• NFL draft of FCS Players

#1612  by gofurman
 Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:32 pm
Not going to look at who all graduated from the entire SoCon right now other than our guys that I know and a few standouts I recall... though I thought Samford had some very good D players and maybe the Woff D player I thought was really good is still a junior?

Just interesting how the MEAC - so weak in general - has a player or two drafted .. and no SoCon players were taken: (though I have seen that SC State guy - he is a legit stud). It's probably the old case of a single stud player on a team of not-so-great college players while FU may have a team of v good college players.. which is a far better TEAM. I'll take 22 great college guys over 2 NFL guys and 20 "lesser" college guys any day ! I get the feeling that happens a good deal in the MEAC. SC State , for example , has had several NFL players (- Robert Porcher was a MAN.. Pro-Bowl, All-Pro etc ) but SC State is not often a v good FCS team

That SDakota TE Goedert was a stud.. I saw him play on TV once or twice

Following is a pick-by-pick summary of the FCS draft class:
—=

FRIDAY, APRIL 27=

Indianapolis Colts (2, 36) – Darius Leonard, South Carolina State, OLB, 6-2, 234. Two-time MEAC defensive player of the year has NFL frame plus instinctive feel for the game, reflecting in his school-record 394 tackles. Sixth South Carolina State draft pick in the 2010s and the school’s highest since 1995.

Philadelphia Eagles (2, 49) – Dallas Goedert, South Dakota State, TE, 6-4½, 256. Has the agility and reliable hands of a wide receiver with a tight end’s body. Was particularly dominant with 92 receptions as a junior, and totaled 164 catches for 3,404 yards and 18 touchdowns over his final two seasons.

Oakland Raiders (2, 57) – P.J. Hall, Sam Houston State, DT, 6-0, 308. Playing mostly defensive end, two-time STATS All-America first-teamer set the FCS career record with 86.5 tackles for loss and was just off the all-time high in sacks with 42. Also blocked 14 kicks, three shy of the FCS record.

Oakland Raiders (3, 65) – Brandon Parker, North Carolina A&T, OT, 6-8, 305. Won the MEAC offensive lineman of the year award three times. In 48 career starts, two-time STATS FCS All-American didn’t surrender a sack, allowed only two quarterback hurries and committed just seven penalties.

SATURDAY, APRIL 28=

New York Giants (4th round, 108th overall) – Kyle Lauletta, Richmond, QB, 6-2½, 222. Overcame a torn ACL in November 2016 to post a big senior season, winning CAA offensive player of the year and then MVP at the Reese’s Senior Bowl. Accurate passer finished his Richmond career as the school record-holder for passing yards (10,465) and touchdown passes (73).

Buffalo Bills (4, 121) – Taron Johnson, Weber State, CB, 6-0, 180. The Big Sky’s 2017 MVP and STATS FCS All-America first-teamer has a lanky frame for natural cover skills. Was in on a school-record 42 pass breakups, including six interceptions, during his college career.

Arizona Cardinals (4, 134) – Chase Edmonds, Fordham, RB, 5-9, 205. Three-time FCS All-American and 2014 Jerry Rice Award winner has the speed and shifty moves of a change-of-pace back. Finished as the Patriot League’s all-time record-holder in rushing yards (5,862), all-purpose yards (7,374) and TDs (74).

Los Angeles Rams (4, 135) – John Franklin, Stephen F. Austin, DE, 6-4, 283. Uses an 82-inch wingspan to engage blockers and then drive through with upper-body strength. Hustles to get to ball carriers, notching 28 tackles for loss over his final two seasons at SFA.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (4, 144) – Justin Watson, Penn, WR, 6-2½, 213. Physical receiver with good ball skills who played in both the East-West Shrine Game and Reese’s Senior Bowl. Holds Penn’s career records for receptions (286), receiving yards (3,777), TD receptions (33) and all-purpose yards (4,116).

Chicago Bears (5, 145) – Bilal Nichols, Delaware, DT, 6-4, 306. Viewed as a run stopper, he moves along the line fluidly and plays through the whistle. His performance at the East-West Shrine Game earned him a late invite to the Reese’s Senior Bowl.

Cincinnati Bengals (5, 151) – Davontae Harris, Illinois State, CB, 5-11, 205. Physical, big-game corner who is particularly strong in run support. Was first among cornerbacks at the NFL Combine with 22 reps in the bench press and clocked 4.43 seconds in the 40-yard dash.

Buffalo Bills (5, 154) – Siran Neal, Jacksonville State, SS, 6-0, 205. Plays with a physical style in coverage, boasting a 40.5-inch vertical jump to attack passes. Was found wherever FCS power Jacksonville State needed him, including safety as a sophomore, linebacker as a junior and cornerback as a senior.

Indianapolis Colts (5, 159) – Daurice Fountain, Northern Iowa, WR, 6-1½, 210. Uses natural athleticism to separate from coverage and pick up yards after the catch. Followed banner senior season (66 receptions for 943 yards and 12 TDs) by winning MVP honors at the East-West Shrine Game.

Los Angeles Rams (6, 192) – Jamil Demby, Maine, OG, 6-5, 325. STATS FCS All-America second-team selection made 40 starts at left tackle in his Maine career, but is expected to transition to guard on the next level. Naturally strong with a good anchor in pass protection.

Kansas City Chiefs (6, 196) – Tremon Smith, Central Arkansas, CB, 5-11, 193. What the athletic Smith lacks in size, he overcomes with blazing speed (4.3 speed in the 40), a bump-and-run style and excellent ball skills. Also viewed as a contributor as a returner.

Atlanta Falcons (6, 200) – Foyesade Oluokun, Yale, OLB/SS, 6-2, 229. Fluid playing style and NFL frame are viewed for a hybrid linebacker/safety role. After solid, but not dominating career, the Ivy Leaguer turned heads with strong testing in the pre-draft buildup.

Baltimore Ravens (6, 212) – Greg Senat, Wagner, OT 6-6, 302. Played four seasons of basketball and only two of football at Wagner, but showed moldable talent for the next level. Was the first player in Northeast Conference history to earn an invite to the East-West Shrine Game, and its first draft pick since 2009.

—=
 #1614  by dinhead
 Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:03 pm
The MEAC has a history of putting a surprising amount of players in the pros and NC A&T did go undefeated. Even with a weak schedule they must have had at the very least a legit top 20 team.

Having two players from the Ivy League and the first one ever from the Northeast conference is perhaps a bigger surprise.

Unfortunately the fact that none of the 17 FCS players were from the SoCon has to be indicative of the overall talent drop off since the departure of App. St. and Ga. Southern and the rebuilding of the Furman program. There just weren't that many standout seniors in the conference this year.
 #1616  by gofurman
 Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:33 pm
Agree on the overall talent in the SoCon right now vs , say , the North Dakota State/JMU level. Still, that said, it isn't like the MEAC can compete w NDSU - they can't compete with the SoCon for the most part. I think FU would just about go undefeated in the MEAC. Just an anomaly that the SoCon didn't have an NFL draftee - Acually I thought the UTC linebacker Dale Warren would get drafted.. dude was Nasty (he missed our game). When he came back Woff etc could hardly move the ball. He was projected round 3 or 4 so I figured he was at least a 5th 6th rounder. Game changer at LB
 #1623  by Sand1efan
 Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:45 pm
Lack of Furman in NFL. The scouts know that Furman graduates have more alternatives. They could consider Furman graduates less hungry. We always have players that can compete on the field with MEAC, etc.
 #1624  by gman
 Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:21 pm
Sand1efan wrote:
Lack of Furman in NFL. The scouts know that Furman graduates have more alternatives. They could consider Furman graduates less hungry. We always have players that can compete on the field with MEAC, etc.
You must hate Furman. Woffy fan?
 #1627  by The Jackal
 Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:42 pm
I could have overlooked it in your earlier post, but Western Carolina's DB Keion Crossen was drafted by New England in the 7th round.

Just as a side note: most SoCon teams were really young in 2017. So, it's not terribly stunning that the NFL didn't beat down the doors of a league whose best players are still underclassmen.

Other than Detrez Newsome and Crossen, and potentially Schmidt and the Samford LB whose name I forget, how many NFL caliber seniors were there? Perhaps the league's most draftable player from 2016 - Dee Delaney - transferred from Citadel to Miami (where he signed as UFA).

I expect those numbers to change over time.
 #1629  by gofurman
 Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:13 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:42 pm
I could have overlooked it in your earlier post, but Western Carolina's DB Keion Crossen was drafted by New England in the 7th round.

Just as a side note: most SoCon teams were really young in 2017. So, it's not terribly stunning that the NFL didn't beat down the doors of a league whose best players are still underclassmen.

Other than Detrez Newsome and Crossen, and potentially Schmidt and the Samford LB whose name I forget, how many NFL caliber seniors were there? Perhaps the league's most draftable player from 2016 - Dee Delaney - transferred from Citadel to Miami (where he signed as UFA).

I expect those numbers to change over time.
I would add Dale Warren / UTC linebacker was thought by many to be draftable' -

https://herosports.com/nfl-draft/fcs-co ... -2018-ajaj

etc. I saw him listed several times. Anyway, wouldn't be surprised if he eventually caught on
 #1630  by gofurman
 Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:15 pm
Sand1efan wrote:
This is Kind of an odd post in my opinion... - many FU football players would LOVE a chance to play in the NFL (Sure, not all, but many)
 #1631  by tya1
 Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:12 pm
gofurman wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:15 pm
Sand1efan wrote:
This is Kind of an odd post in my opinion... - many FU football players would LOVE a chance to play in the NFL (Sure, not all, but many)
It is beyond odd. An NFL rookie who makes the team gets a minimum salary of $480,000 this year. Stay a second year and you are up to $555,000. Minimum. And that doesn't include the signing bonus. Which can be more than your salary depending on how high you are drafted. Even the ten guys on the practice squad are getting over $7,000 a week.

What are the opportunities for a fresh graduate that are better than that?
 #1648  by The Jackal
 Tue May 01, 2018 5:14 pm
One other note. In addition to UFAs Detrez Newsome (WCU), Tae Davis (UTC), Austin Barnard (Samford), there are a couple of "SoCon guys" that are technically UFAs for other schools.

David Marvin, K (UGA) was an all american at Wofford.
Dee Delaney, CB (Miami) was a standout at the Citadel.

So, that one draftee, three UFAs, and two other UFAs that spent nearly their entire career in the SoCon. Not bad.
 #1898  by Paul C
 Sun May 27, 2018 12:07 pm
Surprised that Matt Schmidt didn’t get a shot as an Undrafted Free Agent.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.