• 2020 Offers

#19165  by Jasper
 Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:51 am
CCH and his staff are doing a fantastic job at recruiting. The level of players being brought in has risen substantially. The importance of that cannot be overstated. And its not just the very highly rated. I have heard that Devin Wynn was not heavily recruited and he is unquestionably a great back who could play at a P5 program. Congratulations to the staff.
FUKA61 liked this
 #19166  by Paul C
 Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:52 am
Jasper wrote:
CCH and his staff are doing a fantastic job at recruiting. The level of players being brought in has risen substantially. The importance of that cannot be overstated. And its not just the very highly rated. I have heard that Devin Wynn was not heavily recruited and he is unquestionably a great back who could play at a P5 program. Congratulations to the staff.
Only had offers from Morehead St and Presbyterian, according to this...

https://recruitgeorgia.com/paladins-pic ... eper-wynn/
 #19167  by Paul C
 Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:54 am
AstroDin wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:10 am
Still, Furman has several players that were not ranked Wayne Anderson, Jr. or based on the criteria Devin Wynn would not be ranked. Furman has seven commits listed in the top twenty, actually, all ten commits so far are in the top 30. Kendall Thomas is sitting at #26, not due to talent, Thomas will end up rushing for over 2,000 this season, will end up with a lower ranking due to being recruited primarily by Ivy schools.
Funny, but the opposite is true as well. Some of the most highly regarded recruits we've signed have never panned out. I recall Riley Gessner, turned down Ga Tech for Furman, never played a down and London Lewis who decommitted from Liberty and had gobs of offers has struggled. Which is what makes following recruiting fun...
 #19169  by The Jackal
 Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:58 am
AstroDin wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:10 am
^^ I agree… based on twitter I'm pretty sure we will add a kicker in this class and a long-snapper.

Brian McLaughlin (Hero Sports) does a fantastic job with FCS coverage, plus he's bullish on what Clay is building at Furman. He puts a lot of work on this and it's about as fair and a process we could hope for evaluating FCS recruits.

Note about the process: These high school recruits are ranked by how many other college options these commitments had, and who those offers came from. This is NOT using the star system from any of the recruiting services (never will).

Still, Furman has several players that were not ranked Wayne Anderson, Jr. or based on the criteria Devin Wynn would not be ranked. Furman has seven commits listed in the top twenty, actually, all ten commits so far are in the top 30. Kendall Thomas is sitting at #26, not due to talent, Thomas will end up rushing for over 2,000 this season, will end up with a lower ranking due to being recruited primarily by Ivy schools.
The obvious flaw in the model is that it tends to look at volume of offers. I think recruit rankings are sort of dumb anyway, and there's not a great way to objectively classify different players.

Some kids may just be an early firm commitment to a school and other schools won't bother. Are they not as good just because they solidly committed to Furman early in the summer and other teams started to look elsewhere?
 #19172  by Jasper
 Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:08 am
Paul C wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:52 am
Jasper wrote:
Only had offers from Morehead St and Presbyterian, according to this...

https://recruitgeorgia.com/paladins-pic ... eper-wynn/
That is a ridiculous display on that video. It looks like he is just toying with opponents at that level and can do whatever he wants. I assume he did not get attention because of the low level of competition but his total domination should have been spotted. Great get by the FU staff. I was talking to one of Wynn's teammates yesterday and he said that he is the best back he has ever played with or against. I'll bet there are a lot of big time Georgia college coaches kicking themselves over that miss.
 #19173  by AstroDin
 Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:24 am
geez… I keep forgetting WYnn had over 2,300 yards rushing his senior year. You could transpose that highs school tape with some of his Furman highlights. An excellent case of mining for talent that falls through the cracks.

I'll give you one more — Jake Johanning - played AA ball for one of the smallest high schools in the state SJCS, named region POY as an offensive lineman, started both ways in the North/South game, had the most tackles. Pretty sure Furman and Wofford were his only primary offers.

Excited to see what Jake does in these next four games, before he redshirts.

Back to Wynn. You have to give the coaches credit for choosing great talent for the offensive backfield. If Kendall Thomas can duplicate what he's doing against 6-A Texas competition - he'll be a weapon.
 #19176  by gofurman
 Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:18 pm
the coaches are doing a great job. no doubt!

It is tough to rank guys and also to know who will pan out from a 'stick around' standpoint. I was excited about the DL from Hanna we got but I think he checked out pretty quickly. Not sure what happened there. Recruiting is a tough game with about as many variables as possible for sure. Some guys that are freak athletes just don't have the 'want to' for this level or something - and I get it. It is a huge time commitment

That said, the Wynn's and Louis Ivory are the exception to the rule for sure. If you looked at % of guys to become all-conference or to become a starting player I guarantee the numbers are higher if they had an SEC offer than if they had one D1 offer. I trust our coaches. This isn't about us or any team. Just a statement that our best player in past 20 years? Ingle Martin.. he had REAL SEC offers obviously. Instant game changer! Its obviously why SoCon John ranks guys the way he does - by FBS offers and then number of FCS offers etc. This year the freshman who is contributing most? E Jumper and his bio says "Chose Furman from 19 scholarship offers, including 12 from FBS programs." So there is definite correlation ! If we had a team that all had SEC or ACC offers obviously we would be in the top 5. If every player has 5+ FBS offers we will KILL the SoCon ! Agbenou "Chose Furman from among 14 scholarship offers, including five by FBS programs". And he is out there playing now and is a freak athlete! those are two of the FR playing the most and they had lots of interest and FBS offers. Hugh Ryan is playing a lot and I admit don't know what his offers were. A little of the PT comes from need for sure - Center, then Vann got hurt moving Agbenou further up the chart and safety depth at SS. But all three look like great players for years to come !
 #19182  by Paul C
 Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:47 pm
If I remember correctly, Hugh Ryan was basically unrecruited by D1's until late in the process when he attracted offers from FU and Wofford....so he's one that fell through the cracks despite playing for a premier championship program (Dutch Fork).

GF - I agree that the odds a player will work out are higher the more offers and interest he has vs someone who was lightly recruited, but the correlation isn't that high.

In fact, go to the 24/7 Furman page and they'll show the "highest ranked" recruits we've signed over the years. (FWIW, I think the 24/7 site is terrible for FCS ) but you'll see that of the top 10 rated (by their metrics) players we've ever signed, 5 were total busts....Coleman, Gessner, Graham, Black and Elliott....

https://247sports.com/college/furman/Se ... l/Commits/
AstroDin liked this
 #19183  by Paul C
 Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:58 pm
JohnW wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 8:27 pm
Per his tweet Wilson Long, 6-1 180 QB, from Regents School, Austin TX has an offer.
Was digging around a little and this QB prospect looks uncommitted....in fact, he had been committed to Texas Tech and decomitted over the summer (which is usually code for they took a commit from someone they had rated higher). he now holds offers from Furman, Western Ky, Harvard, Princeton, North Texas, U-Louisiana (not sure monroe or lafayette)....
 #19184  by The Jackal
 Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:41 pm
Paul C wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:58 pm
JohnW wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 8:27 pm
Per his tweet Wilson Long, 6-1 180 QB, from Regents School, Austin TX has an offer.
Was digging around a little and this QB prospect looks uncommitted....in fact, he had been committed to Texas Tech and decomitted over the summer (which is usually code for they took a commit from someone they had rated higher). he now holds offers from Furman, Western Ky, Harvard, Princeton, North Texas, U-Louisiana (not sure monroe or lafayette)....
The artist formerly known as "Louisiana Lafayette" (the Ragin' Cajuns) had the bright idea to rebrand themselves "Louisiana."
 #19190  by AstroDin
 Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:06 pm
Paul C wrote:
If I remember correctly, Hugh Ryan was basically unrecruited by D1's until late in the process when he attracted offers from FU and Wofford....so he's one that fell through the cracks despite playing for a premier championship program (Dutch Fork).

GF - I agree that the odds a player will work out are higher the more offers and interest he has vs someone who was lightly recruited, but the correlation isn't that high.

In fact, go to the 24/7 Furman page and they'll show the "highest ranked" recruits we've signed over the years. (FWIW, I think the 24/7 site is terrible for FCS ) but you'll see that of the top 10 rated (by their metrics) players we've ever signed, 5 were total busts....Coleman, Gessner, Graham, Black and Elliott....

I heard the same thing about Hugh Ryan… not sure why but he turned heads with his play in the Shrine Bowl.

BTW… Chizik only had two offers Furman and Chatty. AGain not sure why maybe size, but he plays bigger.
 #19209  by FUBeAR
 Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:29 pm
Paul C wrote:

Probably not fair to label Tim Coleman a “total bust” as he’s started @ Left Tackle every game (except his ‘sit-out-due-to-transfer’ Year) for every college Team that he’s played for...all 11 for Furman in 2017 & @ Richmond...

_____________Career 2019
Name_______GP/GS GP/GS Streak
Tim Coleman 18/18___7/7___18

Didn’t work out for/at Furman, but not a ‘total bust’ - not with 39 Starts & a 1.5 years to play.
 #19210  by gofurman
 Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:39 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:29 pm
Paul C wrote:

Probably not fair to label Tim Coleman a “total bust” as he’s started @ Left Tackle every game (except his ‘sit-out-due-to-transfer’ Year) for every college Team that he’s played for...all 11 for Furman in 2017 & @ Richmond...

_____________Career 2019
Name_______GP/GS GP/GS Streak
Tim Coleman 18/18___7/7___18

Didn’t work out for/at Furman, but not a ‘total bust’ - not with 39 Starts & a 1.5 years to play.
Yeah, if Coleman is tearing it up elsewhere that's not really a bust.. just didn't work out for us unffortunately.

PaulC - I had never looked for us on 24/7.. Thanks for showing me that ! Seeing that list made me remember Bailey Rogers. had forgotten about him. I recall you were pumped about that kid. I wish we had gotten him but on to the next I guess!!

onward and upward ! our recruiting looks great !!
 #20059  by JohnW
 Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:20 pm
JohnW wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:11 pm
Per his tweet Mitch Jeter, 5-11 175 PK, from Cannon School in Salisbury, NC has an offer.

Per his tweet Jeremiah Johnson, 6-1 250 DL, from Fleming Island, FL has an offer.
Latest offers plus one today....

Tyson Player, 6-1 177 DB, from Ridge View HS, SC has an offer.

Per his tweet Ian Williams, 6-3 180 PK, from Weddington, NC has an offer.
 #21002  by FUwolfpacker
 Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:06 am
JohnW wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:20 pm
Per his tweet Ian Williams, 6-3 180 PK, from Weddington, NC has an offer.
Just saw on a State board where Ian Williams will be at Furman this weekend for his OV. CCH mentioned this would be a big recruiting weekend. Unfortunately, it seems they have offered a full ride scholarship as of a day or two ago. Guess we'll see what happens.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.