• Way too early SoCon picks 18-19

#1728  by furman88
 Tue May 08, 2018 9:35 pm
You can call me Ray, or you can call me Jay, or you can call me Johnny or you can call me Sonny, or you can call me RayJay, or you can call me RJ.....but....ya doesn't have to call me Johnson.
Jasper liked this
 #1730  by tya1
 Wed May 09, 2018 12:47 am
fufanatic wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 10:23 am
tya1 wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:49 pm
Sad news from Western Carolina - former coach Larry Hunter is in serious condition after suffering a massive stroke over the weekend.

Samford's Christen Cunningham has announced he is transferring to Louisville.
Can someone explain to me how Samford won 10 games this year but have players transferring to Louisville, NC State and Arizona? Sounds like they should have been a juggernaut and not an awful mid-major team.
Three of the Chattanooga transfers have decided - Rodney Chatman is going to Dayton, Nat Dixon to SMU, and Makale Foreman to Stony Brook. Stony Brook is D1 but not a move up but Dayton and SMU would be considered so, especially considering Chattanooga's last place finish this year.
 #1782  by tya1
 Wed May 16, 2018 9:27 am
Mercer has signed 6'10 235 Maciej Bender who is transferring from West Virginia. He will have two years of eligibility. I assume he will redshirt this coming season. Hoffman likes them tall. There are now five players 6'10" or taller listed on their roster at Verbal Commits although I suspect they all won't be there next season.

Chattanooga also has a transfer signed - A. J. Caldwell, 6'4" guard, who is leaving South Alabama after one year. Caldwell's brother is a QB on the Mocs' football team.
James Lewis, Jr., who left UT-C, has transferred to Appalachian State.

Mike Amius, who started at center for Western Carolina, is leaving school for a try at pro ball.

Triston Chambers has signed with UA-Huntsville after leaving Samford.
 #1795  by lawdog
 Thu May 17, 2018 11:47 am
That would be a big surprise. It would be hard to blame him however; Magee is a really talented and accomplished player whom no-one outworks, but too often players at this level are not taken seriously. If given the right opportunity he undoubtedly can make it in the league.
 #1796  by soconjohn
 Thu May 17, 2018 12:02 pm
I hope it’s not true but you’re right...I wouldn’t blame him...he’s no doubt a great player and I hope he stays at Wofford mainly because it would give the SoCon some pretty cool publicity at the next level.
 #1799  by Monday
 Thu May 17, 2018 2:59 pm
Magee's not Steph Curry but does anyone remember how Curry's star power helped the SoCon overall? Was it a boost for everyone's recruitment? Or Did it just help Davidson and no one else?
 #1802  by Flagman
 Thu May 17, 2018 7:28 pm
Monday wrote:
Magee's not Steph Curry but does anyone remember how Curry's star power helped the SoCon overall? Was it a boost for everyone's recruitment? Or Did it just help Davidson and no one else?
Davidson
 #1805  by paladinfan12
 Fri May 18, 2018 8:06 am
Flagman wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 7:28 pm
Monday wrote:
Davidson
Except when Davidson came to Timmons one Saturday with Curry and packed the house. I've never seen the place fuller.
 #1809  by soconjohn
 Fri May 18, 2018 11:49 am
Maybe it didn’t help...Davidson left shortly thereafter...Kevin Martin at Western was cool...maybe I just like knowing that the SoCon is developing guys to get the league...it would certainly help our guys getting a second look
From NBA scouts but maybe not as much publicity wise.
 #1810  by soconjohn
 Fri May 18, 2018 11:52 am
And I wish Fletcher well in whatever he decides to do...he’s a nice guy and seems to be very humble and has a tremendous work ethic...I wish him the best.
 #1894  by tya1
 Fri May 25, 2018 10:55 pm
Odd recruiting twist. Kevon Tucker, 6'4" shooting guard/wing from Georgia has signed with ETSU. He hit over 43% of his three point shots in junior college this season. The twist - Tucker originally signed with Wofford two years ago. He was on the team as a freshman but was a bust. He played in only 15 games and scored a total of 12 points all season, and transferred out after one season. This despite being the most highly recruited player in that freshman class. Tucker had at least 15 reported offers including from Middle Tenn. State, Houston, Murray State, Florida Gulf Coast, UNC-Wilmington, and Georgia State.

You can probably rely on motivated performances against Wofford from Tucker. And I don't suppose there is an unspoken motivation for ETSU coach Forbes. Wofford's Young has made some disparaging comments about Forbes recently. If Tucker becomes a good player for Forbes after failing for Young that would be a bit of quiet revenge for Forbes.
 #1895  by lawdog
 Sat May 26, 2018 12:55 pm
Early on Tucker showed significantly more promise athletically than academically. Glad to see he got through JC ok and suspect he will do well back in the SoCon.
 #1904  by MNORM
 Tue May 29, 2018 9:46 am
Jon Rothstein

Verified account

@JonRothstein
Follow Follow @JonRothstein

Fletcher Magee tells me he's returning to Wofford next season. Entered 2018 NBA Draft without an agent.

6:17 PM - 25 May 2018

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by cavedweller2

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:42 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.