• A few notes on the season

#1587  by tya1
 Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:25 pm
This season's 23-10 record was the best winning percentage (69.7%) since Eddie Holbrook's 1979-80 team went 23-7 (76.7%). Joe Williams had two teams win over 70% and Lyles Alley had two teams with Frank Selvy win over 70% . This was the sixth best winning percentage in the past 70 years.

This season's 79.4 ppg was the most since 1990-91. That team scored 81.2 ppg.

The advanced metrics show that our success was built around offensive and defensive efficiency. We were just outside the top 100 nationally in both stats and #2 and #3, respectively, in the SoCon. Effective FG% was #1 in the conference on offense and #3 on defense. Turnover rate was #1 for offense and #3 for defense in the conference also - top 50 in the country for both categories. Three point shooting defense was #25 in the country and #2 in SoCon play. Two point shooting percentage was #9 nationally and #1 in conference.

Worst weakness was probably at getting to the free throw line. We were bottom 40 in the country and 8th in the conference. Our FT shooting percentage was last in the conference games. Of course a lot of that was because of Sibley's shooting woes after he was injured against Winthrop. When the guy who shoots the most FTs is struggling to hit 50% that has a major impact. The rest of the team shot a very good 75%, which would have been 4th in the conference and right around #50 in the country. If Sibley had been able to continue shooting the percentage he was hitting before the injury we would have been right there with Wofford for #1. They were #9 in the country.

Second weakness could be offensive rebounding. That, however, may have been strategy. Some teams don't send many to the offensive boards in order to keep guys back to defend possible fast breaks. If you don't allow many fast break basket chances you force teams to work harder for every shot. The fact that our defensive rebounding numbers were fairly good indicates that could be what is happening - not just an inability to rebound.

Some interesting individual ratings. Rafferty was #1 on the team in offensive efficiency. Brown was #2; Mounce #3; Fowler #4; and Davis #5. Even more interestingly, Rafferty was #1 in the SoCon in that category (and it wasn't close) and Brown was #2 - just ahead of Jelks and Holland from Mercer in the #3 and #4 spots. Those commenters who were wondering if some of the newcomers next year would start ahead of Brown should take note. We know that Bob Richey pays close attention to these kind of stats. He specifically mentioned that he does in one of the podcasts.
Affirm liked this
 #1588  by CharlieFU
 Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:04 pm
Good stuff.

Coach Richey responded to my question about O rebounding. I noted many players do NOT follow their shot. Richey pointed out that is often by design, to allow the outside shooter to get back on defense.
 #1589  by Fessor
 Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:51 am
tya1 wrote:
This season's 23-10 record was the best winning percentage (69.7%) since Eddie Holbrook's 1979-80 team went 23-7 (76.7%). Joe Williams had two teams win over 70% and Lyles Alley had two teams with Frank Selvy win over 70% . This was the sixth best winning percentage in the past 70 years.
I don't agree with any inference that this past year's team was better than or on par with any teams of the Joe Williams era. With the possible exception of the 1975-76 team, which however did manage to close out the regular season by beating South Carolina, I'd say each and every one of those teams would beat last year's team ... repeatedly and handily. There's no comparison in talent between that era and the current one; apples and oranges.

Also, let's be real: the current winning percentage is inflated by the two "games" against the non-NCAA, non-NAIA bible schools which, at best, are comparable in ability to club teams from the general student body of most universities. The North - South doubleheader it ain't. (There were "scheduled W's" back in the day but at least they were competitive; UCF even knocked us off in their first year of D-1.)
FU69 liked this
 #1590  by Fessor
 Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:08 am
Fessor wrote:
tya1 wrote:
It is nice that the team is competitive with the best in the Southern Conference again, but I don't agree with any inference that this past year's team was better than or on par with any teams of the Joe Williams era. With the possible exception of the 1975-76 team, which however did manage to close out the regular season by beating South Carolina, I'd say each and every one of those teams would beat last year's team ... repeatedly and handily. There's no comparison in talent between that era and the current one; apples and oranges.

Also, let's be real: the current winning percentage is inflated by the two "games" against the non-NCAA, non-NAIA bible schools which, at best, are comparable in ability to club teams from the general student body of most universities. The North - South doubleheader it ain't. (There were "scheduled W's" back in the day but at least they were competitive; UCF even knocked us off in their first year of D-1.)
FU69 liked this
 #1596  by GOAT
 Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:05 am
Fessor wrote:
Fessor wrote:
tya1 wrote:
It is nice that the team is competitive with the best in the Southern Conference again, but I don't agree with any inference that this past year's team was better than or on par with any teams of the Joe Williams era. With the possible exception of the 1975-76 team, which however did manage to close out the regular season by beating South Carolina, I'd say each and every one of those teams would beat last year's team ... repeatedly and handily. There's no comparison in talent between that era and the current one; apples and oranges.

Let's be real: Joe William's teams winning percentage was inflated by cheating.
 #1600  by Fessor
 Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:35 pm
GOAT wrote:
And ?

I enjoyed watching FU beat Texas, Illinois, etc. down at the Auditorium.
FU69 liked this
 #1601  by cavedweller2
 Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:56 pm
I could deal with some cheating in exchange for some deep NCAA tourney runs.
FU69 liked this
 #1617  by dinhead
 Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:45 pm
GOAT wrote:
Fessor wrote:
Fessor wrote:
tya1 wrote:

Probably so, but few schools weren't cheating back then. The bigger factor is probably the increased academic standards. No more academically challenged JUCO transfers and players that failed out after a year or two. Also, the great increase in the number of D-1 schools has totally changed the nature of recruiting. Furman used to wait and see who got major college offers and then try to sweep up the best remaining players. If a kid wanted to stay close to home and didn't get Clemson or USC offers Furman was one of the only other options.

Now with more than twice as many D-1 schools (350+) including Wofford, Winthrop, COC, Presbyterian just to name a few the strategy is to offer early and often in more of a machine gun approach. By offering early you can often beat other teams to the punch and convince the kids that you love them so dearly you're willing to go out on a limb for them and hope that they return the love by committing early and standing by that commitment.
FU69 liked this
 #1622  by Fessor
 Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:37 pm
dinhead wrote:
Furman used to wait and see who got major college offers and then try to sweep up the best remaining players. If a kid wanted to stay close to home and didn't get Clemson or USC offers Furman was one of the only other options.
That recruiting strategy doesn't apply to most - if any - players during the J Williams and is laughable when applied to Clyde and Jonathan.

The core difference between then and now is that Coach Alley as AD and the school leaders aspired to something bigger. Toward that end, they procured a big time coach and assistant coaches and they scheduled big time schools. The talent followed.
Last edited by Fessor on Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1625  by gman
 Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:25 pm
dinhead wrote:
GOAT wrote:
Fessor wrote:
Fessor wrote:
tya1 wrote:

Probably so, but few schools weren't cheating back then. The bigger factor is probably the increased academic standards. No more academically challenged JUCO transfers and players that failed out after a year or two. Also, the great increase in the number of D-1 schools has totally changed the nature of recruiting. Furman used to wait and see who got major college offers and then try to sweep up the best remaining players. If a kid wanted to stay close to home and didn't get Clemson or USC offers Furman was one of the only other options.

Now with more than twice as many D-1 schools (350+) including Wofford, Winthrop, COC, Presbyterian just to name a few the strategy is to offer early and often in more of a machine gun approach. By offering early you can often beat other teams to the punch and convince the kids that you love them so dearly you're willing to go out on a limb for them and hope that they return the love by committing early and standing by that commitment.
I don’t know of any Furman coach that waited to see what players were left over and then went after them.
 #1634  by GOAT
 Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:45 am
Fessor wrote:
dinhead wrote:
Furman used to wait and see who got major college offers and then try to sweep up the best remaining players. If a kid wanted to stay close to home and didn't get Clemson or USC offers Furman was one of the only other options.
That recruiting strategy doesn't apply to most - if any - players during the J Williams and is laughable when applied to Clyde and Jonathan.

The core difference between then and now is that Coach Alley as AD and the school leaders aspired to something bigger. Toward that end, they procured a big time coach and assistant coaches and they scheduled big time schools. The talent followed.
The talent followed the money.
Jasper liked this
 #1635  by CharlieFU
 Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:09 pm
I thought the original post was simply a reminder of what this team had accomplished, as well as areas that were weaknesses.. Sure, he compared winning percentages but that was about it. In fact, I did not see him comparing talent at all. Read it for what it is, not for any inference that I seriously doubt he intended. For Pete's sake, why cant we celebrate what we have done, while working to improve. A couple of 20 win seasons and a 19 game winning season are nothing to sneeze. HAVE YOU FORGOTTEN HPW BAD WE WERE???
dornb, FUBeAR, FU69 and 3 others liked this
 #1636  by Fessor
 Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:35 pm
GOAT wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:45 am
Fessor wrote:
dinhead wrote:

The talent followed the money.
The first, and most important, move was to attract a coach who could take the university to where it aspired to be. Without the coach and the enthusiasm among the fanbase he generated, there's no money.

The biggest difference, as I said, between and now, was that the powers-that-be aspired to something more.
Last edited by Fessor on Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1637  by The Jackal
 Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:44 pm
CharlieFU wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:04 pm
Good stuff.

Coach Richey responded to my question about O rebounding. I noted many players do NOT follow their shot. Richey pointed out that is often by design, to allow the outside shooter to get back on defense.
I'm not a basketball aficionado, but you see this a bunch at the higher levels. The percentages suggest that it is better to get back on defense and defend the fast break than trying to get an offensive rebound and potentially surrendering an easy bucket to the opposition.
 #1662  by soconjohn
 Wed May 02, 2018 8:41 pm
Fessor I agree with you on one point that the Joe WIlliams teams were better...But that's true of all of hoops...the landscape has changed on the hardwood...Mid majors now are much different than they were then, so that's not a fair comparison.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.