• Congrats Darren Grainger SoCon Offensive Player of the Week

#16726  by gofurman
 Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:47 am
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:51 am
Went back and watched this play again.

This one stuck out to me because Furman - an alleged "option team" - has three receivers to one side (four total). I think the middle receiver is Wayne Anderson, who seems to be our 3rd down pass catching back.

In the context of doing the "little things," watch our two backs on this play.

Abrams - lined up in the backfield - picks up the stunting OLB by himself and drives him out of the play.

Anderson (who, I think, is in the slot) - runs a route, sees Grainger scrambling, turns around and throws a block that springs the touchdown. Not just throws a block though - he starts blocking his man with Grainger at the 12 yard line and the defender never comes close to making the tackle.

So, even when a play doesn't work exactly right, three freshmen do their jobs and spring a touchdown.

Jackal, great stuff. Grainger deserves accolades, no doubt - but it's a TEAM game. all these blocks make the play work

That's why I love our OL too ! (Cue, FUBeAR ! )
QCGlue liked this
 #16727  by The Jackal
 Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:04 am
GSU only rushes 4 and Furman has "max protect" with all five lineman and a running back blocking. 6 guys blocking 4.

It also looks like GSU had a "spy" on this play (the MLB) - a guy dedicated to basically shadowing Grainger. His one job is to make sure Grainger doesn't run the ball. Whoops.