• #11 Furman @ [FBS] Georgia St. Sept. 7th (Purple Invasion On ATL)

#16332  by FUBeAR
 Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:30 pm
din23 wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:42 am
affirm wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:03 am
TRIVIA:
    Saturday, 9/7/2019, will be the 12th time Furman has played a football game in Atlanta.
    1901, 1917, 1918, 1919, 1921, 1946, 1983, 1986, 1991, 1993, 1995, 2019.
      Furman is 0-10-1.
        The cumulative score of all 11 games is 72-485.
        All the games have been with Georgia Tech.
        (Furman has played at Oglethorpe 5 times, but Oglethorpe is in Brookhaven, and it is assumed all 5 of those games were on the Oglethorpe campus.)
          Furman's best outcome when playing those 11 games in Atlanta was a 17-17 tie in 1986, 33 years ago.
          I guess that 17-19 score in 1991 was not overly embarrassing, although frustrating.
          The 2 most recent games, 1993 and 1995 were not close, but at least we scored, 3-37 and 7-51.
          We were shut out the first 5 times we played in Atlanta: 0-17, 0-25, 0-118, 0-74, and 0-69. Thank goodness Furman did not choose to discontinue football after any of those scores.
          The next 2 games, 1946 and 1983, the results were 7-41 and 14-17. As with 1991, I guess 1983 was not overly embarrassing, but frustrating.
            Atlanta is apparently the largest city in which Furman has ever played a football game. (There have been 5 games in Washington, DC, 1 game in Orlando, and 3 games in Miami; but I am guessing that Atlanta has been larger than each of those 3 in the years each of the games were played.)
              It is hoped that playing in such a big city will not cause undue intimidation or nervousness for Furman. Of course, that certainly should not be the case for our players and coaches.
                It is hoped also that the above historical outcomes from the 11 games previously played in Atlanta will cause not cause undue intimidation or nervousness for Furman. That also should of course certainly not be the case for our players and coaches.
                  This will be our first and possibly our only opportunity to play football against Georgia State University.
                  1983 was neither embarrassing nor frustrating for Furman. I can guarantee that.
                  Best elevator ride of my life down from the Press/Coaches Box to the field that day. We all headed down after the game clinching INT & were standing inside the elevator waiting for the doors to close when the GT Staff from the box appeared, without knowing all the FU Box Coaches were standing inside. Had to be one of the toughest decisions of their lives - don’t get in, even though there was plenty of room..and know that not only were they just punked on the field, they were also afraid to get into the elevator with their Coaching Betters/Vanquishers OR get in & ride down the 5 stories or so in extremely close quarters with a group of grinning, laughing, excited Coaching Betters/Vanquishers. They hesitated, looked at each other, hesitated again, then manned up (sorta), got on the elevator in front of us without saying a word & all kept ‘eyes front’ the entire, what must’ve seemed to them 3 hour, ride. It was GLORIOUS!

BTW - Oglethorpe was not in Brookhaven until the area generally known as Brookhaven became a ‘real’ city in, like 2012. It was in the city of North Atlanta from the early 30’s (I think) until 1965, when North Atlanta ‘disincorporated,’ and then in unincorporated DeKalb County from 1965 to 2012. So, those Oglethorpe games were not, technically, in the City of Atlanta...but Oglethorpe did...and still does have an Atlanta address. So...you sort that all out for the purposes of having your trivia post be accurate.

FUBeAR has a final score to conjure up...35-21 Dins...45-31 Dins...24-10 Dins...just not sure yet.
                  Paul C, MNORM liked this
                   #16334  by gofurman
                   Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:31 pm
                  The Jackal wrote:
                  Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:49 pm
                  Another thing I had forgotten when watching GSU's film - the OC spent the last six or seven years at Western Carolina.

The Panther's offense is a near carbon clone of the Catamounts. The QB is a big athletic kid that can throw and catch. The RB is a shifty speedster and they will use a lot of TE/H-Backs.

There shouldn't be many surprises Saturday. We don't have a history with Georgia State, but we have history with their coaches.

right - and that's not my favorite. WCU last year put point after point on us. It was the most shootout-llike game we had. we won 44-38. That is just a fact. WCU was the one team we couldn't stop their offense. 440 yards of passing vs our D. 570 yards of O. That was the worst our D looked all year vs a conference foe if you call it honestly. and GSU should have more talent than Western pretty easily when you consider their OL. Western has great skill talent but their OL was not good. I suspect GSU to have far more overall talent.

I would rather they NOT resemble Western on O. LOL - how about they resemble Western on D ;)

GSU looks (beat UT, beat KSU last year who was a playoff FCS team) to be a top 10 FCS team at the very least. It will be tough but its doable. So likea top 10 FCS on road - playing at KSU or EWU or UC Davis... except I would always s rather us play a running team like KSU or Woff. As shown above throwing teams scare me.

It's a good chance to see what we have and how we defend a great athletic QB. Ellington (qb_) put some nasty moves on UT. Guess I just wish I had seen what all the preseason pub said that they couldn't stop the run at all. Instead UT couldn't run on them - hope that was because UT just stunk.

I think we can win but it will take a good effort - as someone said they have Furman and Wofford coachs.. they will stack the box and it won't be like CSU where we ran so easily (kudos to OL!!!). We will have to throw some to back them off. Gonna be a test forour guys - esp Grainger in second start. I am almost sure GSU will force him to make a lot of plays for us. Which is good for his learning curve - win or lose he should gain maturity. We can win !!!
                   #16336  by FUBeAR
                   Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:35 am
                  gofurman wrote:
                  The Jackal wrote:
                  Another thing I had forgotten when watching GSU's film - the OC spent the last six or seven years at Western Carolina.

The Panther's offense is a near carbon clone of the Catamounts. The QB is a big athletic kid that can throw and catch. The RB is a shifty speedster and they will use a lot of TE/H-Backs.

There shouldn't be many surprises Saturday. We don't have a history with Georgia State, but we have history with their coaches.

right - and that's not my favorite. WCU last year put point after point on us. It was the most shootout-llike game we had. we won 44-38. That is just a fact. WCU was the one team we couldn't stop their offense. 440 yards of passing vs our D. 570 yards of O. That was the worst our D looked all year vs a conference foe if you call it honestly. and GSU should have more talent than Western pretty easily when you consider their OL. Western has great skill talent but their OL was not good. I suspect GSU to have far more overall talent.

I would rather they NOT resemble Western on O. LOL - how about they resemble Western on D ;)

GSU looks (beat UT, beat KSU last year who was a playoff FCS team) to be a top 10 FCS team at the very least. It will be tough but its doable. So likea top 10 FCS on road - playing at KSU or EWU or UC Davis... except I would always s rather us play a running team like KSU or Woff. As shown above throwing teams scare me.

It's a good chance to see what we have and how we defend a great athletic QB. Ellington (qb_) put some nasty moves on UT. Guess I just wish I had seen what all the preseason pub said that they couldn't stop the run at all. Instead UT couldn't run on them - hope that was because UT just stunk.

I think we can win but it will take a good effort - as someone said they have Furman and Wofford coachs.. they will stack the box and it won't be like CSU where we ran so easily (kudos to OL!!!). We will have to throw some to back them off. Gonna be a test forour guys - esp Grainger in second start. I am almost sure GSU will force him to make a lot of plays for us. Which is good for his learning curve - win or lose he should gain maturity. We can win !!!
                  Stomp. Mud hole.
                   #16337  by The Jackal
                   Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:53 am
                  gofurman wrote:
                  The Jackal wrote:

I look at it slightly differently.

Last season, Furman controlled WCU for most of the contest and led by three touchdowns at half time. The Catamounts put up some yards, but Tyrie Adams single handedly kept them in that game. He made several plays to keep them alive that I still cannot figure out. Sometimes it doesn't have to do with "bad defense." Sometimes, playmakers just make plays in spite of you.

Alternatively, you can look at Furman holding WCU to 6 points in Cullowhee the year before. It was in the rain, but still an overwhelming defensive effort against Brad Glenn's offense.

Bottom line, GSU's offense runs through the QB. We're going to have to get after him. He'll make some plays. The idea is for him not to make too many.
                  DeepPurple liked this
                   #16340  by MNORM
                   Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:17 am
                  The Jackal wrote:
                  Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:53 am
                  gofurman wrote:
                  The Jackal wrote:

I look at it slightly differently.

Last season, Furman controlled WCU for most of the contest and led by three touchdowns at half time. The Catamounts put up some yards, but Tyrie Adams single handedly kept them in that game. He made several plays to keep them alive that I still cannot figure out. Sometimes it doesn't have to do with "bad defense." Sometimes, playmakers just make plays in spite of you.

Alternatively, you can look at Furman holding WCU to 6 points in Cullowhee the year before. It was in the rain, but still an overwhelming defensive effort against Brad Glenn's offense.

Bottom line, GSU's offense runs through the QB. We're going to have to get after him. He'll make some plays. The idea is for him not to make too many.
                  I expect to see us go after the QB a bit more Saturday. Our pass rush was rather vanilla against CSU yet we still ended up with 5 sacks. If our DBs can provide solid coverage while we put pressure on the QB, we win this game...IMHO.
                  AstroDin liked this
                   #16341  by Affirm
                   Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:17 am
                  Affirm is grateful that, even though the members posting on GoPaladins.com The UFFP make up a fairly small group, there are numerous members whose posts are typically far more knowledgeable/experienced and/or far more articulate than affirm's. As a prime example, affirm points to many of the posts of FUBeAR, including "Stomp. Mud hole.", along with many others of FUBeAR's, including much longer one's and similarly short ones. (By the way, affirm is admitting that affirm has learned only within the last 7 days what FUBeAR's member name represents when the "e" is left out.)

In any case, affirm now proceeds with some additional comments about prior games in Atlanta (though leaving out, correctly or incorrectly, Oglethorpe University).

From 1901 to 1921, 21 years, Furman played at Georgia Tech several times with terrible results.
                  There was a 26 year break until Furman again played at Georgia Tech in 1946 and 1947, again with bad results.
                  Then there was a 36 year break until Furman again played at Georgia Tech. Results were good in 1983, 1986, and 1992, 1-1-1. Results were not so good in 1993 and 1995, 0-2.
                  Overall results since the FCS era began are 1-3-1.
                  Now there has been a 24 year break since Furman played in Atlanta. We are now fortunate to get to play Georgia State University, in their 10th year of football. It is good to get to play Georgia State in football.

Affirm thinks Georgia State is a much-improved football team this year. Affirm thinks their regular season record will be at least 7-5, and they will end up with a winning season, whether or not they win their bowl game. Regretfully, affirm thinks Georgia State has a good chance of beating Furman on Saturday for 1 of Georgia State's at least 7 wins in the regular season. Regretfully, affirm thinks this will be a difficult game for Furman.
                  FUBeAR liked this
                   #16342  by gofurman
                   Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:09 pm
                  affirm wrote:
                  Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:17 am
                  Affirm is grateful that, even though the members posting on GoPaladins.com The UFFP make up a fairly small group, there are numerous members whose posts are typically far more knowledgeable/experienced and/or far more articulate than affirm's. As a prime example, affirm points to many of the posts of FUBeAR, including "Stomp. Mud hole.", along with many others of FUBeAR's, including much longer one's and similarly short ones. (By the way, affirm is admitting that affirm has learned only within the last 7 days what FUBeAR's member name represents when the "e" is left out.)

In any case, affirm now proceeds with some additional comments about prior games in Atlanta (though leaving out, correctly or incorrectly, Oglethorpe University).

From 1901 to 1921, 21 years, Furman played at Georgia Tech several times with terrible results.
                  There was a 26 year break until Furman again played at Georgia Tech in 1946 and 1947, again with bad results.
                  Then there was a 36 year break until Furman again played at Georgia Tech. Results were good in 1983, 1986, and 1992, 1-1-1. Results were not so good in 1993 and 1995, 0-2.
                  Overall results since the FCS era began are 1-3-1.
                  Now there has been a 24 year break since Furman played in Atlanta. We are now fortunate to get to play Georgia State University, in their 10th year of football. It is good to get to play Georgia State in football.

Affirm thinks Georgia State is a much-improved football team this year. Affirm thinks their regular season record will be at least 7-5, and they will end up with a winning season, whether or not they win their bowl game. Regretfully, affirm thinks Georgia State has a good chance of beating Furman on Saturday for 1 of Georgia State's at least 7 wins in the regular season. Regretfully, affirm thinks this will be a difficult game for Furman.
                  interesting side note - the over undr on total wins for GSU for the entire season (I was interested as we played them) .. was 3 or 4 games. I think that is a little of my frustration .. LOL. That team I saw beat UT is going to win more than 3/4 games. IE , I felt I was misled... They only won 2 games last year but were a young team last year. So I figured the 3 or 4 games number was right. Regardless, if they beat us or not, I hiope they win a lot of their other games so it looks good for us . I hope we either win OR at least stay close.

I am not selling us short - I think we have the best team we have had in a while. I just think GSU may be better than I thought and they have a scary a QB like Tyrie Adams who kept a much lesser team in the game (WCU). I have to think GSU is far better than WCU. most everyone agrees with that. Its a little bit of a stretch but it is the Western OC. So if Tyrie can keep WCU in the game with us.. what could a similar QB do with a good bit more talent?

To Jackal - I hear you. It m ay simply come down to how many great plays does the GSU QB come up w vs our D.. can we pressure him AND keep him contained. One of the most frustrating things is to get pressure on a QB and then he scampers 5 yards. those type QBs - GSU, Adams, etc can be maddening. I think Grainger will become that type guy for us !
                   #16351  by fufanatic
                   Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:34 pm
                  Would be stunned if it's not a close game. I really do think we can win, I expect to win, and would be disappointed if we don't. The question is ... can we make a big drive in the 4th if it's needed to come from behind and win? Can we do a 2-minute drill with no timeouts? Will we see some longer throws for completions this week. I'm very hopeful and anxious for Saturday.
                  QCGlue, fupaladin01, dornb liked this