• SoCon and FCS Football Week 10

#19582  by tya1
 Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:29 pm
ESPN's play-by-play is screwy but it appears Mercer won 36-33 in the third OT. Both teams scored TDs on their first possessions, FGs on their second possession, and Mercer kicked a FG after Samford missed a medium distance FG on their third possession.
 #19587  by DungeonRealm
 Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:50 pm
When the new poll comes out on Monday nobody below us will jump us, and we will move ahead of 1-4 teams that lost above us (Villanova, Illinois St., Sacramento St., Kennesaw St.)

So we will be ranked somewhere #12 through #9 heading into the VMI home game next Saturday
 #19589  by Flagman
 Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:52 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
When the new poll comes out on Monday nobody below us will jump us, and we will move ahead of 1-4 teams that lost above us (Villanova, Illinois St., Sacramento St., Kennesaw St.)

So we will be ranked somewhere #12 through #9 heading into the VMI home game next Saturday
I hope you’re right.
Horse and 1 others liked this
 #19591  by gofurman
 Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:41 am
Flagman wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:

I hope you’re right.
I hope the guys don't think about being top ten the same way as did last time. CH said that last time he sensed the players were looking too big picture.. How will we handle top ten ranking this time IF we have one?

no jinx . I am scared
 #19594  by FUBeAR
 Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:14 am
MNORM wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:40 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:57 pm
I was pulling for ETSU to beat Citadel. It seems that no matter how you slice it and dice it that we need to beat Wofford because even a 2 loss Wofford team that beats is will have the tiebreaker over us.
ETSU had the ball first and goal at the 6 yard line, a time-out, and over two minutes on the clock, and threw the ball 4 straight times. They had run the ball for 224 yards and were averaging 5.7 yards per carry at that point...they deserved to lose that game. It was painful to watch.
“Players win games & Coaches lose them,” was never truer than in this debacle. Hard to believe they won the close games they won last year with this Coaching Staff. I’m thinking Henrik must’ve been changing their playcalls or something. Completely clueless. Had the bellhops beat & decided to start COACHING instead of letting their best Players win the dang game. Ugh!
 #19595  by DungeonRealm
 Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:30 am
FCS report from STATS:
http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i ... 6914670904

Quote:
"If the FCS selection committee is forced to make a Top 10 ranking following all the chaos, it may as well look like this: 1. North Dakota State; 2. James Madison; 3. Weber State; 4. South Dakota State; 5. Sacramento State; 6. Montana; 7. Central Arkansas; 8. Northern Iowa; 9. Furman; and 10. Montana State."
 #19596  by gman
 Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:09 am
gofurman wrote:
Flagman wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:

I hope you’re right.
I hope the guys don't think about being top ten the same way as did last time. CH said that last time he sensed the players were looking too big picture.. How will we handle top ten ranking this time IF we have one?

no jinx . I am scared
The players don’t care about the rankings. The only thing that matters is winning out. If we do that, our ranking will take care of itself. The only way to make the playoffs this year is to be conference champ.
bj93 liked this
 #19597  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:18 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:30 am
FCS report from STATS:
http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i ... 6914670904

Quote:
"If the FCS selection committee is forced to make a Top 10 ranking following all the chaos, it may as well look like this: 1. North Dakota State; 2. James Madison; 3. Weber State; 4. South Dakota State; 5. Sacramento State; 6. Montana; 7. Central Arkansas; 8. Northern Iowa; 9. Furman; and 10. Montana State."
Ball is in our court. Beat VMI and Mercer and we may be looking at a seed, home game, and playoff bye.
 #19598  by Jasper
 Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:24 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:14 am
MNORM wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:40 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:57 pm
I was pulling for ETSU to beat Citadel. It seems that no matter how you slice it and dice it that we need to beat Wofford because even a 2 loss Wofford team that beats is will have the tiebreaker over us.
ETSU had the ball first and goal at the 6 yard line, a time-out, and over two minutes on the clock, and threw the ball 4 straight times. They had run the ball for 224 yards and were averaging 5.7 yards per carry at that point...they deserved to lose that game. It was painful to watch.
“Players win games & Coaches lose them,” was never truer than in this debacle. Hard to believe they won the close games they won last year with this Coaching Staff. I’m thinking Henrik must’ve been changing their playcalls or something. Completely clueless. Had the bellhops beat & decided to start COACHING instead of letting their best Players win the dang game. Ugh!
I think you are correct about Henrik. I was just told the other night by one of our defensive players that Devin Hodges of Samford made most of the play calls right at the line of scrimmage. Cannot imagine, what - if anything - was in their minds.
 #19605  by gofurman
 Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:05 am
gman wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:09 am
gofurman wrote:
Flagman wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:

I hope you’re right.

no jinx . I am scared
The players don’t care about the rankings. The only thing that matters is winning out. If we do that, our ranking will take care of itself. The only way to make the playoffs this year is to be conference champ.
Gman, to the first bold part - well, kinda. I get that.. but CH himself said that last time (pre-Citadel top ten) the players got caught up 'in the big picture' or something (I paraphrase loosely) .... he was indicating that they somehow weren't focused or energized for that week and were getting a little caught up in the hype. Our coach said this directly - basically saying the players did get caught up in this last time. Maybe it was something like rankings - maybe overall standings?

Gman, to the second bold part - look, you know your stuff but most prognostications (nobowls etc) now have TWO Socon teams in picture.. partly because they pretty much take the ten conf champs and then the next 14 ((MINUS IIvy and HBCU top team - and that really helps) which fills out the top 25. IE, if you are top 23 or so you are almost surely in. Not only could we lose one and be top 22/22 easily (we lose we aren't dropping more than 7//8 slots) but Woff who lost to SC State and Sam is ranked 20th or so and picked by most like nobowls to make playoffs.

Ill go on record that if Furman or Woff win conf and the other team loses only THAT game both make playoffs. And we want that as we want SoCon to stay a 2 bid league as much as I dislike Woff. Now, should we beat Woff and they drop a game to Citadel too then all bets are off. Either team has to win out or drop just that game. Citadel and us could make it too if Citadel wins out and we drop a game as Cit would get autobid and we get in at 8-4 as we would be ranked top 20ish. Now that we and Woff are ranked I really don't get this SoCon is a one-bid league thing. Its not just what SoCon does, its what other leagues do and they are hurting themselves right now. (though I wonder if Monmouth and KSU both get in now.. that would steal a bid)
Last edited by gofurman on Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #19632  by apaladin
 Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:23 pm
The players don’t care about the rankings. The only thing that matters is winning out. If we do that, our ranking will take care of itself. The only way to make the playoffs this year is to be conference champ.[/b]
[/quote]

Simply not true. A win against VMI raps up a playoff bid:
1. VMI win and WC win raps up top 10 ranking and SoCon championship. Possible seed, bye, home game. Worst case, no seed, first round home game.
2. VMI win and loss to WC and we get an at-large bid and probably on the road in first round of playoffs.
gofurman liked this
 #19637  by gman
 Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:07 pm
apaladin wrote:
The players don’t care about the rankings. The only thing that matters is winning out. If we do that, our ranking will take care of itself. The only way to make the playoffs this year is to be conference champ.[/b]
1. VMI win and WC win raps up top 10 ranking and SoCon championship. Possible seed, bye, home game. Worst case, no seed, first round home game.
2. VMI win and loss to WC and we get an at-large bid and probably on the road in first round of playoffs.
[/quote]
Ask Clay. He says we must win out to make the playoffs. I'll trust his thoughts against yours any day of the week.
 #19642  by gofurman
 Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:38 pm
gman wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:07 pm
apaladin wrote:
Ask Clay. He says we must win out to make the playoffs. I'll trust his thoughts against yours any day of the week.
[/quote]

Gman, you are smart but thats coach speak. AP is right. we are in playoffs at 8-4. I will put my mark on that if it happens. Obviously I hope we are 9-3 though... We will be ranked somewhere 11/12/13 tomorrow. Go 2-1 and we would be ranked top 20 and 8-4. 7-2 vs FCS

Were you the one that told me Woff could NOT in any way EVER be top 25 this year? And now they are as of last week as I said and several agreed/. Granted, It may not have been you that said that. I am really asking. I think it was you or gman84 (that confuses me the two gmen... LOL) Someone said Woff could NEVER be top 25 this year. that is was in no way ever possible. that was crazy and has proven wrong. heck, Woff coulda beaten us and Citadel and moved up more still. But its already proven wrong in early November.

Sure we would rather be 9-3 and socon champs and in playoffs. taking CH literally I guess if we lose to VMI the Woff game doesnt matter as there is nothing to play for? I bet if we lost to VMI he would change his tune.. though I dont think we lose to VMI so it wont matter

actually to absolutely prove APs point - I love CH as our coach.. Love it !!! But CH also said we needed to win every conference game to assure playoffs back in September. He. said.. that. Now, having lost to Citadel, he says (slight change to story) we must win out to make playoffs - which certainly works mathematically as SoCon champs. He is right, that will absolutely work .. But its definitely a different story now. I guarantee if we lost to VMI he wouldnt maintain we had to have beaten VMI to get in playoffs.. he would change to focus on Woff and then with a win over Woff begin lobbying for us to get in playoffs. Just like he lobbied for us to get in playoffs last year and we got in in 2017 at 7-4 with a lower ranking.

We is in at 8-4.. That's what made yesterday such a huge win !@. Now let's win it outright !

Recent Topics

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.