• Furman-VPI Game Thread

#16919  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:04 pm
FU3 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:25 pm
So much to like about this team. Braden Gilby gets his first start and leads team in tackles. Freshman D-backs were making plays all over the field. Our play calling was very vanilla today, cant recall a run play where we attacked the edge.I believe we will see a much more dynamic O game plan for next week.
It's not so much vanilla, but you can only do what you can do. VT's defensive front is fast and aggressive. They didn't need to bring extra guys and could afford to drop extra players into coverage.

We won't see a defense like theirs again. 100% you'll see the offense open up next week.
 #16924  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:26 pm
FUwolfpacker wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:36 pm
FU3 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:25 pm
So much to like about this team. Braden Gilby gets his first start and leads team in tackles. Freshman D-backs were making plays all over the field. Our play calling was very vanilla today, cant recall a run play where we attacked the edge.I believe we will see a much more dynamic O game plan for next week.
I feel like I remember us attacking the edge with the option at least a few times. Maybe not enough though. VT did a good job taking away the edge most of the time. The one time they completely lost, Grainger scored.

The play calling did seem conservative at times, but I think that was at least, in part, due to VT just being better. We tried to hit the deep ball several times, but VT either had it covered or ran through our line. Hard to know how "vanilla" it was when we didn't event get a chance to make a play when we dialed up a deep ball. Grainger didn't force the issue if it wasn't there. One the one INT he thought he had Gordon wide open up the middle, but the far side corner came off his guy early and was there over the top. One of those plays where when he let it go he probably thought the worse thing that was going to happen would be an incomplete pass over the top. Was a good play by the VT corner.
agree w wolfpacker ( not that my thoughts matter LOL) but I think VT had a lot to do w our playcalling. ONE - every time we tried to take a few seconds they were all over Grainger and he did get knicked up. I was getting worried for him. that DL was running by our OL. Credit to VT on the DL. Every time Grainger backed up (even with all our runs) there were guys surrounding him. VT DL was way better than GSU DL.

we tried the edge some but again they were popping us and Grainger. I am sure we always play to win but I almost wondered if we were staying off the plays that could get us hit nasty. VT just ran through our OL so we had to run the middle to deflect pass rush and can't go to edge when they are penetrating like that - have to hit a hole fast north south.

credit to VT D just a great D - we won't see that again. Credit to our D w lots of young guys playing !!!
 #16986  by apaladin
 Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:18 am
Just scanned thru the VPI message board and if you think we are bad at whining and bitching you ain't seen nothing yet. Hope you are not sensitive to strong language. To their credit they all said it was a horrible call or BS, or F****** Up call on the onsides kick.
 #16988  by Jasper
 Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:42 am
apaladin wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:18 am
Just scanned thru the VPI message board and if you think we are bad at whining and bitching you ain't seen nothing yet. Hope you are not sensitive to strong language. To their credit they all said it was a horrible call or BS, or F****** Up call on the onsides kick.
After reading this thread thru, I will put our whining and bitching up against anyone. Throw in the conspiracy theories and we may be nationally ranked in the W & B category. Moderators might think of setting up a separate forum even. :)
FUwolfpacker liked this
 #16993  by FUpaladin08
 Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:41 am
My take on the insides kick: Seems to me the question is if the Furman player was blocking or if the VT player engaged the contact. Certainly the new rule is not about touching a player, rather blocking their access to field the ball. With no flag on the field, no clear intent to block access to the ball, this should have been left as called on the field.

While I wish we’d won these last two games, it still gives me hope about our ability to win in the SoCon and make a playoff run. I would compare GSU and VT to the top tier of FCS; not as good as NDSU and JMU, but right there in the top 5 or 10. If we lose to these guys by a combined 13 points, I’m looking forward to what we can do down the stretch this year.

Still no Bell at wr, Grainger developing in pressure situations, and the secondary seems to be in a shuffle and still finding an identity. Playing these close games with very talented teams will pay dividends for the young players when we get into close games the rest of the season.

I’m pumped. The real season starts with Mercer. Win the SoCon.
Chuckles, FUKA61, dornb liked this
 #16999  by AstroDin
 Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:40 am
FUpaladin08 wrote:
My take on the insides kick: Seems to me the question is if the Furman player was blocking or if the VT player engaged the contact. Certainly the new rule is not about touching a player, rather blocking their access to field the ball. With no flag on the field, no clear intent to block access to the ball, this should have been left as called on the field.

While I wish we’d won these last two games, it still gives me hope about our ability to win in the SoCon and make a playoff run. I would compare GSU and VT to the top tier of FCS; not as good as NDSU and JMU, but right there in the top 5 or 10. If we lose to these guys by a combined 13 points, I’m looking forward to what we can do down the stretch this year.

Still no Bell at wr, Grainger developing in pressure situations, and the secondary seems to be in a shuffle and still finding an identity. Playing these close games with very talented teams will pay dividends for the young players when we get into close games the rest of the season.

I agree with all said - we are a team nowhere near it's playing potential. The Furman coaches rolled some big dice on defensive personnel and I'd say the freshmen performed.

Gilby 12 tackles, a tackle for loss (I thought it was a sac) one forced fumble
Ryan 6 tackles, 1 pass breakup
Blackshear 3 tackles, 1 interception
Chizik 3 tackles, 1 sack
FUKA61, dornb liked this
 #17011  by gofurman
 Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:40 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:40 am
FUpaladin08 wrote:

I agree with all said - we are a team nowhere near it's playing potential. The Furman coaches rolled some big dice on defensive personnel and I'd say the freshmen performed.

Gilby 12 tackles, a tackle for loss (I thought it was a sac) one forced fumble
Ryan 6 tackles, 1 pass breakup
Blackshear 3 tackles, 1 interception
Chizik 3 tackles, 1 sack
I have an injury fetish matched almost by Astro’s Freshman fetish (and recruiting :D ). I don’t stalk twitter for injuries... yet LOL
 #17012  by gofurman
 Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:44 pm
FUpaladin08 wrote:

Fu 08., They said we probably aren’t going to see Bell this year - redshirting I think. I hate that as he is a speedster and we honestly probably lose to Western last year without him that’s how important he was (returned a KO for TD and a great run after catch for TD in that game where we held on to win in a shootout). He was preseason all SoCon special team return guy. IHope he is back for great things next year. To that point I hope we develop another goto recvr. Gordon is awesome but would lov someone else really really steps up - our other guys are good just all about even right now? Hope to see Shiflett soon. Have been told he’s big and fast
FUpaladin08 liked this