• Furman-VPI Game Thread

#16885  by FUwolfpacker
 Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:43 pm
palafan wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:39 pm
By the rule book, that’s only a penalty if it interferes with the receiving team player’s ability to get the ball. That guy wouldn’t have been close to getting the ball in any lifetime.
Exactly. 23's first move is inside AWAY from the direction the ball is going. We definitely made contact on that guy but he never even remotely makes a move towards recovering the ball.

For those that didn't see the kick, Atkins layed the ball almost on it's side with the point toward VT. The kick goes straight for 5 yards then takes a seriously hard left turn behind the first wave of VT. It was an amazing onside kick.
Last edited by FUwolfpacker on Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dornb, QCGlue liked this
 #16886  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:46 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:35 pm
Great first half but why not push at the end of the half? We were in great field position. Now we give VPI a chance to regroup. Had them on the ropes!!
THIS IS RIGHT. Everyone seems to be on board here. At least throw for end zone - playing scared is playing to lose. We played scared at end of half. My relatives watched and were so impressed w us but shocked we didn't at least throw for endzone at half - odds of TD 10%odds of INT 5%.. odds of INT returned for TD 1%. IF we are scared of a 1% play then why even try? I can't get over this. The fumble call at end of game is much easier to overlook - why? it is out of our control. i cannot believe we didn't do something w field position at end of half.
paladinduece liked this
 #16887  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:48 pm
gman wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:39 pm
We had the ball on the 50 yard with 1:30 left and 2 timeouts. I hope we don’t stay that conservative on the opening possession of the 2nd half.
right on g'. I know we think we are too consaervative w so many inside runs but they are KILLIN Grainger and hitting him a lot. So I have no problem w all the runs. Have to delay the pass rush - they are killing our OL. I still don't undertand the conservative play at end of half though. just try something
 #16888  by FUwolfpacker
 Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:49 pm
gofurman wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Great first half but why not push at the end of the half? We were in great field position. Now we give VPI a chance to regroup. Had them on the ropes!!
THIS IS RIGHT. Everyone seems to be on board here. At least throw for end zone - playing scared is playing to lose. We played scared at end of half. My relatives watched and were so impressed w us but shocked we didn't at least throw for endzone at half - odds of TD 10%odds of INT 5%.. odds of INT returned for TD 1%. IF we are scared of a 1% play then why even try? I can't get over this. The fumble call at end of game is much easier to overlook - why? it is out of our control. i cannot believe we didn't do something w field position at end of half.
Is everyone forgetting that Armstrong dropped a pass BEHIND 2 VT defenders. If he catches that he almost assuredly gets down inside the 30. Yes, Furman should have probably been more aggressive after that, but we had the play to make an attempt to get points at the end of the half and we just didn't convert. It's not like we ran 3 QB sneaks.
dornb, Affirm, FUpaladin08 liked this
 #16889  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:50 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:19 pm
paladinduece wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:15 pm
Good stop now move the ball. Gilby is having a game and these announcers are beyond bad.

They actually are trash indeed

That was an obvious Pass interference not called to swing momentum early in 3rd quarter and Wynn's butt was down on the garbage fumble review, yet these announcers have no clue, typical FBS crap
REALM you are a great fan but that was a fumble by WYnn unfortunately. I am on TV and he was on top of player. Fumble is right.
din23 liked this
 #16891  by DungeonRealm
 Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:54 pm
gofurman wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
paladinduece wrote:
Good stop now move the ball. Gilby is having a game and these announcers are beyond bad.

That was an obvious Pass interference not called to swing momentum early in 3rd quarter and Wynn's butt was down on the garbage fumble review, yet these announcers have no clue, typical FBS crap
REALM you are a great fan but that was a fumble by WYnn unfortunately. I am on TV and he was on top of player. Fumble is right.

Nope! His butt hit the ground 100%
 #16895  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:06 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
gofurman wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
paladinduece wrote:

I disagree. watched it a few time. anyway. BUT a great team could overcome that - well, I grant this is FBS. Quit worrying about refs and let's control what we can.. like conservative play calls at end of first half .. dropped pass on last drive of first half that if caught is probably a TD as he was behind both defenders. get that and it's 21-3 and we probably win.
 #16896  by DungeonRealm
 Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:08 pm
gofurman wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:06 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
gofurman wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
paladinduece wrote:

I disagree. watched it a few time. anyway. BUT a great team could overcome that - well, I grant this is FBS. Quit worrying about refs and let's control what we can.. like conservative play calls at end of first half .. dropped pass on last drive of first half that if caught is probably a TD as he was behind both defenders. get that and it's 21-3 and we probably win.

Watched it several times and yeah his butt hit the ground, he was down, not surprised refs screwed us over for the past 2 weeks, good riddance to the FBS
 #16897  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:09 pm
FUwolfpacker wrote:
gofurman wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Is everyone forgetting that Armstrong dropped a pass BEHIND 2 VT defenders. If he catches that he almost assuredly gets down inside the 30. Yes, Furman should have probably been more aggressive after that, but we had the play to make an attempt to get points at the end of the half and we just didn't convert. It's not like we ran 3 QB sneaks.
THIS. FUWOLFPACKER is right on !!!!!!! throw right in receivers arms - perfgect throw!!!. It's like the play where GSU last week was idiots and threw to the five yard line and we didn't tackle on last play of first half... or they get 0 points at end of first half. everyone gets caught on refs and other stuff and forgets what we missed. Make that tackle last week.. make that catch this week we may win
Affirm liked this
 #16902  by FU3
 Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:25 pm
So much to like about this team. Braden Gilby gets his first start and leads team in tackles. Freshman D-backs were making plays all over the field. Our play calling was very vanilla today, cant recall a run play where we attacked the edge.I believe we will see a much more dynamic O game plan for next week.
dornb liked this
 #16905  by Paladin91
 Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:27 pm
gofurman wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:09 pm
FUwolfpacker wrote:
gofurman wrote:
apaladin wrote:
THIS. FUWOLFPACKER is right on !!!!!!! throw right in receivers arms - perfgect throw!!!. It's like the play where GSU last week was idiots and threw to the five yard line and we didn't tackle on last play of first half... or they get 0 points at end of first half. everyone gets caught on refs and other stuff and forgets what we missed. Make that tackle last week.. make that catch this week we may win
We still had two timeouts in the last drive of the first half, time to run some more effective plays.
 #16908  by FUwolfpacker
 Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:36 pm
FU3 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:25 pm
So much to like about this team. Braden Gilby gets his first start and leads team in tackles. Freshman D-backs were making plays all over the field. Our play calling was very vanilla today, cant recall a run play where we attacked the edge.I believe we will see a much more dynamic O game plan for next week.
I feel like I remember us attacking the edge with the option at least a few times. Maybe not enough though. VT did a good job taking away the edge most of the time. The one time they completely lost, Grainger scored.

The play calling did seem conservative at times, but I think that was at least, in part, due to VT just being better. We tried to hit the deep ball several times, but VT either had it covered or ran through our line. Hard to know how "vanilla" it was when we didn't event get a chance to make a play when we dialed up a deep ball. Grainger didn't force the issue if it wasn't there. One the one INT he thought he had Gordon wide open up the middle, but the far side corner came off his guy early and was there over the top. One of those plays where when he let it go he probably thought the worse thing that was going to happen would be an incomplete pass over the top. Was a good play by the VT corner.
 #16909  by furpop16
 Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:37 pm
gman wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:42 pm
Va. Tech fans know we got screwed too. https://247sports.com/college/virginia- ... 3/?page=44
Best post by ATLHokie09:
Such a bad look. We pay a team to come play us, and have to ***** them over on a completely ridiculous call which just makes us look even worse. Could a saved that money towards a buyout... wow
QCGlue liked this
 #16913  by Jasper
 Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:11 pm
Good got that VT poster. The refs should be ashamed of themselves. This review nonsense is ruining football. This is a perfect example of technology gone mad. They INTERFERED WITH a game, not enhanced it.
dornb, QCGlue liked this