• Street and Smiths

#1984  by FUBeAR
 Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:13 am
Paul C wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:17 pm
Thank you for exposing gofurman’s unhealthy Wofford man-love.
LOL...I didn’t even get into the fact that they lost 4 Sr. Starters off of their OL from last year & their new OL Coach has never Coached a down of College OLine. Last year’s OL Coach had 15 years of SoCon OL Coaching experience. They do return 1 Full-time Starter on the OL from last year (Right OT) and a couple of guys who got a few starts due to injuries - 5 at Center & 3 at Right OG. So, 1.6 Starters returning on the OL...technically.

Did I mention that they also lost their top WR & their starting TE or that their 2 new DB Coaches have a combined total of 1 year of ‘real’ College position Coaching experience between them? They do have at least 2 years of Coordinating experience on their combined resumes though...Video Coordinating. :) On the other hand, they did just do something right. They hired a former Furman Player to Coach their OLB’s replacing the Coach from last year, who was expected to return, but, instead, bolted for a much better job as a HS Coach in SC.

There is no question in my mind, if Wofford wins the SoCon in 2018, their new HC is SoCon Coach of the Year & should be a strong contender for similar National honors.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
AstroDin liked this
 #1985  by AstroDin
 Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:13 am
* sorry, FuBear I was typing as you posted…

concerning Wofford… I've wondered for years what will happen when Ayers leaves? We've been through it at Furman; Sheridan, Satterfield, Johnson, Lamb, Fowler and now Hendrix.

Wofford lost a very experienced OL coach Eric Nash now the AD at St Joe's. Not sure lost is the right word - Eric moved on after the coaching search landed Conklin. When St Joe's football coach resigned - I was curious would we see another Wofford coach leave the program? Yep! Word was that Jon Wheeler current Wofford OLB coach and ex-player was Nash's top choice for the next head coach. When my wife told me that Wheeler was the choice for their next football coach, I said no way. Well, he's the next head coach of St Joe's.

I have no dog in the hunt, but if I'm a Terrier, you've quickly lost IMO the essence of the Ayers brand that built the Wofford program. I know that Lang is still there as OC. But something smells wrong, I would be worried.
 #1986  by The Jackal
 Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:07 am
Bottom line, it is the summer and Wofford is losing coaches to high school programs. That is not a good look. Their coaching staff is comparatively very young and inexperienced. I believe only one defensive coach has actually been a full time D1 position coach prior to this year, and that was a single season for a woefully bad VMI team.

I am not in the room, but from an outsider's view, I cannot help but think Wofford botched this coaching transition. This is probably not always true, but most often when a program has a long-term "stay as long as you want" type of coach (Bowden, Paterno, Brown, Alvarez, etc.), the heir apparent is already in the program. That Mike Ayers quickly announced his retirement and Wofford had to conduct a full coaching search to find his replacement is just beyond my comprehension level.

I do not know this for a fact, but I expect this will only play to Furman's advantage on the recruiting trail.
 #1987  by The Jackal
 Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:11 am
AstroDin wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:13 am
* sorry, FuBear I was typing as you posted…

concerning Wofford… I've wondered for years what will happen when Ayers leaves? We've been through it at Furman; Sheridan, Satterfield, Johnson, Lamb, Fowler and now Hendrix.

Wofford lost a very experienced OL coach Eric Nash now the AD at St Joe's. Not sure lost is the right word - Eric moved on after the coaching search landed Conklin. When St Joe's football coach resigned - I was curious would we see another Wofford coach leave the program? Yep! Word was that Jon Wheeler current Wofford OLB coach and ex-player was Nash's top choice for the next head coach. When my wife told me that Wheeler was the choice for their next football coach, I said no way. Well, he's the next head coach of St Joe's.

I have no dog in the hunt, but if I'm a Terrier, you've quickly lost IMO the essence of the Ayers brand that built the Wofford program. I know that Lang is still there as OC. But something smells wrong, I would be worried.
If I were Wofford fan, I would have gotten concerned after Conklin was hired. Not that Conklin isn't a good coach or otherwise qualified, but Wofford selected a young defensive-minded coach for his first head coaching gig over other young defensive coaches (who were Wofford grads) already on the staff.

The writing on the wall when the hire was announced was that the defensive staff was already as good as gone.
 #1990  by paladinfan12
 Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:08 pm
I'm sure Jerry will use some of his $2.2 billion from the panthers sale to right the ship. As long as he's alive Wofford will be competitive.
Jasper liked this
 #1991  by FUBeAR
 Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:42 pm
paladinfan12 wrote:
I'm sure Jerry will use some of his $2.2 billion from the panthers sale to right the ship. As long as he's alive Wofford will be competitive.
Surely, Wofford will not accept any more allegedly dirty money from an alleged serial sexual harasser!

If they do, won’t Team #MeToo make life unbearable for the Adminstrators, Faculty, Staff, and Students there? Won’t all of their Sr. Women Leaders, Professors, and Staff resign on principle?
 #1992  by paladinfan12
 Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:28 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
paladinfan12 wrote:
Surely, Wofford will not accept any more allegedly dirty money from an alleged serial sexual harasser!

If they do, won’t Team #MeToo make life unbearable for the Adminstrators, Faculty, Staff, and Students there? Won’t all of their Sr. Women Leaders, Professors, and Staff resign on principle?
If the team beats Furman? .... No one will care where that money came from.
 #1993  by FUBeAR
 Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:43 pm
paladinfan12 wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:28 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
paladinfan12 wrote:

If the team beats Furman? .... No one will care where that money came from.
I hear you, but this movement/purge has not seemed to be dissuaded by the financial resources, notoriety, power, nor position of the alleged harassers & assaulters.

Other schools have changed names on buildings & returned or rejected large donations from the accused. Here’s just 1 example of another private school doing exactly that - https://nypost.com/2017/10/10/usc-rejec ... weinstein/ - I can’t imagine that Wofford would handle things any differently.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1994  by Jasper
 Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:10 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:13 pm
gofurman wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:13 pm
3= Wofford - coaching changes will hurt I think. But that front 7 D was scary when healthy. We saw that first hand in week 2 of the playoffs. All that talk of how they eeked out wins was because they were missing 2 key guys on their front 7. If healthy on their front 7 its hard to do much of anything - we couldnt' do sh**T in the playoffs vs them. As Hawg noted after our playoff loss to some WOff fan, surprised we couldn't get much outside or inside vs you all. I believe we can beat them this year.. will be interesting to watch their new coaching etc.
Wofford had a few guys missing a few games - same as just about every other College Football D.

Their best player, DLman (DE & NG) Miles Brown, started every game. Brown is expected to return for his Sr. Year. The other DE, Tyler Vaughn, started every game last year & graduated. Their expected starter at NG last year, Mikel Horton, who I think is 1 of the 2 you are referencing (not sure of or if there is a 2nd one...read on), missed the FU & Mercer games due to suspension, then started 6 straight games before missing the last 5 games due to mono. He is expected to return as a Jr in 2018. In his absence, Deon Priester, a Freshman All SoCon Player started 5 games. Priester is, as of very recently, no longer on the Wofford Football roster. Brandon Curtis had 2 starts at DE last year (Mercer & Chatt). He graduated. So, on the DL, the PorchYappers return 1 Starter, 1 Part-Time Starter & very little game experience among their other DE Starter, whomever that will be. And they will also have almost no game experience among their DL backups.

Moving to their LB’s, Terrance Morris started every game at 1 OLB. He graduated. At the other OLB, Darryl Vining started 9 of 13 games. He graduated. At 1 ILB, Colton Clemons started 12 of 13 games. He graduated. At the other ILB, Datavious Wilson started 11 of 13 games. He is expected to return as a Jr. The 3 Players who picked up the 6 Starts (for those keeping score...they started 5 DB’s vs Chatt for some reason) that their Regulars missed all return (2 Sr’s & 1 Jr). So 1 Returning Starter among their 4 LB’s & very little Starting experience among the 3 new Starters & almost no game experience for their backups.

So, in summary, they are only returning 2.5 Starters among their Front 7 AND their Regular Front 7 only missed 13 starts last year out of a possible 91. Over 86% healthy. Absence of key Players is not why they had close games last year. They had close games because they were only just a little bit better than their opponents on those days AND they had excellent, heavily experienced Coaching plus HEAVY Sr. Leadership. They may win the SoCon this year, but they will definitely not have either of those assets in their corner on game days.
Priester is a huge loss for them. He was very tough in the playoff game. He gave arguably our best lineman, Schmidt fits all game. I wonder if he transferred up a notch.
 #1997  by lawdog
 Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:59 pm
Discussing Weinstein and Jerry Richardson in the same vein makes no sense. One has been accused, beyond doubt,openly, routinely, and often, for decades, of rape and graphic harassment. Jerry Richardson, in his eighties and a heart transplant recipient, has recently, vaguely, and anonymously been accused essentially of boorish remarks, likely by someone who settled and waived all such claims; every business or other entity of any size settles such claims each year. Jerry Richardson has done more for North and South Carolina than any other individual of his era, in terms of employment , morale, and reputation of the region. He is a gentleman of the highest order but, like the rest of us, not perfect.
Paul C liked this
 #1999  by Flagman
 Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:43 pm
lawdog wrote:
Discussing Weinstein and Jerry Richardson in the same vein makes no sense. One has been accused, beyond doubt,openly, routinely, and often, for decades, of rape and graphic harassment. Jerry Richardson, in his eighties and a heart transplant recipient, has recently, vaguely, and anonymously been accused essentially of boorish remarks, likely by someone who settled and waived all such claims; every business or other entity of any size settles such claims each year. Jerry Richardson has done more for North and South Carolina than any other individual of his era, in terms of employment , morale, and reputation of the region. He is a gentleman of the highest order but, like the rest of us, not perfect.
I disagree. Gentlemen “of the highest order” don’t behave in a manner that evokes such accusations. I do agree that he is “like the rest of us, not perfect.”
fufanatic, FU69 liked this
 #2000  by FUBeAR
 Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:01 pm
lawdog wrote:
No disagreement from me, but I don’t think Team #MeToo sees it that way.

If the NFL felt the right thing to do would be to force him to sell his Team, thus disassociating him (and his family) from their organization, because of vague, anonymous accusations of “boorish remarks, likely by someone who settled and waived all such claims,” why would Wofford be exempt from following (or being relentlessly pressured to follow) the same course of action?

By the way, when I Googled - University rejects donation - that is the 1st article that popped up. There are other examples of schools taking similar courses of action with less notorious alleged perpetrators than Weinstein, including our current US President (well, I guess some don’t see him as any less notorious, but I think the point is made). Surely, you don’t need me to provide a list of all of the rich & powerful men whose former organizations have disassociated themselves from them in the past year based only on (often) vague accusations of “inappropriate behavior.”

Perhaps Donald Sterling & UCLA is a more apt example - http://newsroom.ucla.edu/releases/ucla- ... rling-gift - that I should have cited. I just didn’t feel like taking the time to scroll down. Also, right here in the SoCon, our own SamfordU, just last year, rejected $3mm from the Alabama Baptists because of objections from the LGBTQ+ community. Different social issues; similar courses of action.

With the NFL’s STRONG response to the accusations, however negligible they may be, I just don’t see how Wofford will be able to avoid taking a similar stance without incurring a #MeToo / SJW Firestorm. That’s the world we live in today. Perhaps not in SparkleCity just yet.

We’ll see, I guess.

On a side note, I heard Condoleeza Rice had the nameplate on her locker in the LADIES MEMBER’S Locker Room polished up before she teed off this morning at Augusta National.

See how that works...
 #2003  by gofurman
 Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:58 am
Paul C wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:17 pm
Thank you for exposing gofurman’s unhealthy Wofford man-love.
As I exposed Paul C for misleading me that Samford would slump last year "as they always do".. :D ... tried to tell him that they were different last year as they finally had a defense...

ALL IN FUN

Though facts is facts. Wofford beat us TWICE last year.. UGH - I HATE WOFF. facts is facts. They freakin' beat us twice. That sucks. And in the playoffs they beat us pretty dmn handily.

Anyway, yes, FUBeAR (still one of the most clever names on the board ;) ) is right. I am pretty sure Horton was one of the guys I meant - and I THINK there is confusion.. Horton played vs us in the playoffs after missing the first Woff v FU game (as noted by FUBeAR). Horton appeared to make a big difference to me. Dang off week and USC game for WOff (where they sat him) gave them time to let him heal up for the playoffs. But I admit I haven't looked at every team in detail
 #2004  by gofurman
 Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:03 am
"Priester is a huge loss for them. He was very tough in the playoff game. He gave arguably our best lineman, Schmidt fits all game. I wonder if he transferred up a notch."
-------

Wasn't aware he left.. Thanks for info ! And glad he left !
 #2005  by gofurman
 Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:13 am
No love for Woff just wanted to see if my memory was right for LAST YEARS game (maybe this year will be totally different ! Hope so !@)

-Furman Passing
C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT
P.J. Blazejowski 18/30 257 8.6 1 0
Avery Armstrong 0/1 0 0.0 0 0
TEAM 18/31 257 8.3 1 0

Wofford Passing
C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT
Brandon Goodson 8/11 88 8.0 1 0
TEAM 8/11 88 8.0 1 0

Furman Rushing
CAR YDS AVG TD LONG
Antonio Wilcox 12 24 2.0 0 5
P.J. Blazejowski 7 18 2.6 0 10
Darius Morehead 5 11 2.2 0 6
Ridge Gibson 2 3 1.5 0 2
Thomas Gordon 1 -4 -4.0 0 0
*** TEAM 27 52 1.9 0 10 *** 27 RUSHING ATTEMPTS for FIFTY TWO Yards. Suck. THat's the direct opposite of what we did to Citadel And the opposite of what we want to do...

Wofford Rushing
CAR YDS AVG TD LONG
Lennox McAfee 9 98 10.9 0 30
Andre Stoddard 17 64 3.8 0 12
Chase Nelson 8 43 5.4 1 12
Blake Morgan 9 39 4.3 1 9
Brandon Goodson 4 34 8.5 0 23
Jamison Chapman 3 13 4.3 0 6
Miller Mosley 1 2 2.0 1 2
Team 2 -2 -1.0 0 0
TEAM 53 291 5.5 3 30 53 attempts rushing for 291 yards. So it wasn't just our O couldn't move on last year's front seven.. it was that by the later stages of the game our D was worn out and they were breaking off runs.

I am not arguing - I frankly admit I need to look at who graduated ! . I was thinking they lost most of their OL this year. that would be awesome ! hope so - I was admitting in my first post I need more detail, that my post of the SoCon tiers was a 'first glance'. I need to get deeper in facts and data.. just haven't had time.

Especially if you all could help with people not on rosters.. ours (Ellis?) and others . like Priester at Woff

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.