• Furman-VPI Game Thread

#16858  by FUBeAR
 Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:02 pm
BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES! BASTAGES!
sluggo, dornb liked this
 #16859  by FUwolfpacker
I'm not a ref basher, but that was one of the worst overturns I think I've ever seen. Very liberal use of the term "blocking" against Wilkins. Man, that's a tough one.
dornb liked this
 #16861  by I-85 Paladin
 Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:06 pm
Listening on radio (as I refuse to give money to ACC) and based on the announcers and twitter, sounds like we got robbed off an opp at the end but this is a win to me.
 #16863  by mathprofhiker
 Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:08 pm
Yep, we got homered. Yet we still gave VPI all they could handle. Great effort today from our guys.
dornb liked this
 #16864  by din23
 Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:13 pm
FUwolfpacker wrote:
I'm not a ref basher, but that was one of the worst overturns I think I've ever seen. Very liberal use of the term "blocking" against Wilkins. Man, that's a tough one.
My thoughts exactly. I'm not sure why it was even reviewable to begin with, and to make that reversal - insanity.
dornb liked this
 #16866  by FUwolfpacker
 Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:15 pm
So, they called Wilkins (?) for blocking a VT guy from trying to recover the fumble before the ball crossed 10 yards which supposedly makes it an "illegal recovery." Looked to me that Wilkins was just running straight downfield and the VT initiated contact. Didn't see the FU player make any attempt to "block" anyone. I didn't see it, but maybe I'm just seeing it through purple tinted glasses.

A big difference this week is that Furman didn't hit any of the big plays. They had a couple of chances. The drop Armstrong near the end of the half would have almost assured us 3 points because he was behind both the VT guys there. The Deluca one on the potential PI would have been big as well. VT's D played very well the second half. The few times we tried to be aggressive, VT was ready for it. We may have just faced the best offense and best defense we'll see all year in back to back games. Feel like we performed admirably. Still, bitter pill to swallow at the end there. Would have at least liked to have a chance to tie it up. Feel like we were robbed of the chance.
dornb liked this
 #16867  by FUwolfpacker
 Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:18 pm
din23 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:13 pm
FUwolfpacker wrote:
My thoughts exactly. I'm not sure why it was even reviewable to begin with, and to make that reversal - insanity.
I think it goes back to the times when teams would just have 5 players run full force into the receiving guys to blow them off the ball so the trail guy can recover it. IF that had been what happened I would get it. It absolutely was not. I honestly didn't know it was a rule much less reviewable, but I'm guessing that's where it comes from.
 #16873  by din23
 Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:28 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:24 pm
Lots of positives to build on based on the first two games. I still think we can go 10-2.
Agreed. We are going to win a lot of football games this season. I don't think I've felt that in September in a long time.
dornb liked this
 #16874  by Paladin91
 Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:29 pm
Great effort by the DIns. Much improved defense compared to last week against GSU. Bogus call at the end - was there even a flag called on that play, or was it the review booth that then made the call off the review? Either way, it was garbage.

We needed a couple of big passing plays, which we never got all night. As I said before the season started, our lack of size/speed at the WR position is a concern. Gordon had a nice game as a possession receiver, but we don't have a burner on this team. Still no word on why Dejuan Bell, who has decent speed, is out this year.
 #16882  by palafan
 Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:39 pm
By the rule book, that’s only a penalty if it interferes with the receiving team player’s ability to get the ball. That guy wouldn’t have been close to getting the ball in any lifetime.
 #16883  by Davemeister
 Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:40 pm
Three takeaways from this game:

1) Our O didn't look as good as last week, but VT's D is better than GSU's.

2) Our D looked better than last week, but VT's O isn't as good as GSU's.

3) You can't beat Home cookin'. The PI no-call and the onside kick "violation" were game-breakers.
dornb liked this