• Up Next: at VPI

#16791  by gofurman
 Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:44 pm
transitive propty is too wacky. So BC is getting waxed by a bad Kansas team. BC beat VTech... BUT (I think I mentioned this but anyway) the scores for VT have been heavily influenced by turnover. VT was -4 turnover (just horrible) and barely lost at Boston Col. when you are even in the game at -4 turnover you are better.. way better. -4 turnovers shoulda been a BC rout. VT was -2 turnover vs ODU. Still won by 14. Also, as we note, most ODU points came after VT was up 24-3.. then ODU scored their two TDs and VT pulled away w a last score to make it 31-17

save you my lengthy post: their relative weakness is their OL and their DL though they are still ACC Caliber:
Here's what i have seen in worthless reading. VT OL is young and doesn't run block well. They do pass block pretty well and I could see us frustrated at getting to the QB again. that said, the QB at VT is not near as mobile as the GSU QB so that helps - bc we have to get pressure to help as their WRs are big and fast like GSU. Not an insult to our CBs AT ALL - just FBS receivers are like having 3 Thomas Gordons.. thus last week. If you can't get to the QB it's a long day. VT QB is good but has thrown several picks vs BC. However vs ODU he was super efficient 16/28 2T / 0INT. yeah, that's strong. Senior that's been playing for 4 years. Tough but at least not as mobile I don't think. RBs are bettter than shown vs ODU as the best guy fumbled and they held him out the rest of the game I assume to teach him a lesson. So it was RBs 2 and 3 vs ODU. On D their DL is young like their OL - that's their 2 weakest links. But DL is probably better than the OL. OL may have all Fresh and Soph. They did note (good article I have to say) our NGs and could we handle the weight of their OL there? I get it. GSU wore on our DL though they run a a hurry up. I don't see VT running hurry up and that helps. I also see them running more than passing and that helps too. vs ODU they ran 39 times and passed 28 times. but those were big time efficient passes - 28 passes 16 complete for 270 yards. that's where they overcame their running struggles. But you know VT wants to run. Thus the number of attempts. The OL just isn't great right now. on O ODU was able to get the edge a little and ran for 200 yards on 40 attempts.

what's it all gonna mean..? I don't know. But VT is certainly not the most formidable FBS foe we have played and we will move the ball some. Please no injuries. Get some learnin', and improve ! Win would awesome - I would be over the moon! But let's get to Mercer and run through FCS as CH has us playing great !
 #16792  by apaladin
 Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:54 am
FWIW Kansas beat Boston College 48-24. Think they had lost 40 something road games in a row. This year they beat Indiana St(FCS) on a TD with 2 mins left. They trailed 17-16. Then they lost to Coastal Carolina 12-7 at hime last week.
 #16793  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:23 am
apaladin wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:54 am
FWIW Kansas beat Boston College 48-24. Think they had lost 40 something road games in a row. This year they beat Indiana St(FCS) on a TD with 2 mins left. They trailed 17-16. Then they lost to Coastal Carolina 12-7 at hime last week.
that was sort of my point. Transitive... VT was WAY better than BC but had a -4 turnover ratio
 #16794  by apaladin
 Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:42 am
I think it proves that Clempson has zero competition in the ACC. All they will have to do is show up. At the end of the year they will have won 28 in a row when the playoffs start.
AstroDin liked this
 #16798  by AstroDin
 Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:49 am
GoFurman makes some great points - in the end, this is all about matchups. I think our D-Line performs far better against VPI. On paper, I'm sure VPI is licking their chops at playing against a 255 NG. Furman's listed two-deep is Stokes starting and Hodge at number two. I'm sure we will see three NG's Stokes (278) Hodge (255) Coleman (295). Our D-Line has to practice against a very good O-Line.

I think the big matchup is on the ends can Hope and Seabrook get penetration? A big part of Furman's defense strategy last week was containing Ellington. This week we face Ryan Willis (averaging 2.2 yards per rush) the Dins can't sleep on Willis but I'd think we can pin our ears back some and choose our moments. Last week Blackshear and Chizik played a bunch. Blackshear as Jackal mentioned appears to be one of those players who is always around the ball - an uncanny trait for a redshirt freshman. I think Furman finally gets a pick this week.

I guess the big question is can VPI make Furman one-dimensional? Can they take away the run and force Grainger to air it out? For three-quarters of the game this didn't work out for GSU.
 #16802  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:29 am
AstroDin wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:49 am
GoFurman makes some great points - in the end, this is all about matchups. I think our D-Line performs far better against VPI. On paper, I'm sure VPI is licking their chops at playing against a 255 NG. Furman's listed two-deep is Stokes starting and Hodge at number two. I'm sure we will see three NG's Stokes (278) Hodge (255) Coleman (295). Our D-Line has to practice against a very good O-Line.

I think the big matchup is on the ends can Hope and Seabrook get penetration? A big part of Furman's defense strategy last week was containing Ellington. This week we face Ryan Willis (averaging 2.2 yards per rush) the Dins can't sleep on Willis but I'd think we can pin our ears back some and choose our moments. Last week Blackshear and Chizik played a bunch. Blackshear as Jackal mentioned appears to be one of those players who is always around the ball - an uncanny trait for a redshirt freshman. I think Furman finally gets a pick this week.

I guess the big question is can VPI make Furman one-dimensional? Can they take away the run and force Grainger to air it out? For three-quarters of the game this didn't work out for GSU.
The goals in these games are always the same, from my perspective.

Survive the first half. Stay close. Keep the crowd out of it. Duck haymakers. Force turnovers. Hold onto the ball.

We haven't been particularly good at forcing turnovers so far this season (the two overturned at GSU notwithstanding). You can hang around with these bigger programs if you have a positive turnover ratio, especially with our offense.

Don't get too up. Don't get too down. Stay the course and see what happens in the fourth quarter.
 #16803  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:42 am
Lane Stadium looks like it holds about 65,000. Their attendance for the first home game against ODU was 57k. For a noon kick with iffy weather against an FCS program, perhaps it'll be a sleepy crowd.

Didn't know this, but before App joined the FBS ranks, Lane Stadium was the FBS stadium at the highest elevation east of the Mississippi.
 #16806  by AstroDin
 Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:36 am
Several changes on the defense today…

Gilby starting, Hugh Ryan starting
 #16807  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:12 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:36 am
Several changes on the defense today…

Gilby starting, Hugh Ryan starting
I thought Perryman was playing well. Odd. Update perrymna there - don’t see McKoy?

Matchups is they are going at mid of our DL as they said w big size advantage
Last edited by gofurman on Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.