• WCU Postgame

#19316  by gofurman
 Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:17 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:24 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:06 pm
Ok you're right, let's just ignore that we scored 28 points against a team the rest of the league has averaged 51 points against and that we scored 10 last week against a D giving up 37+ points a game when we played them. We're rolling. I am sure we will just run all over UTC and WC and will not need a passing game. :lol: :lol:
You should absolutely ignore it. You are just making generalizations with no context.

1. Clay Hendrix doesn't care about running up a point margin. He pulled his starters midway through the 4th quarter. He was running fullback dives on 3rd and 14. They were simply trying to run the clock out not put another 14 points on the board.

Furman's last pass attempt was the 36 yard touchdown pass to Gordon midway through the 3rd Quarter. Does that sound like a team trying to hang 50?

2. WCU moved as slow as their team ever has under Mark Speir. They wanted to limit Furman's possessions. They had a 9 minute drive in the first quarter and there were only three TOTAL possessions in that quarter. We had, what, 5 total possessions in the first half and scored on three of them. WCU was absolutely trying to shorten the game and limit Furman's ability to score.

3. Other teams have put up a lot of points on them, but few teams have actually faced Tyrie Adams. Their backup is a huge drop off and their offense stinks without Adams. Bad offense - more punts - more possessions at midfield for the opposition. Look at the WCU/Wofford game stats and see how many times Wofford took possession of a drive at midfield.

Again, where would you be satisfied with the effort? 35-7? 42-7? 100-7?
Jackal, I get your points and agree that western went EXTREMELY slow - the western announcers on ESPN3 were astounded -trying to limit possessions. However, to deny the passing frustrations is to argue with our Coach. Listen to his presser at the top of the thread from the 1 minute mark to about 1:25 ( I think). Hendrix is visibly frustrated with our passing. I like how he doesn't sugar coat it.

CH QOUTES regarding passing: " Certainly in the passing game we jsut gotta continue to get better there "... "we've done a good job during the week preparing" "we hit some big plays in the passing game".. " (passing) we have stuff we are confident calling and executing and we just haven't done it"
Last edited by gofurman on Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #19317  by fufanatic
 Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:25 pm
There is no way our staff is satisfied with our passing game. No way. No matter how people want to spin it. But the lack of INTs is certainly a bright spot, and we are winning games. And I believe we can win plenty more games in regular season with similar stats. But don’t think it will fly on road at NDSU or some of the other powers in round 2.
gofurman, FUpaladin08 liked this
 #19318  by gofurman
 Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:30 pm
fufanatic wrote:
There is no way our staff is satisfied with our passing game. No way. No matter how people want to spin it. But the lack of INTs is certainly a bright spot, and we are winning games. And I believe we can win plenty more games in regular season with similar stats. But don’t think it will fly on road at NDSU or some of the other powers in round 2.
right, look, i LOVE that we won.. Love our coaches etc. But CH himself called out our passing game. watch the 2 minute post game presser. He says the running was great. That two minute drill was a thing of beauty (boy was it!!!) but we have to improve passing. Defending this passin' is like defending our 2013 team (SoCon champs!) offense. I recall some said at the time that what we were doing under Fowler was sustainable for winning. It wasn't. Not long term. Let's not fool ourselves that this passing will go too far.. Vs UTC and WOff and playoff caliber teams it would be scary.

"You aren't as good as you think you are when you win. You aren't as bad as you think you are when you lose" - that is true.
 #19319  by fufanatic
 Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:33 pm
I would just like to know what teams are doing now versus beginning of the year in defending the pass. Because that GSU performance was one of the best in recent furman history.
 #19320  by gofurman
 Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:44 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:33 pm
I would just like to know what teams are doing now versus beginning of the year in defending the pass. Because that GSU performance was one of the best in recent furman history.
I too would like to hear from Jackal and FUBeAR etc.. others that played - but I don't think they are doing anything much different vs our pass. If anything, I have seen opponents are stacking box v run and putting more pressure on our pass game to be successful. I think it's easier for the QB to be confident when the run game is working as he doesn't feel pressure to carry the team. When run isn't working (CItadel) its tough because you know you HAVE To complete passes now ... always easier to do things succesfully when you don't have to. But I don't think we are seeing coverages we haven't seen before. We just aren't executing as well on our side - some WRs are easily open. and there is the weather. I would love to see a dry game this week :D
 #19321  by JohnW
 Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:26 pm
What is the argument here? Are we saying that the offense is bad and it's the QB's fault? Are we saying we're winning, we're good, but if we play someone else at QB we'll be better? What is it because reading the thread it's obvious some want us to be unhappy with a 21 point win, or a 4-1 conference mark, a national ranking....and it's DG's fault. Let's see if I can bottom line it. The offense is not bad. In fact it's so good if we don't score 40+ we're not happy (some panic). DG has 16 of our 34 total TDs. Our much maligned R-Fr QB has basically half our points. Which is how you keep score. Which determines wins, which determines season outcomes. The offense is good and an awful lot of it is the QB's fault.
FUKA61, Bootie, AstroDin and 5 others liked this
 #19324  by gofurman
 Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:48 pm
JohnW wrote:
What is the argument here? Are we saying that the offense is bad and it's the QB's fault? Are we saying we're winning, we're good, but if we play someone else at QB we'll be better? What is it because reading the thread it's obvious some want us to be unhappy with a 21 point win, or a 4-1 conference mark, a national ranking....and it's DG's fault. Let's see if I can bottom line it. The offense is not bad. In fact it's so good if we don't score 40+ we're not happy (some panic). DG has 16 of our 34 total TDs. Our much maligned R-Fr QB has basically half our points. Which is how you keep score. Which determines wins, which determines season outcomes. The offense is good and an awful lot of it is the QB's fault.
John, Hi. I think all that some are saying is if you broke our game down into its pieces and parts. Our run O is great. Run D is great. Pass D is vastly improved !!! Wow I’m shocked how much better we are at pass D (used to Sam was a given loss) ! Awesome. Special teams w Atkins and kick off coverage are superb. Pass O is the weaker piece. Thys all. If we want to compete at an elite level that’s the piece we need to see return. That’s all. I think that’s fair
 #19325  by FUBeAR
 Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:08 pm
Unlike Kevin Bacon’s specious claim in Animal House, all IS well in Paladin House.

* Chatt’s D is just meh -not bad, but certainly not great
* VMI’s D plays hard, but they are just not quite talented or fast enough to be consistently & entirely effective. Gotta give their Defensive Staff credit though - they have been the only SoCon staff smart enough (and/or not too arrogant) to deploy a circa 1962 D scheme to stop the bellhops’ circa 1962 O.
* Woffy’s D plays hard, but they have holes & can be exploited. Don’t @ me with stats. Their schedule and, to a lesser extent, returning to (basically) running their old O, have skewed those stats. Chatt’s also-meh O put up 34 on ‘em...shoulda been 36 & a Woffy L.

Recall Coach Hendrix’s 3 principles of program success in terms of Players...

1) Recruit
2) DEVELOP
3) Retain

FR QB is getting tons of OTJ DEVELOPMENT. If you have kids or have ever Coached, you know that individual progress is NEVER linear...1 step forward, 2 steps back; then 3 steps forward, 1 step back; then 1 step forward, 2 steps back; then 2 steps forward...That’s how humans (and QB’s ARE humans - except Tom Brady - he’s a 6-time reincarnated clone of an alien) DEVELOP.

Several young WR’s & a TE are on that same track; along with a couple of OLmen.

CIT was bad (3 steps back bad); WCU was fine; Chatt will be fine; Woffy will be a test - but more so for the young-ish D than the O. I expect a passing grade & on to the Playoffs!
Last edited by FUBeAR on Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:42 am, edited 4 times in total.
FUKA61, furman88, FurmAlum liked this
 #19326  by FUpaladin08
 Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:28 pm
fufanatic wrote:
I doubt it flies on the road at Wofford or we will get what happen two years ago in the playoffs when they stone walked out run game.
 #19328  by apaladin
 Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:51 pm
With all that is said it really boils down to this. We have played one of the top 5 teams in the conference and got dominated by said team. There is hope but I don't get all the confidence everyone is exuding. Just sayin'
 #19329  by JohnW
 Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:14 pm
gofurman wrote:
JohnW wrote:
John, Hi. I think all that some are saying is if you broke our game down into its pieces and parts. Our run O is great. Run D is great. Pass D is vastly improved !!! Wow I’m shocked how much better we are at pass D (used to Sam was a given loss) ! Awesome. Special teams w Atkins and kick off coverage are superb. Pass O is the weaker piece. Thys all. If we want to compete at an elite level that’s the piece we need to see return. That’s all. I think that’s fair
It's not the least bit fair. This guy has been, for lack of a better term, picked on or nit picked to death. I've read this board a long time and I can't recall anything like it. I don't know what's behind it, but doubt it's anything as benign as an X and O discussion, however much you attempt that characterization. Just not buying it. Never seen a player put through, week in and week out, what for niceties sake, we'll call a critique. Let's put it this way if it's " be nice if we'd complete a few more passes", was all there was to it, there wouldn't be so much blather. Multiple threads, same people saying the same thing over and over. At some point it becomes mean spirited. To me it reached that last week.

Now somewhat in self-defense I will say I think your, hell lets call it a talent, for intricate discussion has been co-opted by other less benign fans to put the knife in, so you're more of an enabler. You just won't let it go and I don't think anything I've written will change that, so let me throw this out. Grainger was 4-10 for 96 yds, a TD, and his team scored 28 points and won. Adams the WCU QB, pre-season offensive POY, was 18-22 for 106 yds, 0 TD, 7 points and a loss. Which QB had the best game?
FUKA61, FUwolfpacker, AstroDin and 4 others liked this
 #19330  by The Jackal
 Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:38 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:51 pm
With all that is said it really boils down to this. We have played one of the top 5 teams in the conference and got dominated by said team. There is hope but I don't get all the confidence everyone is exuding. Just sayin'
You aren't actually "sayin'" anything. You are just creating arbitrary statistical parameters to fit your constantly shifting narrative (notwithstanding what you say is not actually true).

If you want to talk schedule, look at UTC. UTC's four wins have come against teams with a combined 6-27 record. They lost 45-0 to a UT team that lost to the Georgia State team we played step for step with.

Look at Wofford's schedule. They've barely been challenged.

So if you are going to apply the "we haven't beaten anyone" criticism, apply it to everyone.

I personally think the Citadel is the best team we'll see in conference play. A healthy Rainey makes a huge difference for them.
 #19331  by gofurman
 Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:15 am
JohnW wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:14 pm
gofurman wrote:
JohnW wrote:
It's not the least bit fair. This guy has been, for lack of a better term, picked on or nit picked to death. I've read this board a long time and I can't recall anything like it. I don't know what's behind it, but doubt it's anything as benign as an X and O discussion, however much you attempt that characterization. Just not buying it. Never seen a player put through, week in and week out, what for niceties sake, we'll call a critique. Let's put it this way if it's " be nice if we'd complete a few more passes", was all there was to it, there wouldn't be so much blather. Multiple threads, same people saying the same thing over and over. At some point it becomes mean spirited. To me it reached that last week.

Now somewhat in self-defense I will say I think your, hell lets call it a talent, for intricate discussion has been co-opted by other less benign fans to put the knife in, so you're more of an enabler. You just won't let it go and I don't think anything I've written will change that, so let me throw this out. Grainger was 4-10 for 96 yds, a TD, and his team scored 28 points and won. Adams the WCU QB, pre-season offensive POY, was 18-22 for 106 yds, 0 TD, 7 points and a loss. Which QB had the best game?
Thank you for recognizing the difference. We agree there. I am simply seeking discussion. Good back and forth like the option D thread that led to a great post from FUBeAR helping myself and others with the intricacies of option D. That’s my goal. Seriously

4/10 96 yds TD. 18/22 106. 0 TD. ITS CLOSE as to which QB had a better game. But FURMAN is the better TEAM. And that’s all that matters to me ! :D Just want Furman to win

I have no ill will towards any player on our team and hope we beat UTC. Maybe this will be telling. My fav game was Sam where we were crazy efficient and ran at will. I am not asking for 20/25 passing. But as Citadel showed and most agree we need some Measure of passing efficiency to back the better Ds from being so aggressive towards our run game.

Lookin forward to watching us play UTC. We will learn a lot from this coming game. Please be sunny :!:
 #19332  by The Jackal
 Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:49 am
The citadel game primarily showed that Furman, along with most college teams, is capable of having a bad game.

It happens and none of us should read too much into it or use that game try to explain the universe.

Bad games happen. We can get better.
DeepPurple, FUKA61, AstroDin and 3 others liked this
 #19333  by AstroDin
 Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:52 am
JohnW I agree with your post.

I'm sure some you don't mean it to come off the way it does - but some of the chatter reads as consistent nit-picking about DG.

I'm not sure we've ever had a QB that could do what DG did on the 0:37 drive at the end of the first half. Maybe Ingle, but I can't remember Ingle faking defenders out in the open field. Another element that is not talked about is how far DG as come running the option and making the pitch.

I'm very excited about the future. I appreciate the journey of watching a young QB develop. DG is going to have his ups and downs but one thing you can't take away from him is his ability to use his feet. And I still think we will see more consistency in the passing game as we close out our SoCon run.
FUKA61, furman88, gman and 1 others liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by RaleighDin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:30 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.