking). I expect to win.
 #20217  by gofurman
 Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:08 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:41 pm
I 1) have always considered the Wofford game a “home” game for us. In 2017 the crowd at Elon was impressive as was the case the following week at Wofford. The FU crowd on the road represents vocal fans. I think we will be well represented. I think our crowd noise is better on the road vs at home.

2) In 2017 Wofford had a bye week and then a home playoff game so they were the better team on paper although most Furman fans felt-they beat us by one early in season, we have improved tremendously, we will win. But this year we are actually the better team on paper (higher ranking). I expect to win.
1) If this is a home game we haven’t won there since 2006 ! That’s not exactly a home game to me though I get your point for sure. It's just that Furman wins home games at PS. We have won at Elon much more recent than Woff even though we play at Elon much more rarely

2) I too recall hearing what you post as point number 2.. we felt we were close in game 1 with them and we were. One play away.. but three things were against us. away game, bye week AND this was the killer - they got the other DL back that didn't play in game one (Miles Brown maybe?) - it was a super stud we didn't face. And you could tell. As Hawg said post game "man, we couldn't run inside.. we couldn't run outside, we were pretty much shut down" - the return of the top 3 DL in conference really hampered us. 2017 we were still missing a few pieces and the best DL were the ones that got us - Samford and WOfford.

That said, we can bring people and fill our stands in Spartanburg ! Let’s all bring as many as possible !

Anyhow - this year \ Furman -1 in Vegas . so Vegas thinks we are one point better. ONE. on road. This game is REALLY gonna be tough. Granted we are better now than 2017 and they are missing the two key DL - that really helps. . Inside runs work and everything else opens up

Still the two most physical teams we have played are Citadel and ETSU. that’s our closest win and our only FCS loss. I put Woff in that similar category of physical. And similar team. This isn’t the Woff team that lost early in year w passing vs SC State
 #20232  by gofurman
 Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:07 pm
FUPlayer74 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:33 pm
Ok , GF you've made your case for a nice "I told you so" if Furman loses.
Let's hear your case for if Furman wins,
74, please don't go down this path. PLEASE - I like you but I think you are being too sensitive on this one thing .

ITS NOT AN I TOLD YOU SO. You are honestly misreading me..... we HAVE to work on reading comprehension here. Lets all slow down.

Where did I say Woff was gonna win? Where? Point 2 above was just some of them there FACTS ( Ben Shapiro is great with the statement "Facts don't care about feelings! " ) that many here didn't want to hear in 2017. Man, facts sure get in the way of a good argument don't they ? LOL.

Please read the post I quoted of purplehorse saying basically THE SAME THING as me he says " In 2017 Wofford had a bye week and then a home playoff game so they were the better team on paper although most Furman fans felt they beat us by one early in season, we have improved tremendously, we will win." He basically says that Furman fans were a little TOO optimistic in 2017 thinking we were better but you didn't quote him ? why just me? maybe I am special? :D

I don't say Woff was gonna win. I even took the time to say Vegas lists us as a one point favorite.

You have to understand the only two games I didn't worry about were Citadel and ETSU - and those were our FCS Loss and closest win.

As someone posted to me - "you do you gofurman... I want gofurman to worry a lot, we win when he worries". :D

If you want my real analysis it's a coin flip. In September it was all Furman vs the revamped WOfford O and that was the time to play them (lost to Samford etc). But I look at last 5 games or so. Why? Teams change. Like our 2017 team changed and improved. This is not the Woff that lost to SC State. Woff smashed ETSU (on road too) much better than we did 35-17. We then did better better with Chatt (and we were on road). They did far better with western but Tyrie was out. etc etc It goes back and forth. The home field thing is the most distinct thing I can find. No other opponent seems to be so biased towards home field advantage. Which is odd considering this is one of the shortest drives for the teams and most pro-Furman crowds on the road. both teams are VERY succesful against the other at home which is interesting with points I just listed. maybe someone can help me understand that. No hotel.. short drive... lots of Furman fans make the trip - I would think this would be one of our better away places to play but I guess part of it is we had not-so-good teams for a while and Woff was good at the time.

OK - you asked for the analysis:
For Furman to win we need to complete 50% of the passes minimum and run for 250 yards+. Hopefully we complete 60% of our passes. We do that we are in it to win it. Obvious caveats as always. Turnovers etc. Key plays on O for us could be passes to RBs etc out of backfield - Woff was not ready for that last year.. AT ALL !!! we kept isolating LBs on RBs etc and throwing nice passes and that was a big difference. I will say for Furman to win we need to probably hit our defensive "back 7" checks a little faster than we did vs CItadel. The LBs and safeties need to come up Strong and Downhill ! Hesitation would kill us vs Woff when they are on O if we don't make our reads quickly.

I fully admit I still have to watch some of their games. was away this weekend and have not done that yet !

OK, I answered. FUPlayer74, FUBeAR, Jackal - how do you see this playing out?
Last edited by gofurman on Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #20234  by Thorny
 Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:16 pm
This game is not a gimmie. Sagarin rates Furman's odds of winning at 51%.

I think Furman will win but Wofford is very good and has their act together. They will want this championship just as bad.

I expect an uncharacteristically high scoring affair.
gofurman liked this
 #20236  by gofurman
 Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:33 pm
Thorny wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:16 pm
This game is not a gimmie. Sagarin rates Furman's odds of winning at 51%.

I think Furman will win but Wofford is very good and has their act together. They will want this championship just as bad.

I expect an uncharacteristically high scoring affair.
Thorny, thanks.
Not sure about scoring - I am not that smart.. but yeah, 51 - 60% is what I see most places.
 #20238  by FUPlayer74
 Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:51 pm
gofurman wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:07 pm
FUPlayer74 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:33 pm
Ok , GF you've made your case for a nice "I told you so" if Furman loses.
Let's hear your case for if Furman wins,
74, please don't go down this path. PLEASE - I like you but I think you are being too sensitive on this one thing .

ITS NOT AN I TOLD YOU SO. You are honestly misreading me..... we HAVE to work on reading comprehension here. Lets all slow down.

Where did I say Woff was gonna win? Where? Point 2 above was just some of them there FACTS ( Ben Shapiro is great with the statement "Facts don't care about feelings! " ) that many here didn't want to hear in 2017. Man, facts sure get in the way of a good argument don't they ? LOL.

Please read the post I quoted of purplehorse saying basically THE SAME THING as me he says " In 2017 Wofford had a bye week and then a home playoff game so they were the better team on paper although most Furman fans felt they beat us by one early in season, we have improved tremendously, we will win." He basically says that Furman fans were a little TOO optimistic in 2017 thinking we were better but you didn't quote him ? why just me? maybe I am special? :D

I don't say Woff was gonna win. I even took the time to say Vegas lists us as a one point favorite.

You have to understand the only two games I didn't worry about were Citadel and ETSU - and those were our FCS Loss and closest win.

As someone posted to me - "you do you gofurman... I want gofurman to worry a lot, we win when he worries". :D

If you want my real analysis it's a coin flip. In September it was all Furman vs the revamped WOfford O and that was the time to play them (lost to Samford etc). But I look at last 5 games or so. Why? Teams change. Like our 2017 team changed and improved. This is not the Woff that lost to SC State. Woff smashed ETSU (on road too) much better than we did 35-17. We then did better better with Chatt (and we were on road). They did far better with western but Tyrie was out. etc etc It goes back and forth. The home field thing is the most distinct thing I can find. No other opponent seems to be so biased towards home field advantage. Which is odd considering this is one of the shortest drives for the teams and most pro-Furman crowds on the road. both teams are VERY succesful against the other at home which is interesting with points I just listed. maybe someone can help me understand that. No hotel.. short drive... lots of Furman fans make the trip - I would think this would be one of our better away places to play but I guess part of it is we had not-so-good teams for a while and Woff was good at the time.

OK - you asked for the analysis:
For Furman to win we need to complete 50% of the passes minimum and run for 250 yards+. Hopefully we complete 60% of our passes. We do that we are in it to win it. Obvious caveats as always. Turnovers etc. Key plays on O for us could be passes to RBs etc out of backfield - Woff was not ready for that last year.. AT ALL !!! we kept isolating LBs on RBs etc and throwing nice passes and that was a big difference. I will say for Furman to win we need to probably hit our defensive "back 7" checks a little faster than we did vs CItadel. The LBs and safeties need to come up Strong and Downhill ! Hesitation would kill us vs Woff when they are on O if we don't make our reads quickly.

I fully admit I still have to watch some of their games. was away this weekend and have not done that yet !

OK, I answered. FUPlayer74, FUBeAR, Jackal - how do you see this playing out?
Thanks !
 #20243  by FUBeAR
 Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:34 am
AstroDin wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:41 pm
Watched the replay of the FU/VMI game - amazing what a passing game will do when a team loads the box. Jackal was correct VMI played a lot of 5-3 sometimes had six and seven up on the line.

After watching the replay - may be the thing that impresses me the most is the patience shown by the offense. Since CCH's arrival - we've gotten spoiled by lots of explosive plays.

Yesterday, we stayed patient, and worked our way down the field but taking what the defense was giving the Dins.

Wofford will have to make some decisions - much like what VMI did. Do you shut down the inside run (Wynn, Abrams, Watkins, Roberto) and force Sission to hit passes? With the power running game - I just don't see Wofford keeping the Furman ground game in check for four quarters.

Sisson proved he is accurate and makes excellent decisions and he's a very good passer when he scrambles. Excited to see how our energized offense plays.
If woofy wants to load the box with 8 or more, AND the HORRIBLE SoCon Officials don’t allow their DB’s to hold & interfere every play (as they normally are allowed to do - I think they have a “No DPI Waiver” as a benefit of being located in the same city as the SoCon League Office), they will get TORCHED!
 #20244  by FUBeAR
 Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:40 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:19 pm
The Terrier defense has been susceptible to big backs. VMI's Alex Ramsey ran for 200+ against them. UTC's Ford went for 140. Tyray Devezin went for 106 last week. Furman should be able to church up some yards on the ground. They'll give up some size up front.
Devezin’s 106 came behind a makeshift O-Line with 3 starters out & a 4th (who is a True FR) playing hobbled....in a game where Mercer was playing from behind from the jump.
 #20245  by FUBeAR
 Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:48 am
Paul C wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:38 pm
Against the 6 common opponents we've both faced (UTC, VMI, Mer, Sam, WCU, ETSU)....interesting the 3 we played at home, Woff played away, and vice versa....

Furman outscored the by a combined 243 to 82 (40.5 to 13.6)
Wofford outscored them by a combined 235 to 122 (39.1 to 20.3)

Furman vs UTC W 35-20
Wofford vs UTC W 35-34 (OT)

Furman vs VMI W 60-21
Wofford vs VM W 51-36

Furman vs Mercer W 45-10
Wofford vs Mercer W 41-7

Furman vs Samford W 45-10
Wofford vs Samford L 14-21

Furman vs WCU W 28-7
Wofford vs WCU W 59-7

Furman vs ETSU W 17-10
Wofford vs ETSU W 35-17

Of course, lots of ifs, ands and but, but that's the data....sure the Samford loss for Woffy was before they went back to doing what they did best, and some of our lackluster performances were before our QB change....so both teams would have reason to discount a game or two above. But again, those are the FACTS (as gf would say)
Nope - they were 3 for 7 passing against SAMMY for 6 yards...and that was playing from behind for most of the 2nd half. TrueTerrier Football!

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.