• Schedule

#16764  by din23
 Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:09 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:40 am
Take note that school will be out for early Jan. home games against ETSU and UNCG
If we petition the school to not have a Christmas break, then students could be at all of the home games.
 #16770  by DungeonRealm
 Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:21 am
gman wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:56 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:40 am
Take note that school will be out for early Jan. home games against ETSU and UNCG
Students start coming back on Saturday, Jan. 11. Hopefully we will at least have the cheerleaders and a few students. If we are playing well, they will show up.
School starts on 13th, if history is any indication the student body won't be around much, but yes hope for the best, I am just speaking to history, it is what it is I guess as we have no control over the SoCon slate
 #16787  by edwards555
 Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:54 pm
Last year when school was out we had cheerleaders from Eastside High School. I thought they did a very good job.
I have noticed over the years when we play money games the power 5 teams have their regular cheerleaders even if school is out. At Furman the pep band and cheerleaders kinda show up when it fits their schedule. For me if you take the job you show up for work; then again maybe we should just have the dance squad and piped in music; it would give more of an NBA feel and is better suited to the video boards.
 #16795  by apaladin
 Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:07 am
edwards555 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:54 pm
Last year when school was out we had cheerleaders from Eastside High School. I thought they did a very good job.
I have noticed over the years when we play money games the power 5 teams have their regular cheerleaders even if school is out. At Furman the pep band and cheerleaders kinda show up when it fits their schedule. For me if you take the job you show up for work; then again maybe we should just have the dance squad and piped in music; it would give more of an NBA feel and is better suited to the video boards.
It's always disappointing when the pep band is a no show.
 #16796  by Flagman
 Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:28 am
Maybe Furman should change the academic schedule so there are no breaks during any sports season. After all, they get summers off.
FUKA61, din23, gman and 1 others liked this
 #16800  by PaladinPower
 Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:40 am
The band should probably get compensated if they are being asked to show up to more games. It’s a group of volunteers that get 10 bucks a game/2.5 hours of time. The [bmarching[/b] band participants get scholarship. You can’t ask kids at an academic institution like Furman to show up more without compensating them appropriately.
 #16903  by apaladin
 Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:25 pm
PaladinPower wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:40 am
The band should probably get compensated if they are being asked to show up to more games. It’s a group of volunteers that get 10 bucks a game/2.5 hours of time. The [bmarching[/b] band participants get scholarship. You can’t ask kids at an academic institution like Furman to show up more without compensating them appropriately.
I am sure most if not all band members are on some sort of scholarships just like the players are. If the players and cheerleaders have to show up why shouldn't the band?
 #16923  by PaladinPower
 Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:23 pm
I was in the band and on scholarship to be a music major. Being a part of the Paladin Regimemt marching band was included in the scholarship. Being a part of the pep band was not. If you, apaldadin, want the band to show up more, you might need to fork over some monetary support to make that happen.
Horse, MNORM liked this
 #16925  by apaladin
 Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:33 pm
PaladinPower wrote:
I was in the band and on scholarship to be a music major. Being a part of the Paladin Regimemt marching band was included in the scholarship. Being a part of the pep band was not. If you, apaldadin, want the band to show up more, you might need to fork over some monetary support to make that happen.
That's always the answer, isn't it? More money. Forget loyalty and school spirit.
 #16930  by DungeonRealm
 Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:52 pm
PaladinPower wrote:

Or maybe we should just give scholarships to those willing to participate in both
PaladinPower, MNORM liked this
 #16991  by Monday
 Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:51 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
PaladinPower wrote:

Or maybe we should just give scholarships to those willing to participate in both
I bet there will be no shortness of school spirit when they’re loading the buses for the NCAA tournament.
Horse and 1 others liked this
 #17049  by paladinfan12
 Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:17 am
Monday wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:51 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
PaladinPower wrote:

I bet there will be no shortness of school spirit when they’re loading the buses for the NCAA tournament.

Yes.... AND MISSING SPRING BREAK TO DO SO!!! LOL

Unless you can convince the music department that there is a academic necessity to make band students attend all of the basketball games as part of their academic music scholarship.... I think getting student labor for $4 an hour is a pretty fair deal for the university.
Affirm liked this
 #17346  by gman
 Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:05 pm
Well, they did it again this year, scheduling the Furman Ball on the same day the basketball team plays Wofford at home.
 #17367  by Affirm
 Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:53 pm
gman wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:05 pm
Well, they did it again this year, scheduling the Furman Ball on the same day the basketball team plays Wofford at home.
That is bad on those who have authority over selecting the date of the Ball, unless there are plans to avoid conflicts for individuals who will want to be or need to be participating in, attending, or putting on both events.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Scouting Samford

by gofurman

Sun Sep 22, 2024 1:39 am

Default Avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by gofurman

Sun Sep 22, 2024 1:29 am

User avatar THE NEW SEASON

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:57 pm

User avatar Bothwell

by FU Hoopla

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:46 pm

User avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:31 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.