• SoCon Player of the Year Contenders

#20174  by fufanatic
 Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:31 pm
Still have two weeks of SoCon games remaining for some teams, but this year's race is going to fascinating on offense. Here are the contenders ... let me know if I missed anyone. SoCon only stats below.

- Devin Wynn - 702 yards, 7.0 avg. per rush, 11 TDs, 100.3 avg. per game

- Ailym Ford - 835 yards, 5.7 avg. per rush, 7 TDs, 139.2 avg. per game

- Alex Ramsey - 924 yards, 5.0 avg. per rush, 19 TDs, 132.0 avg. per game

- Brandon Rainey - 478 yards rushing, 11 TDs, 79.7 avg. per game / 38-63 passing, 60.3%, 719 yards, 7 TDs, 119.8 avg. per game

- I guess you could also make a case for Reece Udinski or Joe Newman, but I've been way more impressed with the others above. Might just come down to who wins the SoCon.
 #20185  by Flagman
 Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:11 pm
Which player contributed most to his team's success?
 #20187  by fufanatic
 Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:18 pm
Flagman wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:11 pm
Which player contributed most to his team's success?
Maybe I'm biased because he's the only guy that didn't look human against our D at some point in the game, but I can't imagine Citadel would be in the hunt if it weren't for Rainey. If they win a piece of the title, it would be hard not to give it to him in my opinion.

However, I believe Wynn is the best, most-talented player in the conference and could easily average 150 a game if we didn't have so many darn weapons on offense, which is a great problem to have.

PS: Agreed with Astro on GA.
 #20202  by gofurman
 Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:31 pm
Ford at UTC really impressed me. He is so hard to bring down. Maybe there are others but he has to be in real contention for Freshman of year.

Also I agree that I don’t like how most lists focus on QBs and RBs and maybe a WR. What about Atkins and others at other schools as was said above.

Example maybe Dakota Dozier OL should have been the winner ? He changed our team - OL are skill guys too! And they change the game !
Last edited by gofurman on Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #20204  by fufanatic
 Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:45 pm
Jacobs Blocking Award gives the big guys up front some recognition. It is stunning to me that the SoCon doesn't have a Special Teams Player of the Year award. Would have to think Ford would be a near unanimous selection for Freshman of the Year. BTW: I think Grainger would have been a strong contender for both player and freshman of the year if he had kept up his early-season pace.
 #20211  by paladinfan12
 Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:09 pm
The 4 contenders above are the favorites, but I'd second what gofurman said about Ford from UTC. That dude is a tank and I am glad Furman got out of their with a W. He might be the most talented guy in the SoCon.
 #20216  by gofurman
 Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:48 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:45 pm
Jacobs Blocking Award gives the big guys up front some recognition. It is stunning to me that the SoCon doesn't have a Special Teams Player of the Year award. Would have to think Ford would be a near unanimous selection for Freshman of the Year. BTW: I think Grainger would have been a strong contender for both player and freshman of the year if he had kept up his early-season pace.
Agree on Jacobs Blocking. But if the OL guy. (Dozier) is the best player in O in conference not sure why you can’t get that too - in addition to Jacobs award.

Agree that IF ( I didn’t know) the SoCon doesn’t give a special teams player of year that is a bigger issue and needs to be remedied. Special teams count !!!
 #20227  by gofurman
 Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:23 pm
FUPlayer74 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:08 pm
The Newman kid at Wofford with close to 1000 yds rushing AND passing will be hard to beat.
Agree he was underrated in our post above. Voters love numbers. If Woff beats us Saturday he may just get it but IF we win...
 #20235  by fufanatic
 Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:22 pm
FUPlayer74 wrote:
The Newman kid at Wofford with close to 1000 yds rushing AND passing will be hard to beat.
Almost positive voting only takes into account conference only stats, so he has 644 passing and 565 rushing entering Furman game. 15 total TDs. Certainly not bad, but I wouldn’t put him as favorite unless they win out and claim SoCon title.
 #20237  by gofurman
 Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:45 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:22 pm
FUPlayer74 wrote:
Almost positive voting only takes into account conference only stats, so he has 644 passing and 565 rushing entering Furman game. 15 total TDs. Certainly not bad, but I wouldn’t put him as favorite unless they win out and claim SoCon title.
fufanatic,
That is a good point - can someone answer that? Do SoCon awards only take into account conference only stats or your whole year?
 #20259  by The Jackal
 Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:35 am
I think it will be difficult for a Furman offensive player in this system to win end of the year awards. We distribute the ball to too many players and no single guy is going to put up massive numbers.

That sort of makes Wynn's season more impressive to me, frankly. He's in the conversation with a fraction of the touches.
gman84 liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.