• FBS vs. FCS football is rigged

#16937  by Paladin91
 Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:11 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:03 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:57 pm
Unfortunately, the call made was the right one if one reads the rule book on kickoffs.

No Team A player may block an opponent until Team A is eligible to touch a free-kicked ball.

In our case, the block was initiated about when the ball hit the 9-yard mark. It needs to travel 10 yards before engagement can be made with Team B.
My issue is that if the referees want to interpret each rule at its most technical, football will become unwatchable.
No doubt about that, but a similar play happened to Baylor vs WVU a couple of yrs ago. However, I imagine most onside kick plays like this will be reviewed within 2 min of ending the game.
 #16939  by paladinduece
 Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:19 pm
I think the key word here is “block”. Contact was made just as much by the receiving team as Furman. He was not making a play on the ball and was outside of an area where he could. He did not try and Block the V Tech player it was a bump and I went and watched other onsides from today and this year, and you could call it on every one of them if contact means block. Most of them it was far more contact than in our game. The call was horrible and complete BS. I don’t see how that could happen in any universe. :oops:
Chuckles, QCGlue liked this
 #16941  by MidlandsPaladin
 Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:23 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Paladin91 wrote:
Unfortunately, the call made was the right one if one reads the rule book on kickoffs.

No Team A player may block an opponent until Team A is eligible to touch a free-kicked ball.

In our case, the block was initiated about when the ball hit the 9-yard mark. It needs to travel 10 yards before engagement can be made with Team B.
My issue is that if the referees want to interpret each rule at its most technical, football will become unwatchable.
My issue is that if it is so cut and dry, let the refs call it on the field without going to replay.
 #16944  by FurmAlum
 Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:28 pm
DungeonRealm, Could you post that highlight reel of the whole game again? I was watching it before we went out to dinner but now I can't find it.

Couldn't watch game. Xfinity doesn't have ACC network.

Thanks
 #16947  by DungeonRealm
 Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:51 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:11 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Paladin91 wrote:

No doubt about that, but a similar play happened to Baylor vs WVU a couple of yrs ago. However, I imagine most onside kick plays like this will be reviewed within 2 min of ending the game.

The MAX problem here is if the teams were reversed I can flat out guarantee you the refs would not have even done a review for FURMAN!

Furman has never had a call overturned against an FBS team!!!

Its absurd
 #16948  by DungeonRealm
 Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:52 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:28 pm
DungeonRealm, Could you post that highlight reel of the whole game again? I was watching it before we went out to dinner but now I can't find it.

Couldn't watch game. Xfinity doesn't have ACC network.

Thanks

#16955  by CharlieFU
 Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:58 pm
Where do I start? Yes, the call was bad. A conspiracy? Intentionally calling it the other way? And the Sandy Hook school shooting was all a figment of our imagination.

Enjoy the dang game for what it is. Good grief!
Bootie, Jasper, Horse and 1 others liked this
 #16970  by DungeonRealm
 Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:53 pm
CharlieFU wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:58 pm
Where do I start? Yes, the call was bad. A conspiracy? Intentionally calling it the other way? And the Sandy Hook school shooting was all a figment of our imagination.

Enjoy the dang game for what it is. Good grief!

All good in theory, but you are wrong, because Furman would 100% have never even gotten that review or overturn, which is the MAJOR BIASED problem
 #17000  by Horse
 Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:46 am
Wow it's amazing how you Dr are so much more qualified to wear the striped shirt. Please God give this guy one tiny flaw
 #17001  by DungeonRealm
 Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:58 am
Horse wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:46 am
Wow it's amazing how you Dr are so much more qualified to wear the striped shirt. Please God give this guy one tiny flaw

Don't come at me, either speak about the game or keep your mouth closed Sir
 #17002  by DungeonRealm
 Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:02 am
apaladin wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:01 pm
A good question is why was the play reviewed in the first place, There was no reason to review it.

Right, would have been nice if they buzzed down to review that huge missed pass interference on Deluca when we were leading 14-3 in the third quarter and driving :idea:
Yadkin, QCGlue liked this
 #17004  by DungeonRealm
 Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:13 am
For the onside kick, apparently what we were suppose to do is either run the opposite direction on the field or if a VA Tech player approached us on the play we were suppose to Stop, Drop and Roll, sure beats the heck out of me
QCGlue liked this
 #17005  by palafan
 Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:27 am
furpep wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:27 pm
I did not watch the game but the replay was clear that there was contact within the 10-yard area. Now I am not an expert on these sorts of rules and the use of video replay, but is it truly permissible to flag a player for a penalty when the review is not about the penalty? Once you let video replay replace the eyes on the ground you have a real mess. It appears this happens in all sports.
By the way, if you really don’t want to watch FBS or other sports, just cut the cord! I have not watched a game in 4 years other than the MLB Baseball package I purchase. Why get upset watching!
It’s only a penalty if the contact impedes the receiving team player from getting to the ball. The ball was long past that player and he wouldn’t have a chance at that ball ever.
QCGlue and 1 others liked this
 #17006  by apaladin
 Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:36 am
palafan wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:27 am
furpep wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:27 pm
I did not watch the game but the replay was clear that there was contact within the 10-yard area. Now I am not an expert on these sorts of rules and the use of video replay, but is it truly permissible to flag a player for a penalty when the review is not about the penalty? Once you let video replay replace the eyes on the ground you have a real mess. It appears this happens in all sports.
By the way, if you really don’t want to watch FBS or other sports, just cut the cord! I have not watched a game in 4 years other than the MLB Baseball package I purchase. Why get upset watching!
It’s only a penalty if the contact impedes the receiving team player from getting to the ball. The ball was long past that player and he wouldn’t have a chance at that ball ever.
There was no flag thrown, I did not think you could go to replay and then call a penalty that was not called on the field. I have never seen that done before.
Paladin575, QCGlue liked this