• #14 Furman @ Samford Oct. 5th

#17702  by Flagman
 Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:15 pm
We usually have a really good fan following in Birmingham. I hope to see a great Furman crowd there.
 #17706  by purplehorse
 Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:37 am
We have lost 6 of our last 8 games to Sammy and 3 in a row. As I remember in 2017 they sort of man-handled us in the trenches. We thought we had a great running game but they sort of shut that down as did Wofford two weeks later in the playoffs. So we will see if we are better in the trenches.

2009-Furman 26-24 GREENVILLE

2010-Furman 27-10

2011-Samford 26-21 GREENVILLE

2012-Samford 24-21

2013-Furman 35-17 GREENVILLE

2014-Samford 44-0 GREENVILLE

2015-Furman 20-17

2016-Samford 38-21 GREENVILLE

2017-Samford 26-20

2018-Samford-38-25-GREENVILLE
 #17736  by gofurman
 Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:35 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:37 am
We have lost 6 of our last 8 games to Sammy and 3 in a row. As I remember in 2017 they sort of man-handled us in the trenches. We thought we had a great running game but they sort of shut that down as did Wofford two weeks later in the playoffs. So we will see if we are better in the trenches.

2009-Furman 26-24 GREENVILLE

2010-Furman 27-10

2011-Samford 26-21 GREENVILLE

2012-Samford 24-21

2013-Furman 35-17 GREENVILLE

2014-Samford 44-0 GREENVILLE

2015-Furman 20-17

2016-Samford 38-21 GREENVILLE

2017-Samford 26-20

2018-Samford-38-25-GREENVILLE
good summary - I recall 2017 w Hendrix making us so much better but we couldnt yet run of Samford and Woff w the better DL.

2018 we lost Roberts v Samford mid-game and that was tough as we led briefly but then had some learning mistakes w new QB etc.

IF I am not mistaken (I AM OFTEN WRONG) this is the only team Hendrix has not beaten? One other he has a losing record to. Does this look right to ya'll?
CH is
3-0 v Mercer.
2-1 vs ETSU.
2-0 vs Western
2-0 vs VMI
2-0 vs Chatt
2-0 vs Cit

---
1-2 vs Wofford bc of playoff loss there. (that's the only other team where Hendrix has a losing record)
0-2 vs Samford

Interesting in the sense that while fans all recall that bad loss to ETSU last year, Samford is the team CH hasn't beaten' yet. yet !

overall that is an awesome list CH is compiling v SoCon at FU !!! so impressive for just 3 years
 #17742  by The Jackal
 Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:02 pm
I've watched Samford play a few times, and these are a few observations.

Offensively, you know what you are going to get - single back with 4 or 5 wide. They will throw it a bunch and continue to try to force a running game. The defense is always looking for the big play.

Most of the passing game goes through smaller/quicker wide receivers. They have also started utilizing the TE position more this season than in years past.

I don't know who will get the nod at QB, but you will not confuse either Oladokun or Welch for Devlin Hodges. Hodges completed right at 70% of his passes - Oladokun is at 63% and Welch is 55%. Both have been picked 4 timesand are throwing interceptions about double the rate Hodges did. Oladokun, at full speed, is a better runner and has a game similar to Grainger. Welch is not quite as agile, but is a perfectly capable runner in open space.

They are prone to turn it over. I believe they are -8 in turnover margin

Defensively, they have been a bit of a mess. They'd be the league's worst unit except for the always exceptionally abysmal play by Western Carolina on that side of the ball.

They have some athletes, however, and, from what I can see, don't rotate a lot of players in their front seven.

Notably, their defense has a really hard time getting off the field. They are the league's worst third down defense and have been on the field roughly 100 more plays this season than their offense. You can wear them down, as they really seemed to fade down the stretch against YSU and Tennessee Tech.

To be perfectly honest, when you look at their peripheral stats, it feels like they are playing with house money.
Affirm, FUKA61, DeepPurple and 1 others liked this
 #17744  by gofurman
 Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:07 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:02 pm
I've watched Samford play a few times, and these are a few observations.

Offensively, you know what you are going to get - single back with 4 or 5 wide. They will throw it a bunch and continue to try to force a running game. The defense is always looking for the big play.

Most of the passing game goes through smaller/quicker wide receivers. They have also started utilizing the TE position more this season than in years past.

I don't know who will get the nod at QB, but you will not confuse either Oladokun or Welch for Devlin Hodges. Hodges completed right at 70% of his passes - Oladokun is at 63% and Welch is 55%. Both have been picked 4 timesand are throwing interceptions about double the rate Hodges did. Oladokun, at full speed, is a better runner and has a game similar to Grainger. Welch is not quite as agile, but is a perfectly capable runner in open space.

They are prone to turn it over. I believe they are -8 in turnover margin

Defensively, they have been a bit of a mess. They'd be the league's worst unit except for the always exceptionally abysmal play by Western Carolina on that side of the ball.

They have some athletes, however, and, from what I can see, don't rotate a lot of players in their front seven.

Notably, their defense has a really hard time getting off the field. They are the league's worst third down defense and have been on the field roughly 100 more plays this season than their offense. You can wear them down, as they really seemed to fade down the stretch against YSU and Tennessee Tech.

To be perfectly honest, when you look at their peripheral stats, it feels like they are playing with house money.
Great notes Jackal ! really appreciate that scouting! I would rather face Welch at QB just bc a less mobile QB helps the D.
 #17745  by The Jackal
 Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:16 pm
As for Furman, we need to clean up the execution issues from the ETSU game.

I'm really interested to see what we do defensively. When you watch the Samford/YSU game, you can see that the Penguins spent a lot of time in defensive looks with 5+ defensive backs.

With Weems back, this is the first time in my memory that Furman is rotating 5-6 CBs into the game. We've never played Samford with this sort of personnel group.

Furman, in obvious passing downs this year, has used sub packages that we really have not seen in previous years.

Take this big sack by Dru Seabrook on 3rd and 9.

Check out the personnel. Three defensive linemen (two pass rushers - Seabrook and Hope). The two linebackers are SPURS, Willis and Dae'One Wilkins. There are two safeties and, I think, four CBs (Chizik, Trapp, Blackshear, and one other out of the screen on the top, probably Weems (unless we were playing with 10 men)). Watch Wilkins drop like his hair was on fire into the deep third zone.

I'd fully expect against a spread and throw team like Samford, that we will see a lot of sub packages like this one - maybe primarily this sort of thing. YSU really stifled Samford with this. Not many SoCon teams can run a defense with 7 or 8 guys at one time that can cover. Furman can.
FUKA61, Bootie liked this
 #17768  by apaladin
 Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:45 am
I really don't think you can look at Sammy's first 2 games that are a month old and think they haven't improved any since then. Remember last year we were 0-3 and were a much better team in week 6. I think Sammy is a much better team now than they were at the start of the season.