• Around the Southern Conference Today

#19297  by Affirm
 Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:17 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:20 am
We beat UTC, VMI and Woff we are outright champs, we are in control right now and that's all you can ask for, just gotta go out their and handle our business!
If we lose to any one of them, are we likely out of the FCS playoffs?
Are we in a situation already of it being "playoffs" us?
 #19298  by gman
 Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:45 am
affirm wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
We beat UTC, VMI and Woff we are outright champs, we are in control right now and that's all you can ask for, just gotta go out their and handle our business!
Out. Only the SoCon champ gets in this year.
 #19303  by apaladin
 Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:41 am
gman wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:45 am
affirm wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
Out. Only the SoCon champ gets in this year.
Not true IMHO. IF FU wins 2 of 3 prolly still in as one loss will not drop us from top 25. Still would be around 20 or so with prolly 3 teams ahead of us that don't participate in the playoffs. Now if FU wins the auto bid then I agree only the SoCon champ.
 #19307  by AstroDin
 Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:42 am
I just got my AGS ballot for the week - more havoc.

#3, #6, and #11 all ahead of us lost. Behind us #15, #17, #20 lost.

IMO, the good news for the SoCon is the CAA beating itself up.
Nova now has 2 losses. Towson has four losses. Delaware has four losses.
Stony Brook is sitting at 5-3 they will now start moving up in the polls.
Albany and UNH only have 3 losses but not currently in the top 25, they will jump up this week.

Maybe the biggest roadblock for a SoCon team getting an at-large bid is the OVC with three teams sitting at 5-3; SEMO, JaXSt, and AP. We need two of the three to have four losses.

edit >> just took a look at the composite CAA schedule;
Nova still to play; @UNH, Richmond, Delaware
Stony still to play; @Richomond, Towson, @Delaware, Albany
Looking at Albany and UNH's remaining games they are going to both have atleast four losses too.
 #19308  by The Jackal
 Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:15 pm
I think Furman still has a really good shot at the playoffs.

Bottom line, there are about 3 really consistent teams in the FCS this season and they have to fill out a 24 team bracket. There just aren't that many teams building an unassailable resume.

Now, I don't think Furman wants to be the No. 3 SoCon team.
 #19311  by apaladin
 Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:15 pm
Regardless of what other teams do, Furman needs to beat VMI and at least split with UTC and WC and they are in. Lose any 2 of these games and they are out and don't deserve to be in.
 #19313  by gofurman
 Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:47 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:15 pm
Regardless of what other teams do, Furman needs to beat VMI and at least split with UTC and WC and they are in. Lose any 2 of these games and they are out and don't deserve to be in.
agree AP. Win out we win the SoCon. Beat VMI (weaker run D helps us ) and POINT and we need to split UTC and WOff and we are probably in at 8-4, (7-2 FCS ) which should hold up. especially as I think that would ranked top 20/25. We are maybe at 13 this week w Montana State losing to an ORV UND team. It will be close how far they drop.. my point is ( and I dont have many good points ;) ) - continue to win 3 and drop 1 and we are almost for sure - deservedly or not - top 20ish. I don't see them leaving a top 20 ranked team out that is 8-4 where two of the losses are FBS. Key is that The Citadel loss is already in our ranking of 14 .. as are the two FBS losses... those 3 losses are already included and they have us at nbr 14. So in my hypothetical there is only one more loss to include.

As Astro said there are a lot of teams beating up on each other (granted, CAA IS better than SoCon) and we should pull for everyone to have 5-5 type records. Teams below us having .600 records really helps our resume. Astro listed all of them I think. We got a lot of that this week and it will continue to happen...

EDIT: actually I found two more that lost - Astro, I think 22 UC Davis and 25 Sam Houston lost also ? that's good for us. Keep those top 25 losses coming, and we probably ought to focus on the COACHES poll. that's the poll the committee said they look at,. So Montana State lost but they are number 9 in coaches. Nichols at 15 losing really is a good thing for us. Interesting.. just loooked but the one Astro lists correctly at 20 in AGS (UT Martin) is 26th in the poll the committee uses. Still helps though.

So for the poll the committee stated last year that they use for guidance (COACHES) these are teams that lost:
number 3, 6, 9, 15, 17, 22, 25, 26 . Good stuff. especially 15 and 17 losing and now having 4-4 records.
 #19315  by gofurman
 Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:09 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:04 am
Not SoCon, but Georgia State won again. They are 6-2.
Jackal, good stuff, I underestimated GSU. I fully admit that.

I do doubt the committee (Just from watching their choices on teams some years) gets any farther than 'Furman was close w two FBS teams'. I might give them that. And even that is a stretch perhaps. Will the committee know the record of Georgia State?? .. I really really doubt it. Not sniping, just from what I have seen and read at length on AGS on the depth of our FCS committee's "research" (I use that word loosely) I doubt they could tell you anything about GSU. I fully believe many here know more about GSU than the FCS committee does.

Would you agree?

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by RaleighDin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:30 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.