• Hmmmmm

#16702  by tim
 Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:03 am
I think they are in for a surprise. I think our team took that last loss personally and don't feel they played their best game. Take it out on VPI!
QCGlue liked this
 #16703  by fufanatic
 Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:31 am
I personally am not expecting a win, but I would be disappointed if we don't play well and hang around. And of course if we do that, I will then be disappointed we didn't pull the upset. That's how it goes.
Bootie, AstroDin, Jasper and 1 others liked this
 #16710  by Flagman
 Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:36 pm
Some folks are realists; some are pessimists; while others are optimists. I look at every game through purple shaded glasses. I will be disappointed if we don't win. I go into every contest "believing" we can win. If I didn't, I'd probably stay at home.
Rokawaylifer, dornb, QCGlue liked this
 #16715  by fufanatic
 Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:36 pm
Flagman wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:36 pm
Some folks are realists; some are pessimists; while others are optimists. I look at every game through purple shaded glasses. I will be disappointed if we don't win. I go into every contest "believing" we can win. If I didn't, I'd probably stay at home.
I can respect that. I think every time I see Furman play on the road at an FBS team (I've been to Georgia State, Michigan State, UNC, Virginia Tech and Clemson off the top of my head), my heart believes that they can absolutely win, but my head says they probably won't unless something wild happens. Which it nearly did against UNC in 2006, Virginia Tech in 2008, Michigan State in 2016, Georgia State this year, etc. Won't be there Saturday, but will be cheering from home fully believing in my heart that we will win.
dornb liked this
 #16717  by cavedweller2
 Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:02 pm
October 30, 1999. Furman 28. UNC 3. Beat the snot out of them.
Bootie, dornb, Flagman and 2 others liked this
 #16719  by apaladin
 Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:53 pm
There was about 20 years there that I absolutely expected to win every game and thought the only thing in doubt was the final score. However after being humbled by many years of ineptness and mediocrity pre-CCH I now hope to win but do not necessarily expect it. However I could see that changing in the next few years, thankfully.
 #16722  by Flagman
 Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:41 pm
The day my head rules over my heart..., well. I don't want to see that day.
FUBeAR, Paladin575, QCGlue liked this
 #16723  by gofurman
 Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:20 am
cavedweller2 wrote:
yep, and as a Furman and Duke fan I LOVED IT. couldn't happen to a better bunch of academic frauds. :) that said, UNC was playing a safety at QB. - literraly. CCH or Quarles or someone mentioned this. Early interview weeks ago they Said it takes a little luck or oddity for an FCS to beat an FBS and I think mentioned that game w UNC playing a safety at QB.

I am a REALIST - not pessimist or optimist. optimist "glass is half full". pessimist "glass is half empty". REALIST - KNOWS that the glass is always full .. it's just half air and half water.. which is the actual answer ! :D

win or lose VT all goals are in front of us. SoCon, FCS playoffs.. in reality this is our least important game left
Affirm liked this
 #16729  by Davemeister
 Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:29 am
If the O plays the way they did last weekend and the D shows improvement, I will be happy - win or lose.
FUKA61, fufanatic, QCGlue and 5 others liked this
 #16730  by apaladin
 Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:57 am
gofurman wrote:
cavedweller2 wrote:
yep, and as a Furman and Duke fan I LOVED IT. couldn't happen to a better bunch of academic frauds. :) that said, UNC was playing a safety at QB. - literraly. CCH or Quarles or someone mentioned this. Early interview weeks ago they Said it takes a little luck or oddity for an FCS to beat an FBS and I think mentioned that game w UNC playing a safety at QB.

I am a REALIST - not pessimist or optimist. optimist "glass is half full". pessimist "glass is half empty". REALIST - KNOWS that the glass is always full .. it's just half air and half water.. which is the actual answer ! :D

win or lose VT all goals are in front of us. SoCon, FCS playoffs.. in reality this is our least important game left
True about their QB but they also had Julius Pepper and Ryan Sims, future all pros on their defensive lines and FU shredded their defense for well over 500 yds.
MNORM liked this
 #16731  by gofurman
 Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:02 am
apaladin wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:57 am
gofurman wrote:
cavedweller2 wrote:

True about their QB but they also had Julius Pepper and Ryan Sims, future all pros on their defensive lines and FU shredded their defense for well over 500 yds.
you are right. I always tease UNC people when they bring up Julius Peppers. I say "he couldn't handle Furman.. can't be that good" .. they ask why I say that and I show them that beautiful score of 28-3 from 1999
QCGlue liked this
 #16733  by gofurman
 Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:09 am
Davemeister wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:29 am
If the O plays the way they did last weekend and the D shows improvement, I will be happy - win or lose.
exactly. let's improve. Find some good takeaways. Not saying we will lose but to be fair, the O could hardly improve @! the D was hamstrung by a great OL (credit to GSU) a super QB (best we see all year) and great WRs. That's credit to GSU. We were tentative to blitz bc of the QB - I don't think EITHER team had a sack ! That's very rare. And Weems - our senior CB was out. And then Trapp was out too in second half. That doesn' help vs a team throwing for 362 yards on us. Blackshear and Chizik did fine - CB is just a position that takes experience. sure Balckshear and Chizik are great !
 #16739  by tim
 Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:11 pm
IMHO the bad calls will come but the team will handle it with more resolve.
 #16754  by FurmAlum
 Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:31 pm
I agree with Flagman. I think with my heart (more than my brain sometime), and I think Furman can win! I believe the players think they can win, and are going up there to win! You know they will be well prepared.

VPI better be ready to play, cause FU is going to have no fear. If we can keep it close into the 4th quarter ...no tellin what might happen.

The BB players believed they could win L/Y and they made it happen. The football team can do it too.
FUKA61 and 1 others liked this