• Have to ask ... QB controversy

#19559  by fufanatic
 Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:16 pm
Think you have to go Sisson, right? Maybe try to work in Grainger at times to try to start getting his confidence back? He obviously has a ton of potential. But today we finally saw why the coaches said that it was a close battle in camp. Sisson was brilliant. Solid passing and phenomenal with his legs. Very happy we have two guys that could be great long term.
Last edited by fufanatic on Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dornb, FUKA61, PalaDad liked this
 #19562  by FUwolfpacker
 Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:24 pm
I think you have to let Sisson run with it until he proves he isn’t the best option at this point. The Grainger we saw to start the year is still in there, but he’s clearly struggling. I just hope he keeps working hard, you never know when we may need him again.
Last edited by FUwolfpacker on Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dornb, FUKA61, fufanatic and 3 others liked this
 #19563  by gofurman
 Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:33 pm
FUwolfpacker wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:24 pm
I think you have to let Sisson run with until he proves he isn’t the best option at this point. The Grainger we saw to start the year is still in there, but he’s clearly struggling. I just hope he keeps working hard, you never know when we may need him again.
This. I think you let Sisson run Show for now. Grainger has a ton of talent but just hasn’t had something recently. I told a friend all we needed was 50/60% decent completions to keep people from jamming our run game - which was happening big time by the Citadel D etc. today we got back to that completion percent we needed and our O started working from that point on. It’s hard to be a just running team with almost no pass threat unless you have three SEC OL.

So impressed w our D etc. one thing they can work w Sisson on are false starts and delay of game (I saw in mute mode some but I think it was 2 delay of game penalties? Those are drive killers). To be expected w new qb on field but will really hurt as Texans get. Better
 #19576  by The Jackal
 Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:22 pm
Paul C wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:53 pm
Stick with the hot hand until he’s not hot anymore.
I'm not really worried about it, frankly.

Our offense needs to hit a certain percentage of passes to be at peak effectiveness. Whatever guy can hit those throws needs to be the guy.

I was glad to see that Sisson can provide help in the run game as well.
 #19577  by gofurman
 Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:39 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:22 pm
Paul C wrote:
I'm not really worried about it, frankly.

Our offense needs to hit a certain percentage of passes to be at peak effectiveness. Whatever guy can hit those throws needs to be the guy.

I was glad to see that Sisson can provide help in the run game as well.
Exactly, the only thing that frustrated me was the here internet board (well, some here) maintained we were hitting that percentage the past two weeks. we were Not. thus the Citadel loss etc.

I completely agree, all we need is to hit 50/60% of passes to back the D off the run jam that the Citadel employed. Whomever can do that, play em ! We saw today that once we hit those passes (and most weren't very deep passes) our run game started to click.. then your D gets a rest etc. We don't need Joe Montana to win the SoCon, we just need to hit 50% or more of basic passes.

Also agree wiith you Jackal throw some screens etc. I couldn't watch extensively today so I need to rewatch if I get time. Just get at least one guy out of the box and off of run defense. Man our D is fun to watch. We still could tackle a little bit better but that RB is one awesome RB at UTC. He may have just Wally pipped the starters. The UTC O got a lot better when he started playing !
 #19645  by gofurman
 Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:34 pm
well, if you are gonna look at QB and say controversy:

What is really odd for Furman is we could have THREE QBs of the same age next year.

Its possible (probable) Grainger, Sisson and Shiflett all get a shot at QB as R-Sophomores next year. yeah, its a year off but if you have a thread titled QB controversy I have not seen that very often if ever for us. 3 of same age - crazy. Another item in that is that similar to what was intended w Shiflett this year (unfortunately didn't work out) we need the athletic guys on field
 #19656  by FUPlayer74
 Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:34 pm
Paul C wrote:
I can imagine a scenario with Sisson at the helm and Granger in the Wildcat, which would be a nightmare for opposing defenses.
 #19657  by paladinfan12
 Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:17 pm
Grainger had a great start to the year, but it seemed as though something was figured out on film by opposing teams a few weeks ago. The switch to Sisson put a talented QB on a field versus a team that had never seen him before.

Grainger has a better arm, but Sisson seems to be a better runner and more accurate with short passes. I bet both see the field several over the next few weeks.
 #19660  by apaladin
 Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:39 pm
FUPlayer74 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:34 pm
Paul C wrote:
I can imagine a scenario with Sisson at the helm and Granger in the Wildcat, which would be a nightmare for opposing defenses.
IMHO the "wildcat" is now just a wasteful down. It's hard to get much when everyone in the stadium knows what is coming. Btw-CCH is a football genius. Most coaches would have waited too long to make the QB change.
 #19661  by saltyshaker
 Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:49 pm
as I stated when tua replaced hurts at alabama ,hurts stayed around for one more year and was instrumental in beating ga in the sec championship game.i would hope there will be a role for both garinger and sission going forward.right now I think hamp gives us best chance to win and should get the start vrs vmi and I see not much controversy in that assessment.
 #19668  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:49 pm
saltyshaker wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:49 pm
as I stated when tua replaced hurts at alabama ,hurts stayed around for one more year and was instrumental in beating ga in the sec championship game.i would hope there will be a role for both garinger and sission going forward.right now I think hamp gives us best chance to win and should get the start vrs vmi and I see not much controversy in that assessment.
The coaches are far more familiar with this than we are. They’ll go with their best option, I am sure
DeepPurple, AstroDin, FUKA61 liked this
 #19673  by AstroDin
 Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:58 am
I agree with the above post by Jackal, the coaches have far more knowledge than we do…

Saturday was a game of inches on several big passing plays, when they happen they look easy when they missed it's frustrating. It's in the team's best interest to get DG confident again he's a very important piece to this offense.

Concerning Sisson's play - his performance reminded me of the 2005 game in Charleston against The Citadel. Ingle was struggling Furman I believe was behind (21-7) and then he suffered leg cramps. In comes an unknown Renaldo Gray in the 4th quarter leading Furman to victory in three overtimes. With Gray at the helm, Furman started running more option and Gray saved the day.

This is a different scenario, you have to give a lot of credit to Hendrix/Quarles for making the decision early in the game to make a change. Maybe it's a nuanced thing - I've felt Grainger has run the option game well. But with Sisson at the helm, it seemed to throw the Mocs defense off. My guess is Hamp was doing a very good job with his reads. Also, there is this knock-on Hamp's arm that he's a short pass thrower. His touchdown pass to Miller proves he can hit at least the mid-range pass.

I'm interested to hear the coach's take today at his presser. It should be an interesting week of practice in TR.
 #19674  by The Jackal
 Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:35 am
AstroDin wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:58 am
I agree with the above post by Jackal, the coaches have far more knowledge than we do…

Saturday was a game of inches on several big passing plays, when they happen they look easy when they missed it's frustrating. It's in the team's best interest to get DG confident again he's a very important piece to this offense.

Concerning Sisson's play - his performance reminded me of the 2005 game in Charleston against The Citadel. Ingle was struggling Furman I believe was behind (21-7) and then he suffered leg cramps. In comes an unknown Renaldo Gray in the 4th quarter leading Furman to victory in three overtimes. With Gray at the helm, Furman started running more option and Gray saved the day.

This is a different scenario, you have to give a lot of credit to Hendrix/Quarles for making the decision early in the game to make a change. Maybe it's a nuanced thing - I've felt Grainger has run the option game well. But with Sisson at the helm, it seemed to throw the Mocs defense off. My guess is Hamp was doing a very good job with his reads. Also, there is this knock-on Hamp's arm that he's a short pass thrower. His touchdown pass to Miller proves he can hit at least the mid-range pass.

I'm interested to hear the coach's take today at his presser. It should be an interesting week of practice in TR.
That is more or less my thought process on this. Again, sometimes your starter does not have his best stuff and you have to go to the bullpen early. That doesn't mean you don't run the guy the next time in the rotation.

My guess is the situation is fluid. The coaching staff would probably prefer that Grainger start hitting his throws.

What is encouraging is that when we are able to complete our pass plays, the offense explodes. I mean, was there a single throw that Sisson made that was tightly contested? Once we started hitting open throws, our offense quickly took control of the game.

The talent is there. The calls are there. Our offense is incredibly hard to defend when all the pieces are working together.
 #19676  by sluggo
 Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:13 am
I wouldn't be too quick to throw the guy under the bus.
He handled a lot of pressure with 2 FBS games back to back and extremely high expectations from all directions.
He might just be stressed a bit from everything that is expected of him.

No matter who starts the next game, if we don't have a touch down before halfway into the 2nd quarter, put the
other QB in.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by RaleighDin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:30 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.