• #11 Furman @ [FBS] Georgia St. Sept. 7th (Purple Invasion On ATL)

#16380  by The Jackal
 Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:45 am
As I went back and looked at some of the highlights from last week, this one stuck out to me.

There's nothing fancy about this play. It's 3rd and 1 and Furman is running a fullback dive with Carson Maples. No fancy footwork or motions - just hat on a hat and get the first down.

There are a few things I really like. It comes in the "do the little things" category:

1. The offensive line knocks the defense off the ball. Maples has the first down before he's even hit. The C and RG double team the DT straight out of the hole.

2. Maples never stops running. He is a big boy and he never stops moving his feet. He did his job - got the first down - but kept churning and broke a touchdown. That was not the difference in this game, but it could be the difference in a future game.

3. Sisson carries out his fake. We run a ton of play action - trying to get defenders to lose discipline with their eyes. The only way to make that work is for guys to carry out their jobs. Here, Sisson's job is to hand the ball off and feint like he's carrying it around the end. He never even looks at Maples' run until Maples is 10 yards down field. The backside defensive lineman chases Sisson (who doesn't have the ball).
MNORM, hypercycloid, Jasper and 3 others liked this
 #16381  by QCGlue
 Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:55 am
I have 2 tickets and a parking pass in the Blue lot for sale. We had someone get sick, and they're unable to go with us.
Parking pass: $10
Section 131, Row 10, Seat 18: $15 (paid $20)
Section 131, Row 8, Seat 17: $15 (paid $20)

Please email me at qcglue@gmail.com, or call or text 864-884-1812. I can email tickets to you.
 #16382  by QCGlue
 Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:36 am
QCGlue wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:55 am
I have 2 tickets and a parking pass in the Blue lot for sale. We had someone get sick, and they're unable to go with us.
Parking pass: $10
Section 131, Row 10, Seat 18: $15 (paid $20)
Section 131, Row 8, Seat 17: $15 (paid $20)

Please email me at qcglue@gmail.com, or call or text 864-884-1812. I can email tickets to you.

Parking pass is SOLD!
 #16383  by Jasper
 Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:43 am
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:45 am
As I went back and looked at some of the highlights from last week, this one stuck out to me.

There's nothing fancy about this play. It's 3rd and 1 and Furman is running a fullback dive with Carson Maples. No fancy footwork or motions - just hat on a hat and get the first down.

There are a few things I really like. It comes in the "do the little things" category:

1. The offensive line knocks the defense off the ball. Maples has the first down before he's even hit. The C and RG double team the DT straight out of the hole.

2. Maples never stops running. He is a big boy and he never stops moving his feet. He did his job - got the first down - but kept churning and broke a touchdown. That was not the difference in this game, but it could be the difference in a future game.

3. Sisson carries out his fake. We run a ton of play action - trying to get defenders to lose discipline with their eyes. The only way to make that work is for guys to carry out their jobs. Here, Sisson's job is to hand the ball off and feint like he's carrying it around the end. He never even looks at Maples' run until Maples is 10 yards down field. The backside defensive lineman chases Sisson (who doesn't have the ball).
Great observation on Sisson carrying out an excellent fake. It effectively took a potential tackler totally out of the play w/o touching him. QB faking is very important in our misdirection schemes. Love the way the RG (Jordan Harris) blasts the DT off the line of scrimmage - very quick off the ball. Great play all around.
PalaDad liked this
 #16387  by FUpaladin08
 Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:10 am
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:37 am
fufanatic wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:00 pm
Purpleglasses wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:43 pm
GA ST podcast. Furman talk around 18 min mark.
Enjoy.
https://m.soundcloud.com/thersday-night ... an-preview
I've heard worse commentators (podcasters?) but I'm struggling to think of any right now.
For whatever reason, Furman has deceived everyone into thinking they are a "flex option" team.

Furman is not a 3 back offense or a "triple option" team. They are primarily a 2 RB/1 TE/2 WR offense that uses dozens of different formations and looks. Most of their option looks aren't option at all, but play fakes.

I did like the bit where the podcasters noted that Furman's rushing stats were inflated by two long runs. Without those two runs, they "only" rushed for 247 yards.
And here’s where their logical falls apart. You can’t just remove the yards from those two plays like they didn’t happen. If we don’t bust those 60+ yarders, it doesn’t mean the drives stop. By their own admission Furman is a running team and would have continued running on those drives. Doesn’t matter if those 120 yards were on 2 carries or 20 carries. You can’t just remove them from the stat line.
 #16389  by AstroDin
 Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:28 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:05 am

I also loved this. Abrams never stops his feet. All 5 offensive linemen help push him four yards into the end zone. No one stops moving on first contact.
My favorite part of this video - watch #62 that's a true freshman. Jumper in an instant jumped into the play got under Abrams and carried him to the goal line. Quick thinking, great execution.
 #16398  by FUBeAR
 Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:58 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:31 pm
Also, my gut take on the mental aspect of this Furman team. Watched the press conference - Harris and Vann are just all business, playing GSU is like playing any other team. I see Furman coming into this game expecting to win.
If any Player ever takes the field and doesn’t EXPECT to win the game, he should just head on back into the locker room. He’s a liability to his Teammates fulfilling their EXPECTATIONS.
MNORM, Jasper liked this
 #16399  by Bootie
 Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:00 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:05 am

I also loved this. Abrams never stops his feet. All 5 offensive linemen help push him four yards into the end zone. No one stops moving on first contact.
Yeah, he's down at the 2 if the o-line doesn't join in. Love that. That's teamwork right there.