fufanatic wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 10:44 am
The Jackal wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 8:55 am
apaladin wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 3:17 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 1:23 pm
With games like this, I always hope that we score at least one TD and don't let the opponent get to 60. No one comments on a 52-10 game. It starts making news if it's 60-3.
The most points Clempson has scored on FU since 1964 is 41, which was the last game in 2012. I think that is about a dozen games.

Furman played Clemson in 2012 starting Reese Hannon in his first college start as a true freshman. It was 20-7 at halftime.

We were down 21-13 to NC State last year before giving up a late score with seconds left in the first half. Many thought Furman left some points on the field. That NC State team lost to Clemson by 7. NC State also had the #5 pick in the draft on their defensive line, and he managed 2 tackles against us. So, it isn't like this fall will be the first time our OL sees NFL caliber defensive linemen.

Clemson's a good club, but I have no expectations that this game will get wildly out of hand. We are better than they think we are. We also run the ball a lot and the clock will keep moving and shortening the game.
And by "games like this" I meant games against top five FBS teams. Which we don't play a lot of. And this Clemson team is scary ... 2016, 2017, 2018 Clemson is probably on a bit different level than 2012 Clemson and I always hate playing the FBS team the first game of the year. In 2012 it was the 3rd game. Without looking it up I can only imagine that our FBS scores are much more competitive when they aren't the first game of the year. Having said that I do agree with the above ... we almost always play Clemson well at least for a while, we almost always play FBS teams well in general, and our offense is helpful to keeping the score a bit lower than a normal FCS team might. So here's certainly hoping for an all-time upset, but if not that, a score that's competitive and no injuries.

Maybe Clemson is better than they were in 2012, but so is Furman. That 2012 Furman team was 3-8.

I remember watching Furman play at Auburn (2009). Auburn's first string could have pushed us around all over the field. They eventually put in their backups, which were much more our speed and we started to move the ball and put up points.

The only way this game gets abysmally out of hand is if Clemson goes full throttle for four quarters (they won't) and we start kicking the ball around and giving it back to them (hopefully not).

This is a broad statement, but many times when there's a truly ugly scoreline the other team simply cannot hold on to the ball. Rarely do you see a team just pin their opponent on the 20 yard line and make them punt 15 times. Most games that really get out of hand do so because of turnovers, non-offensive touchdowns, that sort of thing. As long as the clock is moving and your team gets its 3 or 4 possessions a quarter, things will be manageable.
 #1869  by Bootie
 Tue May 22, 2018 3:44 pm
I can guarantee you Clay and company will be going into this game with as much of a plan as they can muster to come out on top. The odds will certainly be against us, as always, but if it can be done, I believe they are the ones who can do it.
QCGlue, FUBeAR liked this
 #1870  by The Jackal
 Tue May 22, 2018 3:50 pm
Bootie wrote:
I can guarantee you Clay and company will be going into this game with as much of a plan as they can muster to come out on top. The odds will certainly be against us, as always, but if it can be done, I believe they are the ones who can do it.

I don't know how much it will matter, but Furman also has a Clemson defector on their roster in Amir Trapp. I imagine he'd be a useful resource.
 #1872  by fufanatic
 Tue May 22, 2018 4:36 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 10:55 am
fufanatic wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 10:44 am
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
With games like this, I always hope that we score at least one TD and don't let the opponent get to 60. No one comments on a 52-10 game. It starts making news if it's 60-3.
The most points Clempson has scored on FU since 1964 is 41, which was the last game in 2012. I think that is about a dozen games.

Furman played Clemson in 2012 starting Reese Hannon in his first college start as a true freshman. It was 20-7 at halftime.

We were down 21-13 to NC State last year before giving up a late score with seconds left in the first half. Many thought Furman left some points on the field. That NC State team lost to Clemson by 7. NC State also had the #5 pick in the draft on their defensive line, and he managed 2 tackles against us. So, it isn't like this fall will be the first time our OL sees NFL caliber defensive linemen.

Clemson's a good club, but I have no expectations that this game will get wildly out of hand. We are better than they think we are. We also run the ball a lot and the clock will keep moving and shortening the game.
And by "games like this" I meant games against top five FBS teams. Which we don't play a lot of. And this Clemson team is scary ... 2016, 2017, 2018 Clemson is probably on a bit different level than 2012 Clemson and I always hate playing the FBS team the first game of the year. In 2012 it was the 3rd game. Without looking it up I can only imagine that our FBS scores are much more competitive when they aren't the first game of the year. Having said that I do agree with the above ... we almost always play Clemson well at least for a while, we almost always play FBS teams well in general, and our offense is helpful to keeping the score a bit lower than a normal FCS team might. So here's certainly hoping for an all-time upset, but if not that, a score that's competitive and no injuries.

Maybe Clemson is better than they were in 2012, but so is Furman. That 2012 Furman team was 3-8.

I remember watching Furman play at Auburn (2009). Auburn's first string could have pushed us around all over the field. They eventually put in their backups, which were much more our speed and we started to move the ball and put up points.

The only way this game gets abysmally out of hand is if Clemson goes full throttle for four quarters (they won't) and we start kicking the ball around and giving it back to them (hopefully not).

This is a broad statement, but many times when there's a truly ugly scoreline the other team simply cannot hold on to the ball. Rarely do you see a team just pin their opponent on the 20 yard line and make them punt 15 times. Most games that really get out of hand do so because of turnovers, non-offensive touchdowns, that sort of thing. As long as the clock is moving and your team gets its 3 or 4 possessions a quarter, things will be manageable.
2009 had to be the low point for FBS vs. Furman games. Auburn and Missouri were just downright ugly and unfortunately not close from the beginning. Even though they turned out to be bad too, the Michigan State game is the dream scenario for an FCS team looking to beat what appeared to be a powerful FBS squad. Keep it close all game and have a chance to tie the game or take the lead in the 4th.
FU69 liked this
 #1875  by FUBeAR
 Tue May 22, 2018 6:12 pm
Bootie wrote:
I was about to say similar. I’ll take it a little further.

If I know Coach Hendrix (and I have for over 30 years), he will go into that game EXPECTING to win & more importantly, he’ll have his Coaching Staff & Players EXPECTING to win. The only ones that won’t be are the true Freshman that travel, but only because they just haven’t had enough time to become Death Dealers in their hearts. They’ll still be thinking there’s some HUGE difference in mighty Clemson & little Furman. There isn’t. There is A difference, but it’s not huge; despite what we are all led to believe. And the differences in the 1-on-1 matchups are even smaller than the cumulative difference. Win enough of those matchups, through whatever means you can win ‘em, and you can win a play. Win enough plays and you can win a series. Win enough series and you can win a quarter & a half...and, by goodness, the whole frappin’ GAME. That’s what I EXPECT. (Sorry Coach Caldwell...you’ll get over it. :-) )
Bootie, Flagman, dornb and 2 others liked this
 #1877  by The Jackal
 Wed May 23, 2018 5:42 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Bootie wrote:

If I know Coach Hendrix (and I have for over 30 years), he will go into that game EXPECTING to win & more importantly, he’ll have his Coaching Staff & Players EXPECTING to win. The only ones that won’t be are the true Freshman that travel, but only because they just haven’t had enough time to become Death Dealers in their hearts. They’ll still be thinking there’s some HUGE difference in mighty Clemson & little Furman. There isn’t. There is A difference, but it’s not huge; despite what we are all led to believe. And the differences in the 1-on-1 matchups are even smaller than the cumulative difference. Win enough of those matchups, through whatever means you can win ‘em, and you can win a play. Win enough plays and you can win a series. Win enough series and you can win a quarter & a half...and, by goodness, the whole frappin’ GAME. That’s what I EXPECT. (Sorry Coach Caldwell...you’ll get over it. :-) )

Mercer was a good example of this last year. Limit mistakes, hang around, get a few bounces and you’ll be in a position to win at the end.
 #1878  by FUBeAR
 Wed May 23, 2018 7:49 am
The Jackal wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
Bootie wrote:

Mercer was a good example of this last year. Limit mistakes, hang around, get a few bounces and you’ll be in a position to win at the end.
vs. Auburn, yes; vs. Alabama, not so much.
 #1879  by fufanatic
 Wed May 23, 2018 10:57 am
The Jackal wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
Bootie wrote:

A few bounces is right ... a +5 turnover margin and limited penalties helped offset getting doubled up in yards.

http://mercerbears.com/boxscore.aspx?id ... h=football

Winning these type of games is possible for sure, but it takes a pretty remarkable series of events RE: the above scenario. The disciplined team Furman showed last year will make it more possible in years to come if that continues to be the norm as the talent continues to improve. I'm especially excited about the back-to-back games against Virginia Tech and Georgia State in 2019.
 #1880  by The Jackal
 Wed May 23, 2018 12:17 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 10:57 am
The Jackal wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
Bootie wrote:

A few bounces is right ... a +5 turnover margin and limited penalties helped offset getting doubled up in yards.

http://mercerbears.com/boxscore.aspx?id ... h=football

Winning these type of games is possible for sure, but it takes a pretty remarkable series of events RE: the above scenario. The disciplined team Furman showed last year will make it more possible in years to come if that continues to be the norm as the talent continues to improve. I'm especially excited about the back-to-back games against Virginia Tech and Georgia State in 2019.

There's no question that +5 turnover margin is a large reason Mercer hung around against Auburn. In my view, the turnover margin is the biggest indicator of how these games go. Auburn outgained Mercer by nearly 300 yards, was 4/6 in redzone scoring, only punted twice, ran 80 plays, completed 86% of their passes, and converted 70% of their third downs.

Just looking at those figures, it should have been a blowout. Alabama put up similar numbers against Mercer and won 56-0. The difference was turnovers.

Still, Mercer did what they had to do to stay in the game. To have a chance to win games like that, you have to hang around. The way you hang around is by holding onto the ball, shortening the game, playing keep away, and forcing a few turnovers.

Teams like Furman or Mercer aren't going to beat teams like that by trying to exchange haymakers. We lose that game 10 times out of 10. We stand a chance going 11 rounds and exchanging body blows for four quarters, avoiding our opponent's uppercuts, and looking for an opportunity land a knock out.
 #1944  by apaladin
 Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:19 pm
Heard the other day that Clempson is returning 61 lettermen which is the most in school history. This is also the first time anyone has returned an entire DL that has been either been a first or second team all-american. The good thing is regardless of how many good players they have they can only play 11 at a time.
Bootie, dornb liked this
 #1945  by The Jackal
 Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:53 am
apaladin wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:19 pm
Heard the other day that Clempson is returning 61 lettermen which is the most in school history. This is also the first time anyone has returned an entire DL that has been either been a first or second team all-american. The good thing is regardless of how many good players they have they can only play 11 at a time.

Bigger they are the harder they fall.
 #1979  by gofurman
 Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:26 pm
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:
fufanatic wrote:

In an oddity i have never seen before myself (maybe you all have) - Clemson was KILLING SC State (i think SC State?) and actually both coaches agreed to end the game early. I bet VEGAS had a heart attack with that one ... hey, let's just end the game with 5 minutes left for no reason. Good to avoid injuries on the plus side... but what If I hypothetically came to watch my 3rd string son play some knowing he would be in on this game? Kinda be pissed off they cut it early. Dam you Dabo.. LOL just interesting. never seen that before myself
 #2248  by FUBeAR
 Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:26 pm
OL FU wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:45 pm
So What time does Furmadn KO Clemson :x ;)
apaladin wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 11:05 am
In case you haven't seen. 12:20 ACC network.

http://www.furmanpaladins.com/landing/index
GPIFY