• #11 Furman @ [FBS] Georgia St. Sept. 7th (Purple Invasion On ATL)

#16183  by FUBeAR
 Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:14 am
mathprofhiker wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:14 pm
Georgia State got the biggest win in their program's history today. Should be ripe for an upset next week.
trying to decide if I should project FU to win by 2 or by 3 scores next Sat. Heart wants to say 3, but head says GaSt AND FBS Officials will keep it down to 2
dornb, QCGlue and 1 others liked this
 #16194  by AstroDin
 Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:55 am
Scanned through the TN/GSU game - the VOLS looked like a hot mess. I'm sure GSU is a better team than last season, just not sure how improved yet.

This will be a test. I'm sure the coaches will get the team in the right frame of mind. I expect the Dins to play hungry, confident and expect to win.

Furman just needs to worry about Furman, play in control, take advantage of the opportunities, play physical and take the candy wrapper off Grainger. Not sure how much of the playbook Furman used against the Bucs, in the second half Furman just ran base stuff and still carved up the Buc D.
 #16196  by gofurman
 Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:29 am
What’s scary is our hope lay somewhat on GSU not being able to stop the run. They shut down UT. WTH. Last year GSU gave up 250 run yds a game to Sun Belt teams. How do they hold UT to less than a hundred yds rush ???

I was v encouraged at seeing in preseason they couldn’t stop the run. Now not so much. And their QB is freaky on the run. He made a fool of UT a few times. Armanti Edwards stuff

I’m not saying we can’t win but my impression changed. I think we did v well !!! I just think GSU WAY EXCEEDED my expectations. ESP run D. Which, as we know w our OL AND young QB We want to run and play action. Again liked what I saw from us. Just GSU was a wow @ biggest upset of the day.
 #16197  by apaladin
 Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:39 am
Like you said on defense they were strong against the run, our strength and not so good against the pass, which is not our forte. On offense they ran the ball well over 200 yds and only passed for 139 on 11-24. Stopping or not stopping their QB from running will be the key.
 #16198  by cavedweller2
 Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:57 am
They looked so good against the run because UT’s O line sucked. Poorly coached and out of synchronized. Our guys are well coached and work as one. You will see a notable difference.
AstroDin, FUBeAR, MNORM and 1 others liked this
 #16207  by The Jackal
 Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:18 pm
Highlights from GSU/UT game:

This is my personal opinion, but GSU still looks like a quality FCS team. They aren't going to overwhelm us with size and physicality. They have a speedy, athletic QB and run a lot of read option looks. Essentially, the same stuff we see a bunch during the season.

Their coaching staff knows who Furman is. They won't let their team overlook us.
 #16218  by The Jackal
 Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:49 pm
Another thing I had forgotten when watching GSU's film - the OC spent the last six or seven years at Western Carolina.

The Panther's offense is a near carbon clone of the Catamounts. The QB is a big athletic kid that can throw and catch. The RB is a shifty speedster and they will use a lot of TE/H-Backs.

There shouldn't be many surprises Saturday. We don't have a history with Georgia State, but we have history with their coaches.
AstroDin liked this
 #16220  by Jasper
 Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:53 am
I agree with Jackal that GSU does not suddenly look like a dominating SEC team just because they beat a Tennessee program in flux. They do look much more like a good and fast FCS program and I believe we can compete with anyone in our classification. Knowing their tendencies as a coaching staff will be a big help to our defensive unit and I expect to see a big improvement in our own offensive performance, although not necessarily in points scored. We ran all over CSU and I doubt we will be able to duplicate that against better competition. However, with first game jitters out of the way and the confidence the big win instilled, I expect our QB play to improve and the play book to expand. Although Grainger played very well, I expect that he will see the field much better next week and in ensuing weeks.
Furman is now a big and strong football team that can hold its own against anyone with the possible exception of a top Power 5 team. This game could well come down to the kicking game and we have a great one. Furman by 10.
AstroDin, FUBeAR, dornb and 1 others liked this
 #16222  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:18 am
Jasper wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:53 am
I agree with Jackal that GSU does not suddenly look like a dominating SEC team just because they beat a Tennessee program in flux. They do look much more like a good and fast FCS program and I believe we can compete with anyone in our classification. Knowing their tendencies as a coaching staff will be a big help to our defensive unit and I expect to see a big improvement in our own offensive performance, although not necessarily in points scored. We ran all over CSU and I doubt we will be able to duplicate that against better competition. However, with first game jitters out of the way and the confidence the big win instilled, I expect our QB play to improve and the play book to expand. Although Grainger played very well, I expect that he will see the field much better next week and in ensuing weeks.
Furman is now a big and strong football team that can hold its own against anyone with the possible exception of a top Power 5 team. This game could well come down to the kicking game and we have a great one. Furman by 10.
Looked at GSU's depth chart. They look a lot like we do.

As best I can tell, Furman is going to need to stop the QB. He's the bell cow.

By contrast, I expect GSU to throw everything they can at Devin Wynn and Co. They feel good about their run defense, and, I'm sure, want to force Darren Grainger to beat them throwing the ball.
 #16235  by Buddy Cucharas
 Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:22 pm
What's happened here is, is Georgia State is practicing a kind of mind control on the football. They are putting a counter-clockwise spin on the ball even when it is totally stationary and out of play. They can tie other people's shoes - and they did, right in the second quarter. Don't believe me that they can go and do them things? Exhibit A: A noticeably overweight Volunteer fan went to pick up his cold drink in the third quarter, and it wasn't where he thought it was, even though it was right there like three seconds ago. But don't worry. He did find it, which was good because he was real thirsty. But I need to tell you people that these Georgia State football people are going to try and pull some of that same crapola on you too. Watch out. Also, one of them left the shower curtain outside the tub in his hotel room when he took a shower.
FUBeAR liked this