• After Game Thoughts

#16484  by apaladin
 Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:57 pm
1. We had complete control of the game until we went conservative up 17 on 3rd and 3 inside GSU territory and ran a handoff to the short side of the field instead of letting Grainger make a play. A first down there and GSU may have scored only 3 in the first half. instead of 14. They ultimately scored on 7 straight possessions.
2. Second worst call was the flanker pass? No need for that. We were down only 10 and was moving the ball and plenty of time left.
3. The defense has a long way to go. Zero pass rush and soft coverage equals long days/nights? Did we ever blitz tonight?
3. GSU set a school record for offense.
4. I think most of us FU peeps thought the defense would be our strength. After 2 games the offense is much better.
5. Darren Grainger has me sold. He had a great game tonight both throwing and passing.
6. This could be a very good team if the defense can play better.
7. We've proved to everybody that you can show on FU. Ellington was only 11-24 against UT but was like 90% tonight.
8. Third worst call was the insides kick with plenty of time left. We could have had it on the 30-40 instead of the 10.
9. Ellington is a player, very hard to contain, but Grainger could be very special.
10. Class move at the end by GSU to take a knee. I hope they win the rest of their games.
11. This could be a fun year the way the offense played tonight. Could see a lot of high scoring games.
12. This is a game we could/should/would have won but didn't. That is football. In the grand scheme of things it means little to FU goals except on gaol was to win an FBS game.
13. On to VPI
14. Bad news VPI has a good throwing QB.
dornb liked this
 #16487  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:09 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:57 pm
1. We had complete control of the game until we went conservative up 17 on 3rd and 3 inside GSU territory and ran a handoff to the short side of the field instead of letting Grainger make a play. A first down there and GSU may have scored only 3 in the first half. instead of 14. They ultimately scored on 7 straight possessions.
2. Second worst call was the flanker pass? No need for that. We were down only 10 and was moving the ball and plenty of time left.
3. The defense has a long way to go. Zero pass rush and soft coverage equals long days/nights? Did we ever blitz tonight?
3. GSU set a school record for offense.

4. I think most of us FU peeps thought the defense would be our strength. After 2 games the offense is much better.
5. Darren Grainger has me sold. He had a great game tonight both throwing and passing.
6. This could be a very good team if the defense can play better.
7. We've proved to everybody that you can show on FU. Ellington was only 11-24 against UT but was like 90% tonight.
8. Third worst call was the insides kick with plenty of time left. We could have had it on the 30-40 instead of the 10.
9. Ellington is a player, very hard to contain, but Grainger could be very special.
10. Class move at the end by GSU to take a knee. I hope they win the rest of their games.
11. This could be a fun year the way the offense played tonight. Could see a lot of high scoring games.
12. This is a game we could/should/would have won but didn't. That is football. In the grand scheme of things it means little to FU goals except on gaol was to win an FBS game.
13. On to VPI
14. Bad news VPI has a good throwing QB.
- Agree the flanker pass and onside kick at that time were questionable. especially the flanker pass. and, as it played out we stopped them after the onside kick. you have to wonder if it was a regular kickoff and we get the ball back at the 40? less pressure. again though - to criticize our offense is crazy. they were superb !!!

- Defending our defense right now is a tough ask. GSU setting all kinds of records when they play KSU and the SunBelt means we gave up more than any of those teams ever did to GSU. And we ran the ball and wasted clock and GSU STILL set offensive records. WILL WE EVER GET A PASS DEFENSE ?

- PLEASE don't run the 3 man pass rush against a QB like that. ever. at least rush 4.

- Jackal - i really am playin' with you a little here - but I know you say completions don't matter and moreso that yards don't matter.. only points do. But what leads to points ? - completions and yards. hard to get points without yards. not sure I have ever seen anyone score without getting yards :D
 #16489  by apaladin
 Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:24 pm
IF you have to run the flanker pass why not do it with Shifflet? At least we covered the spread. Vegas is right most of the time.
 #16491  by tya1
 Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:36 pm
When we tried the onside kick we had given up seven straight scoring drives. There wasn't much evidence we could stop their offense by that point.
din23, apaladin, Bootie and 4 others liked this
 #16493  by apaladin
 Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:47 pm
tya1 wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:36 pm
When we tried the onside kick we had given up seven straight scoring drives. There wasn't much evidence we could stop their offense by that point.
True but chances of recovering an onsides kick when they are expecting it is like non-existant. On top of that you give them the ball 10 -15 yds from FG range which would have put the game out of reach. If you kick it deep GSU would play the clock and not throw it with a one score lead more than likely and try to use up the clock giving FU a better chance at getting a stop. If there was a minute+ to go then yes try the onsides kick but not with 3+ to go.
FUpaladin08, fufanatic liked this
 #16494  by FurmAlum
 Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:02 am
The problem with the flanker pass wasn't the call, it was the execution. The receiver wasn't close to being open. DeLuca should have just run the ball and try to gain a couple yards...but not an easy decision with a 270 lb. lineman coming straight at him.
Onsides kick wasn't that bad either. We hadn't stopped them all night. If we recovered we could have scored and won the game.
Grainger and the O. were great. He is going to be a super QB. Those were some big time throws tonight.
Give some credit to Ellington. He's a great player. The D will get better. Have some faith.
We'll be O.K. against SoCon/FCS competition.
FUKA61, cavedweller2, AstroDin and 1 others liked this
 #16498  by CharlieFU
 Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:47 am
Enjoyed the trip to Atlanta. Learned that GSU is largest school in Ga univ system. 52,000 students!

We went toe to toe with an FBS team. Encouraging.

Sat next to former Paladin player Bernard Durham. Several other former players next to us. Was fun listening to their comments. Bernard was a team captain on the 1984 team.

Good Furman crowd. Not surprising given number of alums in Atlanta area.

Thomas Gordon is a stud.
FUBeAR, dornb liked this
 #16499  by Flagman
 Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:56 am
The Grainger-Gordon combination is going to be fun to watch..
dornb, QCGlue, fufanatic liked this
 #16500  by Bootie
 Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:12 am
Biggest play of the game imo was 2nd quarter, we had just punted to GSU and they had the ball on 3rd down and 4 at their own 12. QB scrambled and was able to get around the corner and pickup the first down. If we had contained him there we would’ve gotten ball back and had opportunity to go up 27-3. Instead, they finished the drive and made it 20-10. Amazing what 1 play can do.

Overall great performance and I’m thrilled and proud of where our program is.
AstroDin, I-85 Paladin, din23 and 2 others liked this
 #16504  by AstroDin
 Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:28 am
OK, I'm going to put on purple glasses for my after game thoughts. First, a rule I follow after an emotional defeat wait a day to post - some things become less important others become more important.

The Furman offense took a big step from week one to week two - I'm fairly sure the GSU defensive plan was to take away the run and force Granger to beat them with his arm. Grainger delivered.

The DIN offensive line did a very good job against an aggressive, stunting defense, didn't surprise me at all. Was it a perfect performance no, anyways, hats off to the hogs.

Ryan Miller is going to be a very good player for Furman. Miller is a hybrid weapon, made some great blocks as TE, as a receiver he seems to always be open and proved last night he's got great hands.

Running up the middle was tough, but, the Dins started getting chunks up the middle in the fourth quarter. It was a deceptive running effort. Furman ended up with 226 yards gained, again not a bad effort against an FBS team.

Jordan Willis led the defense with 15 tackles, I believe we will play better. I chalk the GSU game and the VaTech game as experiences to get better.

My final thought, this team battled till the end. The defense gave the offense it's shot. I think Quarles is still in the what can we ask Grainger to do mode. As the season progresses and Quarles continues to develop this offense, we're going to be lethal.
dornb liked this
 #16505  by Furmanoid
 Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:29 am
The offense is really good. But I’m afraid they will have to score 40 something or better often since it looks like we are all in on the traditional Furman bend but don’t break D. It has worked just enough over the years that they just can’t let go of it. We lure the other team into the red zone trusting that a penalty or turnover will bail us out at least 3 or 4 times a game. As crazy as it sounds it would have worked last night if not for a bobbled pick and a mishandled fumble recovery.
 #16507  by DeepPurple
 Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:39 am
I was shocked how cool of an environment it was last night. I think they have done a good job with the TED to make it a FB facility. I think our Offense has the chance to be beyond special. Our defense will get better. I don't think we will see anyone as athletic as that bunch, GSU Offense. There are a bunch of D1 FBS transfers on that team, a bunch of skill folks, 85 scholarships. We had 1 of our corners out last night which had to hurt. I trust our staff will make some adjustments and get better. We lost but hopefully it will be a stepping stone. The sun did come in today. Very proud of our football program.
cfbfan82, dornb liked this
 #16508  by Jasper
 Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:07 am
A game we arguably could have and should have won. A meltdown at the end of the first half cost us the win. Aside from some questionable play calling at times by the staff, the offense looked tremendous. Darren Grainger is vastly improved, our RB's are excellent and the O line is as good as advertised. All the more reason not to go into a conservative shell with 2 and 1/2 minutes or so left in the half that led to a quick 3 and out and then another score by GSU. The double pass attempt with 10 minutes left was ill advised and poorly executed. Totally unnecessary with the way our offense was playing.
The way I saw our defensive problems was more from the perspective of a total lack of pass rush and containment on a very good QB. Given the amount of time he had, he was clearly the difference in the game. We need to make some adjustments defensively, especially when playing a passing team like that.
All in all it was a very good effort by Furman against a team that is the equivalent of a very good FCS team. Our team should be proud of the effort they put out and it was a great game experience in Atlanta with a tremendous show of support by the FU faithful in attendance. We are not very far away from winning games like this.
furman88, AstroDin, dornb liked this
 #16511  by apaladin
 Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:39 am
Totally agree. When you think about it the only time GSU stopped us is when we went conservative at the end of the half and the start of the second half. Our worries about QB are no more. Give any QB all day and he will complete passes.
Did we ever blitz?