• #11 Furman @ [FBS] Georgia St. Sept. 7th (Purple Invasion On ATL)

#16355  by The Jackal
 Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:24 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:34 pm
Would be stunned if it's not a close game. I really do think we can win, I expect to win, and would be disappointed if we don't. The question is ... can we make a big drive in the 4th if it's needed to come from behind and win? Can we do a 2-minute drill with no timeouts? Will we see some longer throws for completions this week. I'm very hopeful and anxious for Saturday.
I think this will be a good game for fans of football. Both teams are well coached, athletic, and in good shape. There should be a lot of guys flying around the field Saturday night.
 #16356  by gofurman
 Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:38 pm
Prior post a few back You make a good pt about 2 min drives. Here is what I have heard from
CH in interviews. We are strong on OL. RB. Good depth and experience now despite being a little young (IE starting freshman guys two years ago we woulda possibly redshirted now). Grainger is good but learning as would be expected - CH mentioned they were working on 2 min drills specifically. LBs are strong and experienced. DBs have depth ... this nxt is my comment - we will learn a lot about whole team this weekend but esp our passing game and DL and DBs. We have DB quality players - Weems and Trapp! But do our new coaches put them in position to stop pass or are we back 5 yds? This game is a bonus - win and it’s awesome!. If we lose let’s learn to improve on areas before conference. I believe we can win this game. Just noting areas I’ll be watching. IE Wynn etc looked great. If GSU stops Wynn I just give them credit and take nothing from him. He’s great !!! But if they throw all over us I’ll think we have work to do before some passing teams in conference
 #16359  by FUBeAR
 Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:51 pm
affirm wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:17 am
Affirm is grateful that, even though the members posting on GoPaladins.com The UFFP make up a fairly small group, there are numerous members whose posts are typically far more knowledgeable/experienced and/or far more articulate than affirm's. As a prime example, affirm points to many of the posts of FUBeAR, including "Stomp. Mud hole.", along with many others of FUBeAR's, including much longer one's and similarly short ones. (By the way, affirm is admitting that affirm has learned only within the last 7 days what FUBeAR's member name represents when the "e" is left out.)

In any case, affirm now proceeds with some additional comments about prior games in Atlanta (though leaving out, correctly or incorrectly, Oglethorpe University).

From 1901 to 1921, 21 years, Furman played at Georgia Tech several times with terrible results.
There was a 26 year break until Furman again played at Georgia Tech in 1946 and 1947, again with bad results.
Then there was a 36 year break until Furman again played at Georgia Tech. Results were good in 1983, 1986, and 1992, 1-1-1. Results were not so good in 1993 and 1995, 0-2.
Overall results since the FCS era began are 1-3-1.
Now there has been a 24 year break since Furman played in Atlanta. We are now fortunate to get to play Georgia State University, in their 10th year of football. It is good to get to play Georgia State in football.

Affirm thinks Georgia State is a much-improved football team this year. Affirm thinks their regular season record will be at least 7-5, and they will end up with a winning season, whether or not they win their bowl game. Regretfully, affirm thinks Georgia State has a good chance of beating Furman on Saturday for 1 of Georgia State's at least 7 wins in the regular season. Regretfully, affirm thinks this will be a difficult game for Furman.
FUBeAR LIKES this post overall, but for the record...HATES the final paragraph!

Affirm liked this
 #16362  by cavedweller2
 Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:06 pm
Walt Deptula on the climpson propaganda network 105.5 flat out called a Paladin win.
apaladin, QCGlue liked this
 #16366  by apaladin
 Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:27 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Would be stunned if it's not a close game. I really do think we can win, I expect to win, and would be disappointed if we don't. The question is ... can we make a big drive in the 4th if it's needed to come from behind and win? Can we do a 2-minute drill with no timeouts? Will we see some longer throws for completions this week. I'm very hopeful and anxious for Saturday.
That next to last line will be another key. The 40 yd. pass to the sideline for a 2 yd gain that we saw a lot of Saturday will not get it done Saturday. If we do a lot of that I predict at least one pick 6. Very dangerous pass for minimal reward. Hopefully we will see a more vertical(not sideways) passing game on Saturday.
dornb liked this
 #16370  by The Jackal
 Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:40 pm
apaladin wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
That next to last line will be another key. The 40 yd. pass to the sideline for a 2 yd gain that we saw a lot of Saturday will not get it done Saturday. If we do a lot of that I predict at least one pick 6. Very dangerous pass for minimal reward. Hopefully we will see a more vertical(not sideways) passing game on Saturday.
CSU was taking away the deep ball. Those short out routes are difficult long throws and what the defense was giving us.

There aren’t many QBs you’ll watch that can make that throw to the sideline.
 #16371  by gofurman
 Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:53 pm
apaladin wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
still, AP has a point. At some time all QBs (not a knock on Grainger - I am impressed !) have their first two minute drill under pressure. Our whole TEAM beat up CSU. Grainger didn't have to make an passing drive under pressure. He made some individual passes that were great! But Eventually someone will force Grainger to make more plays and possibly a two minute drill. Hope that comes later rather than sooner so he continues to get practice. As long as our OL looks like we did vs CSU Grainger can do what he wants. And that's what we want. but either GSU or VTech will change that. I hope our OL kills the SoCon !
 #16374  by JohnW
 Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:48 pm
When CSU came out in the 3rd and cut the lead to 11 Furman went on a 79 yard drive, overcoming a holding penalty, converting on third down, eating up 6+ minutes. The QB was responsible for 66 yds on the drive, around 60 of it passing including a 28 yard completion and and a 16 yard sideline route, scoring on a six yard TD pass. The guy completed 70% of his passes, no interceptions, no fumbles, ran for a score and threw a TD pass at a crucial time in the game. I don't see the problem.
dornb, Jasper, AstroDin and 1 others liked this
 #16375  by gofurman
 Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:19 pm
No problem You have a good point on that one drive. Just saying he will see more need to complete passes and different passes vs teams where our OL can’t push as much as we could vs CSU. I love our OL v CSU. Hope we see that OL push vs SoCon! Was impressive. When you know in back of your mind you have 5 yard runs at your leisure it’s not as much pressure on the throws. So honestly _ win or lose - GSU and VTech will be good prep. I’ve said before I just wish we didn’t have Mercer after that. Right now they look tops along w us. Though I expect Wofford to revert to option and improve. At years end I bet it’s us, Mercer, Woff for title. Maybe ETSU in there
 #16377  by The Jackal
 Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:23 am
gman wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:51 pm
Reminder to everyone. Georgia State beat a terrible FBS team, one that is poorly coached and one that has numerous internal issues. We will bring GS back down to earth on Saturday. The Paladins will rush for over 200 yards, beating the Panthers, 35-24.
They were 2-10 last year. They know how to lose.
 #16379  by The Jackal
 Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:37 am
fufanatic wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:00 pm
Purpleglasses wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:43 pm
GA ST podcast. Furman talk around 18 min mark.
Enjoy.
https://m.soundcloud.com/thersday-night ... an-preview
I've heard worse commentators (podcasters?) but I'm struggling to think of any right now.
For whatever reason, Furman has deceived everyone into thinking they are a "flex option" team.

Furman is not a 3 back offense or a "triple option" team. They are primarily a 2 RB/1 TE/2 WR offense that uses dozens of different formations and looks. Most of their option looks aren't option at all, but play fakes.

I did like the bit where the podcasters noted that Furman's rushing stats were inflated by two long runs. Without those two runs, they "only" rushed for 247 yards.