• Injury/Redshirt Update

#19776  by fufanatic
 Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:03 pm
Since GoFurman is slacking this year ... it's been a couple of weeks since we talked injuries and/or redshirts. 16 guys have played in between 1-4 games. Here's a link to participation:

https://furmanpaladins.com/sports/football/stats/2019

Anyone have any updates?

- Is Vann out for the year? He's already taken a redshirt.

- What about Shiflet? I'm assuming at this point he's redshirting, but he could still play in 2 additional games. I couldn't remember what his injury was or how long he was supposed to be out.

- Forgot about Porter as well. Only played in 2 games.

- Maples has only played in the 1 game due to injury. Is he done for the year? Already taken a redshirt unfortunately.

- London Lewis has played in 3 games. I remember some sort of injury but couldn't remember details or timeline. He's already taken a redshirt.

- Toomey has played 4 games. We assume he's redshirting, right?

- Austin Jones only played in the 1 game due to injury. Is he done for year? Assuming he'll redshirt.

Several others, but those are ones I quickly noted.
 #19778  by paladinduece
 Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:17 pm
Vann is done for the year and so is Shiflett. I would think since they have been holding him at 4 games they want to redshirt Toomey barring a rash of injuries. Jones will be a redshirt as well, but they are hoping he can get some snaps in this season. The others I do not know.
 #19780  by AstroDin
 Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:21 pm
Jones had a hamstring issue - played on the kickoff at Western - was reinjured he's done for the year.
Toomey you bet gets a redshirt.
Johanning is next up - and I guess will see action in some of the next three games.
My guess is they want to redshirt Bell, he's now played one game.
Shiflet had season-ending surgery.
Porter has had a brace on his knee for the last several games.
Curious if Jack Barton will get some snaps???
 #19781  by gofurman
 Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:43 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:21 pm
Jones had a hamstring issue - played on the kickoff at Western - was reinjured he's done for the year.
Toomey you bet gets a redshirt.
Johanning is next up - and I guess will see action in some of the next three games.
My guess is they want to redshirt Bell, he's now played one game.
Shiflet had season-ending surgery.
Porter has had a brace on his knee for the last several games.
Curious if Jack Barton will get some snaps???
Thanks Astro ! Good info. I know they think highly Of Barton. Hate the hamstring on Jones was looking forward to watching him hope he kills it next 4 years.

And I have been slack on injuries lol. Astro is better with Redshirts. I have just recently started watching that with the 4 game rule - I find that interesting now with the Rule change. Wonder if we won a game in playoffs how would we handle some like Bell or others who have played 3 games or less. Hope we have to make those decisions!
 #19783  by fufanatic
 Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:53 pm
Thanks all for some of the updates. Disappointing that we've lost a few guys that were expected to contribute for the year, but overall we've been pretty lucky so far ... knock on wood. I'm really curious how you play the Bell situation (and other guys that have played 3 games or less). I feel like you want to save at least a game or two for the playoffs, just in case they are needed, but how do you decide? Maybe Bell plays VMI and Wofford and sits out Point if we know we are in the playoffs by then? That way he could play in the first playoff game.
 #19784  by fufanatic
 Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:55 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:52 pm
You can pull up games played as a statistic https://furmanpaladins.com/sports/football/stats/2019
Yep. Under miscellaneous. I actually thought that's what I was doing with my link in the original post, but now I see that there's not a new hyperlink for clicking on different options under tabs.
 #19822  by The Jackal
 Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:47 am
fufanatic wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:53 pm
Thanks all for some of the updates. Disappointing that we've lost a few guys that were expected to contribute for the year, but overall we've been pretty lucky so far ... knock on wood. I'm really curious how you play the Bell situation (and other guys that have played 3 games or less). I feel like you want to save at least a game or two for the playoffs, just in case they are needed, but how do you decide? Maybe Bell plays VMI and Wofford and sits out Point if we know we are in the playoffs by then? That way he could play in the first playoff game.
I expect the coaching staff has a plan.

Earlier in the season, it looked like they were holding Bell out until they needed him. Against UTC, it was pretty clear they wanted him out there early - he took the opening kickoff and, I think, we tried to hit him on a long pass early.

The good news is, we can win without him. It'd be nice to have him after Gordon graduates, though.
 #19824  by AstroDin
 Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:11 am
The good news about this season is that the old mantra "we don't have breakaway speed" is over.

I was unsure early if we would miss Bell's speed.
We've got a lot of horses in the barn now; Gordon, Miller, Anderson, Wynn, Watkins, and now Bell.

Recent Topics

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.