• After Game Thoughts

#16514  by The Jackal
 Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:17 am
My attempt at an objective analysis.

1. I am going to lose what's left of my hair if I continue to hear complaints over "conservative" playcalling or "soft coverage" this season. I honestly do not know how folks can continue to stress about those two things and function as a football fan.

2. Our offense was not "conservative." Furman put up 538 yards of offense, 42 points, threw the ball at will, and ran for 215 (UT ran for 93). Yes, we will continue to run a fullback dive from time to time as it is a core staple of this offense and it forces defenses to respect that we will continue to run in the middle of the field. Sometimes teams make adjustments and things don't work quite as well. Exactly what else did you want our offense to do last night?

3. Furman, along with virtually every college defense, runs primarily zone coverage (though we played a lot of man coverage last night too). They do that to keep an offense in front of them. You especially do that against a team like GSU that has several players on offense that are incredibly dangerous in space. You'll notice in the first half that GSU was able to move the ball, and started to stall inside the 20 - our defense was stopping their run game and the closer you get to the goal line, the less space you have to operate.

4. But what about pressure? See above. You can't overrun a guy like Dan Ellington. He makes one guy miss and he's gone. We tried to control him in the pocket and keep him in front of us. Largely, that plan worked.

5. I'm not worried about the defense. I expect GSU will be about the best offense we will see all season (maybe VT). GSU just hung 38 on an SEC team. They can play. Dan Ellington is a phenomenal player. So no, it wasn't a perfect game defensively, but there's no team in the SoCon with the talent GSU has on offense.

6. I really was pleased with everything I saw out of the team - the fight, finishing runs, tackling was pretty good. Really the only thing I didn't like all night was the WR pass. I didn't like the call and liked the execution even less. It was really the only blemish on an otherwise great evening for the offense.

7. We did some stuff defensively I'd not seen before. A few times we played with 6 DBs, removed both ILBs, and played Wilkins (spur) at MLB. I've never seen us do that. Remember, Duane Vaughan is in his second game as a defensive coordinator and we spent most of the second half playing two freshmen at CB matched up against some big WRs.

8. No one mentions this, but the defense came really close to forcing two turnovers that ended up as a 14 point swing. A little cleaner catch on the INT and a half an inch difference on the fumble, and that would have been two take aways and zero points for GSU.

9. I thought all night we hit them harder than they hit us.

10. The seasons first turnover came, what, in the fourth quarter of game two on the WR pass? Our ball security has been great this season.
cfbfan82, Bootie, AstroDin and 3 others liked this
 #16515  by cavedweller2
 Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:24 am
Our offense will be very hard for a SoCon team to stop. GSU is the best team we will see all year. I watched their win over TN and us as well as VA Tech lose to BC and win against ODU yesterday and at this point GSU beats VaTech. That is just my opinion.

Our D will not see the size and speed they saw last night. They will be very effective in conference. The only player close to Ellington we will see is Adams since Grainger is on our side.
Going to be a good year with lots of W's.
cfbfan82, AstroDin, DeepPurple and 1 others liked this
 #16516  by The Jackal
 Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:31 am
cavedweller2 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:24 am
Our offense will be very hard for a SoCon team to stop. GSU is the best team we will see all year. I watched their win over TN and us as well as VA Tech lose to BC and win against ODU yesterday and at this point GSU beats VaTech. That is just my opinion.

Our D will not see the size and speed they saw last night. They will be very effective in conference. The only player close to Ellington we will see is Adams since Grainger is on our side.
Going to be a good year with lots of W's.
I agree. Adams is the only comparable player to Ellington, and Adams doesn't have near the talent around him.
 #16519  by Jasper
 Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:57 am
The Jackal wrote:

1. I am going to lose what's left of my hair if I continue to hear complaints over "conservative" playcalling or "soft coverage" this season. I honestly do not know how folks can continue to stress about those two things and function as a football fan.

2. Our offense was not "conservative." Furman put up 538 yards of offense, 42 points, threw the ball at will, and ran for 215 (UT ran for 93). Yes, we will continue to run a fullback dive from time to time as it is a core staple of this offense and it forces defenses to respect that we will continue to run in the middle of the field. Sometimes teams make adjustments and things don't work quite as well. Exactly what else did you want our offense to do last night?

3. Furman, along with virtually every college defense, runs primarily zone coverage (though we played a lot of man coverage last night too). They do that to keep an offense in front of them. You especially do that against a team like GSU that has several players on offense that are incredibly dangerous in space. You'll notice in the first half that GSU was able to move the ball, and started to stall inside the 20 - our defense was stopping their run game and the closer you get to the goal line, the less space you have to operate.

4. But what about pressure? See above. You can't overrun a guy like Dan Ellington. He makes one guy miss and he's gone. We tried to control him in the pocket and keep him in front of us. Largely, that plan worked.

5. I'm not worried about the defense. I expect GSU will be about the best offense we will see all season (maybe VT). GSU just hung 38 on an SEC team. They can play. Dan Ellington is a phenomenal player. So no, it wasn't a perfect game defensively, but there's no team in the SoCon with the talent GSU has on offense.

6. I really was pleased with everything I saw out of the team - the fight, finishing runs, tackling was pretty good. Really the only thing I didn't like all night was the WR pass. I didn't like the call and liked the execution even less. It was really the only blemish on an otherwise great evening for the offense.

7. We did some stuff defensively I'd not seen before. A few times we played with 6 DBs, removed both ILBs, and played Wilkins (spur) at MLB. I've never seen us do that. Remember, Duane Vaughan is in his second game as a defensive coordinator and we spent most of the second half playing two freshmen at CB matched up against some big WRs.

8. No one mentions this, but the defense came really close to forcing two turnovers that ended up as a 14 point swing. A little cleaner catch on the INT and a half an inch difference on the fumble, and that would have been two take aways and zero points for GSU.

10. The seasons first turnover came, what, in the fourth quarter of game two on the WR pass? Our ball security has been great this season.
At the risk of your hair line, I have not read any comments on here calling the play calling for the game by Furman as conservative. It was excellent and had great results. My reference was to a specific possession at the end of the first half that resulted in a quick 3 and out that gave GSU another productive possession and half ending momentum. I may be mistaken but I recall the plays as a QB keeper and 2 inside hand offs that did not gain very much. And that was against a GSU defense intent on stopping the run and thus being vulnerable to the pass all night long. If that is the correct sequence, then how else would you characterize it?
 #16521  by gofurman
 Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:10 pm
The Jackal wrote:

Let me start by saying I am VERY ENCOURAGED by a lot of what I saw. A lot!
That is a decent (not great but good) FBS team w 22 more players and some better size (like at WR) etc and a great QB who also runs very well. That said:

“ Sometimes teams make (D) adjustments and things don't work quite as well. “. Right. But I would argue this is what they did a little better than us. Regardless talent they adjusted to us better than we did to them. Thus 20-3 becomes 48-42

How would the two turnovers have switched FOURTEEN points? Weren’t they at end of half and on THE SAME GSU DRIVE? So at BEST it’s a stop of 7 points? Not 14. Or am I missing something ?
 #16523  by apaladin
 Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:22 pm
What Jasper said. We certainly went conservative on the last 2 possessions of the half after moving up and down the field the entire first half. The call on third and 3 was bad. Need 3 and you have Grainger who was playing great. We run a handoff to the short side of the field from the hash mark. That is small area to run in even without defenders. Very conservative call. No reason to be conservative. there. Then the quick 3 and out trying to run out the clock with 3 runs up the middle, again very conservative just trying to get to the half. Then again if we make a tackle at the 5 yard line they don't score at the end of the half. The play calling was great most of the time except for the last 2 possessions of the half and of course the ill-advised flanker pass.
Jasper liked this
 #16526  by Furmanoid
 Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:34 pm
The two near turnovers were on consecutive possessions that each ended in td’s. Had we got them both, GSU would probably have folded at halftime. But we didn’t get them. Our whole defensive philosophy is based on the notion that our competition can’t run more than 10 plays or so without a major unforced screw up. Those mistakes become more likely after we lure them into the red zone. But if you don’t take advantage of the screwups, the bad guys score pretty much every time.
Jasper liked this
 #16527  by AstroDin
 Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:37 pm
Let's be honest last week - Furman played vanilla stuff - Grainger made some very good passes, ran the offense well. Last night Grainger made plays, stood in the pocket, took hits, made some excellent pitches, showed his ability to pick up yards when running the ball. This offense only goes up from here.

Fingers-crossed we stay healthy after the back to back FBS matchups. I only see this as a positive heading into the Mercer game. Mercer will have faced; Western, PC, and Austin Peay - the Govs will be the best opponent the Bears have faced. The Dins have been thrown into the buzzsaw, played a game against a team with a new coaching staff and scheme, a vastly improved, athletic GSU team, and VaTech.

Furman will come into the Mercer game and the SoCon season with a pretty good idea of who they are.

IMO, we come in against Mercer with our hair on fire.
dornb, Horse liked this
 #16528  by apaladin
 Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:56 pm
No reason to believe we won't be healthy after 2 FBS games. Anyone can get hurt at anytime against anyone. Just because a team has the FBS label doesn't mean injuries are more likely when playing them.
FUBeAR, dornb, fufanatic liked this
 #16531  by The Jackal
 Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:07 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Let's be honest last week - Furman played vanilla stuff - Grainger made some very good passes, ran the offense well. Last night Grainger made plays, stood in the pocket, took hits, made some excellent pitches, showed his ability to pick up yards when running the ball. This offense only goes up from here.

Fingers-crossed we stay healthy after the back to back FBS matchups. I only see this as a positive heading into the Mercer game. Mercer will have faced; Western, PC, and Austin Peay - the Govs will be the best opponent the Bears have faced. The Dins have been thrown into the buzzsaw, played a game against a team with a new coaching staff and scheme, a vastly improved, athletic GSU team, and VaTech.

Furman will come into the Mercer game and the SoCon season with a pretty good idea of who they are.

If Mercer beats APSU, they'll likely be ranked coming to Greenville (they may be ranked this week as well). That would be a key game for both teams, not only in the SoCon race, but in the beauty contest.
FUBeAR liked this
 #16532  by gofurman
 Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:16 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:56 pm
No reason to believe we won't be healthy after 2 FBS games. Anyone can get hurt at anytime against anyone. Just because a team has the FBS label doesn't mean injuries are more likely when playing them.
No jinx. We already missed Weems and Trapp and Maples - lets get some back !

Anyone know if some are coming back soon?
 #16533  by FUBeAR
 Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:24 pm
The Jackal wrote:

Nice job!
 #16534  by Affirm
 Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:32 pm
The Jackal wrote:
AstroDin wrote:

If Mercer beats APSU, they'll likely be ranked coming to Greenville (they may be ranked this week as well). That would be a key game for both teams, not only in the SoCon race, but in the beauty contest.
Sagarin post-9/7/19 ratings have Furman as the 12th-highest-rated team in FCS and Mercer as the 15th.
dornb liked this
 #16536  by apaladin
 Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:09 pm
The Jackal wrote:
AstroDin wrote:

Doubt very seriously if Mercer will be ranked by the time they come to PS. In last week's coaches poll they did not receive any votes. There were 31 other teams in the receiving votes category. Don't see them jumping 31 teams by beating PC and Austin Peay. This is why it is very important to start in the poll. Regardless that will be a very important game for both teams. After last night their QB probably can't wait to get here. He is very good.