• 2018 Recruiting

#1745  by JohnW
 Thu May 10, 2018 11:41 am
Another new Paladin is Isaiah Ashley, 6-4 275 OL, from NW Guilford, NC.
 #1777  by JohnW
 Tue May 15, 2018 5:39 pm
Cooper Hardin is no longer listed on the roster.
 #1778  by Jasper
 Tue May 15, 2018 6:57 pm
JohnW wrote:
I believe he was one of the 3 transfers we signed this year. If so, that makes 2 out of the 3 no longer on the team. I know that Furman has not gone the transfer route a great deal in the past few years. Perhaps there is a good reason for that. What has been the overall experience with football transfers? I recall the QB who came in from UCLA a few years ago, Chris Forcier, had a great senior season after a tough start.
 #1780  by The Jackal
 Wed May 16, 2018 7:39 am
Jasper wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 6:57 pm
JohnW wrote:
I believe he was one of the 3 transfers we signed this year. If so, that makes 2 out of the 3 no longer on the team. I know that Furman has not gone the transfer route a great deal in the past few years. Perhaps there is a good reason for that. What has been the overall experience with football transfers? I recall the QB who came in from UCLA a few years ago, Chris Forcier, had a great senior season after a tough start.

My personal opinion - transfers are no panacea. There are plenty of programs that heavily rely on such players to fill out a roster, which I think is a poor way to construct a roster.

The best and most impactful transfers are those guys that can come in and fill a hole on an already good team. In 2004 Furman had an elite defense, a lot of good players, but no QB. Ingle Martin filled that void.

Forcier was a top flight athlete, who I think Furman misused early in his career. Granted, we ran the spread option look (and I hate that offense), but it was almost too much of a "hey, he's a good athlete, let's let him carry the ball every play" type of thing. His senior year was Fowler's first year and the last time before this season that Furman really went heavy on running the ball, getting the QB out on the edge, and completing high percentage passes. Essentially, the offense Blazejowski ran as a senior.

Beyond that, transfers are usually role players. Tyler Maples comes to mind, who was a pretty good receiver for us. Not a flashy transcendent player, but solid.

I am sure there is a backstory to Brown and Hardin. Peculiar that both would be announced as transfers and then fall off the roster after a semester.
 #1781  by AstroDin
 Wed May 16, 2018 7:55 am
I'm just guessing here… but if you attend practices and or scrimmages the Furman D coaches (STAGS) expect a lot and I assume here - they want total buy-in to what they're wanting to do. I have no insight as to what happened with Brown and Hardin. My guess is Staggs and crew expected a lot, to say Stags is fiery is an understatement.

No disrespect meant to Hardin, but Cooper transferred in right before spring practice, due to injuries, he was put on the field right away. I think Cooper needed some time to come in and get his feet wet and not be so exposed. I'm not sure he was ready to come in and be the ILB starter.

Elijoy McKoy will be the ILB he's now 6-2 218, he has the size and athletic ability and he's already proven he has the talent. The coaches have to bet on the future is now for ILBs Gilby and Hackett. Concerning depth… Voyles is coming back from an injury - Willis is ready to start at OLB. I'm pinning my hope for linebacking depth on Jack Owen - I really like him - he's gutty, never gives up on a play, and has grown from a lanky safety into a 6-3 200 ILB.
The old blue crab liked this
 #1783  by The Jackal
 Wed May 16, 2018 12:03 pm
Again, no inside knowledge, but some guys just don't want to play football anymore. No shame in that. Everyone gives up the game at some point.
 #1784  by The Jackal
 Wed May 16, 2018 12:11 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 7:55 am
I'm just guessing here… but if you attend practices and or scrimmages the Furman D coaches (STAGS) expect a lot and I assume here - they want total buy-in to what they're wanting to do. I have no insight as to what happened with Brown and Hardin. My guess is Staggs and crew expected a lot, to say Stags is fiery is an understatement.

No disrespect meant to Hardin, but Cooper transferred in right before spring practice, due to injuries, he was put on the field right away. I think Cooper needed some time to come in and get his feet wet and not be so exposed. I'm not sure he was ready to come in and be the ILB starter.

Elijoy McKoy will be the ILB he's now 6-2 218, he has the size and athletic ability and he's already proven he has the talent. The coaches have to bet on the future is now for ILBs Gilby and Hackett. Concerning depth… Voyles is coming back from an injury - Willis is ready to start at OLB. I'm pinning my hope for linebacking depth on Jack Owen - I really like him - he's gutty, never gives up on a play, and has grown from a lanky safety into a 6-3 200 ILB.

In the Elon game (playoffs) one of the commentators (not Furman guys) mentioned that Bryan Okeh may be a linebacker in the future. I had never heard that before nor since, and I do not know why commentators would have said that unless they were (1) told or (2) mistaken.

Okeh may be an interesting guy to circle. We have 10 safeties currently listed on the roster, including the two we just recruited in this class. Okeh certainly is a slightly odd fit at safety at 6'4 215.

I can get a big picture of him adding a little muscle mass and being moved inside. He's used to playing in the center of the field, knows the defense, and is already our top returning tackler even as a safety.

Just for comparison's sake, William Freeman was a 6'2 195 freshman. He played as a senior at 6'3 230.
 #1785  by Jasper
 Wed May 16, 2018 1:19 pm
I agree with Okeh as a LB if need be but I also love him as a big safety covering some of the rangy wide outs that are becoming so popular. Also, I think Jordan Willis will be a standout at OLB this year. I had occasion to meet him a few weeks ago and he is definitely a lot bigger than he played at last year - which I think was 6' 205 lbs. Looked like about 6'2 and 215 to me. He's a big time hitter too.
 #1787  by The Jackal
 Wed May 16, 2018 3:58 pm
Jasper wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 1:19 pm
I agree with Okeh as a LB if need be but I also love him as a big safety covering some of the rangy wide outs that are becoming so popular. Also, I think Jordan Willis will be a standout at OLB this year. I had occasion to meet him a few weeks ago and he is definitely a lot bigger than he played at last year - which I think was 6' 205 lbs. Looked like about 6'2 and 215 to me. He's a big time hitter too.
I don't disagree with you, though I wonder if he is better suited for a linebacker. First, he was second on the team (83) in tackles behind Ellis (92) last year. That tells me Furman is already putting him up on the line a bunch.

Sort of a unique oddity in our defense is that Okeh is listed as a free safety while Aquil Anoor is listed as the strong safety Okeh was far more of a run stuffer and Anoor more of a coverage guy.

Beyond that, I don't think you necessarily need a 6'4 safety to cover rangy wideouts. At least 2 teams in our league rarely throw the ball (the Citadel/Wofford). The best receiver in the league, Samford's Kelvin McKnight, is 5'9. Honestly, the only returning receiver I saw last year that fits the mold of a big, fast, tall, rangy WR that will cause shorter DBs a lot of trouble plays for Furman (Cam Burnette). We don't have to worry about him.

We've also got a little bit of an oddity at the FCS level in that we have big corners. Brad Lemons is 6'3. Quan Weems is 6'1. Darius Kearse is 5'10. You'll be hard pressed to find many FCS teams that will have have WR corps bigger than those guys.
 #1800  by Jasper
 Thu May 17, 2018 4:19 pm
By way, I hear that Perryman is going to move inside to the “mike “ LB. With all the experience we have now, the DC has a lot of options.
 #1803  by FUBeAR
 Thu May 17, 2018 9:40 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 3:58 pm
Honestly, the only returning receiver I saw last year that fits the mold of a big, fast, tall, rangy WR that will cause shorter DBs a lot of trouble plays for Furman (Cam Burnette). We don't have to worry about him.
C’mon Jackal, I get being a homer, but you are sellin’ the whole SoCon short with that assessment. All of the following 4 big, tall, fast, rangy WR’s have impressed me:

Chatt - Bingo Morton 6-2/215
Chatt - Wil Young 6-3/215
ETSU - Drake Powell 6-2/200
Mercer - Marquise Irvin 6-2/215 (on some All SoCon Team each of his 1st 3 years. Hard to say he ain’t a ‘troublesome’ returning WR)

2 more that I’ve heard are worth watching...
Mercer - David Durden 6-2/200 - signed w/Mercer in 2017, but played pro baseball last year. Understand he was the fastest player in the Red Sox org. & VERY impressive this Spring
Mercer - Demond Ellison 6-3/212 - only a true FR, but played on an 0-10 Team his Sr. Year. May have been a bit buried in recruiting due to that. Raw, but very talented.

If Ellison polishes up fast, with those other 2 & 6-1 Kelby Brock & 6-0 Tucker Cannon, who have both played a lot over the past 2 years, Mercer should be able to create some matchup issues for those SoCon Teams not blessed with 6-3 & 6-1 CB’s.
gofurman liked this
 #1804  by The Jackal
 Fri May 18, 2018 6:07 am
I had forgotten Irvin. He’s perhaps the only guy I put in Burnette’s cataegory. Irvin will be an interesting guy to follow as Mercer graduated their other two top pass catchers. I think the Bears had the top receiving corps in the league last year, but I’m interested to see how Irvin does without those other two talented WRs to take the pressure off.

The other guys I was not particularly impressed with. Sure, they are tall, but they didn’t exactly light the world on fire. Bingo Morton averaged under 10 yards a catch. Now, some of that is because the UTC offense was awful.

I don’t know anything about your other guys. As noted, Mercer is going to have to fill some big shoes at receiver, so there’s playing time availble. I’m always skeptical about guys that played for winless football teams, though.
 #1806  by The Jackal
 Fri May 18, 2018 8:38 am
Jasper wrote:
By way, I hear that Perryman is going to move inside to the “mike “ LB. With all the experience we have now, the DC has a lot of options.
Perryman seems like a logical choice as well. He has a good build for an SLB - tall, rangy, and fast with a high motor.

Granted, that may leave us a little thin at OLB with the presumed loss of Joe Farrar, but there are two logical starters at those positions (Washington and Willis). Adrian Hope has loads of potential. That would also be a logical landing spot for one of our surplus safeties.
 #1807  by Jasper
 Fri May 18, 2018 10:19 am
The Jackal wrote:
Jasper wrote:
Perryman seems like a logical choice as well. He has a good build for an SLB - tall, rangy, and fast with a high motor.

Granted, that may leave us a little thin at OLB with the presumed loss of Joe Farrar, but there are two logical starters at those positions (Washington and Willis). Adrian Hope has loads of potential. That would also be a logical landing spot for one of our surplus safeties.
As of right now, you are right about Joe Farrar not being back. Not sure of the reason since he had a year of eligibility remaining. Too bad - kid was really coming on. Lots of football players on campus for Maymester and pumping iron. It sure looks like the team is fulfilling CCH's goal of "getting bigger and stronger". Jordon Harris, who moved over to the O line, looks like he could fill one side of the line by himself. :D - 6'4", a lean 285 lbs. and about two axe handles wide in the shoulders. Hope he's a fast learner.
 #1812  by The Jackal
 Fri May 18, 2018 1:49 pm
Jasper wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 10:19 am
The Jackal wrote:
Jasper wrote:

As of right now, you are right about Joe Farrar not being back. Not sure of the reason since he had a year of eligibility remaining. Too bad - kid was really coming on. Lots of football players on campus for Maymester and pumping iron. It sure looks like the team is fulfilling CCH's goal of "getting bigger and stronger". Jordon Harris, who moved over to the O line, looks like he could fill one side of the line by himself. :D - 6'4", a lean 285 lbs. and about two axe handles wide in the shoulders. Hope he's a fast learner.
Jordan Harris, you may recall, was an OT in high school. https://www.hudl.com/video/3/2293616/57 ... 12f86b6607

He was recruited both as a DT and OL off a very good Pace Academy team. I believe he and former Paladin Tim Coleman were bookend OTs on that state title team.

In any event, Furman signed him as a defensive lineman, but he played offensive line in high school and has now spent the off season there. I expect he'll be fine.
Jasper liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.