• our OOC in future

#16028  by gofurman
 Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:27 am
all this talk of NDSU - remind me our OOC coming up please. thanks

(and I agree w others NDSU makes no sense from $ - it just doesn't ; UNLESS they were to agree home and away which I assume is free other than travel ... Also, people say Texas or Northeast teams are a 'wish list/Christmas' that won't happen because of $. I get that but again we have done it w Colgate so there is precedent as well as recruiting reasons to play in Texas or wherever the CH coaches think we should recruit)
-

Anyway:

can someone tell me our OOC in future years: (FBS and FCS) - are we playing CSU again? usually you do home and away or sign for two games..

FBS Tennessee -09/19

09/04 - North Carolina A&T at HOME
09/11 - Colgate -at HOM
09/18 - at NC State

09/10 - at Clemson
TBA - at Colgate

09/16 - at Kennesaw State

- NC A&T in Greensboro, N.C., on Sept. 13
Last edited by gofurman on Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:49 am, edited 7 times in total.
 #16029  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:34 am
Everything official you need is here at the link me and apaladin keep posting:
https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/furman/

NDSU makes sense as something to strive for if we ever want to sellout Paladin Stadium again, not saying it would be easy to pull off but it is certainly worth taking a look at. Maybe JMU is more reasonable due to travel, but we've got to strive for better home games one way or another. I do like the NC A&T series, it is a solid signing for home and home.
 #16031  by gofurman
 Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:41 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:34 am
Everything official you need is here at the link me and apaladin keep posting:
https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/furman/

NDSU makes sense as something to strive for if we ever want to sellout Paladin Stadium again, not saying it would be easy to pull off but it is certainly worth taking a look at. Maybe JMU is more reasonable due to travel, but we've got to strive for better home games one way or another. I do like the NC A&T series, it is a solid signing for home and home.
thanks!!! and yeah, I am not one who is going crazy w this NDSU thing.. I just this morning realized that we obviously gave the OK to Colgate which is a plane flight so that set a precedent for Texas or wherever we think we could be helped w recruiting. Actually I DONT want games too hard.. Wofford has shown us (and it kills me to say it) the better way to make the playoffs is schedule easy games. I don't want NDSU, JMU and Clemson. that's ridiculous. At least one if - my preference - two easier OOC. We are freshly wounded from last year where the team didn't get to play in the playoffs as a SoCon Champ. I feel for all those Seniors - I guarantee you they wanted to play in the playoffs more than they cared if we played Elon or CSU last year. To hope you have another game and a playoff run and then learn you don't and your career is over is a killer.

IE, the ROI of a 'tough' opponent vs a win that helps w playoffs? You take the easier game EVERY time. We want two paths to the playoffs - 1) win the SoCon. but if you don't 2) have a good record that gets an at-large
 #16032  by Affirm
 Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:54 am
gofurman wrote:

(and I agree w others NDSU makes no sense from $ - it just doesn't ; UNLESS they were to agree home and away which I assume is free other than travel ... Also, people say Texas or Northeast teams are a 'wish list/Christmas' that won't happen because of $. I get that but again we have done it w Colgate so there is precedent as well as recruiting reasons to play in Texas or wherever the CH coaches think we should recruit)
-

Anyway:

can someone tell me our OOC in future years: (FBS and FCS) - are we playing CSU again? usually you do home and away or sign for two games..

FBS Tennessee -09/19

09/11 - Colgate -at HOM
09/18 - at NC State

09/10 - at Clemson
TBA - at Colgate

Re: Precedents for distant games
Did we go to Delaware for a regular season game?
Obviously we’ve been to Colgate.
Did we go to Howard, or was that only a home game for us?
I don’t necessarily get us not going to NE or Texas. Or at least as far as Richmond, W&M, JMU, Delaware, Towson (if we could negotiate a deal).
I guess it comes down to “where we recruit”?
Also schools including Stetson, JU, and Davidson go all the way to San Diego, Des Moines, Poughkeepsie, etc., for Pioneer Football League games. Is that affordable for them just because of “no football scholarships”?
...Also, WCU has home-and-home scheduled with Montana. And Norfolk State will be going to Montana State. And Lehigh is going to UC Davis.
 #16033  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:09 am
affirm wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:54 am
gofurman wrote:

-

Anyway:

FBS Tennessee -09/19

09/11 - Colgate -at HOM
09/18 - at NC State

09/10 - at Clemson
TBA - at Colgate

Re: Precedents for distant games
Did we go to Delaware for a regular season game?
Obviously we’ve been to Colgate.
Did we go to Howard, or was that only a home game for us?
I don’t necessarily get us not going to NE or Texas. Or at least as far as Richmond, W&M, JMU, Delaware, Towson (if we could negotiate a deal).
I guess it comes down to “where we recruit”?
Also schools including Stetson, JU, and Davidson go all the way to San Diego, Des Moines, Poughkeepsie, etc., for Pioneer Football League games. Is that affordable for them just because of “no football scholarships”?
...Also, WCU has home-and-home scheduled with Montana. And Norfolk State will be going to Montana State. And Lehigh is going to UC Davis.

Howard was only a home game

Delaware we bought out so we could get a second money game at Missouri

We did play at Hofstra in the regular season
 #16036  by apaladin
 Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:34 am
Others:
at Kennesaw St
at SEC team TBA
at Mississippi
at Clempson
 #16038  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:56 am
2024 and 2025 will both be a 12 regular season
 #16039  by gofurman
 Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:00 am
so we have shown that we will do it: we have been to Hofstra and recently Colgate... then yes, I think that opens discussion to others. Especially as you all said, where do we want to recruit - obviously Texas as shown by Anderson etc. We get lots of kids from Florida - maybe a game w Florida A&M or Bethune Cookman or Jacksonville or Stetson ! though I can't recall but think one of those turned us down this year. We get lots of kids from Bama and Georgia especially but already play there in conference.

The NC A&T makes sense (though it's harder than I want personally) because we recruit NC.. though we already play WCU. So NC A&T or Elon or ... so NC or Virginia or Texas or Florida all seem to fit
 #16040  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:24 am
gofurman wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:00 am
so we have shown that we will do it: we have been to Hofstra and recently Colgate... then yes, I think that opens discussion to others. Especially as you all said, where do we want to recruit - obviously Texas as shown by Anderson etc. We get lots of kids from Florida - maybe a game w Florida A&M or Bethune Cookman or Jacksonville or Stetson ! though I can't recall but think one of those turned us down this year. We get lots of kids from Bama and Georgia especially but already play there in conference.

The NC A&T makes sense (though it's harder than I want personally) because we recruit NC.. though we already play WCU. So NC A&T or Elon or ... so NC or Virginia or Texas or Florida all seem to fit

Its about more than that though, if your talking about recruiting you have to expand that even more so to home games where we bring in tons of recruits to watch the atmosphere here.
You have to get big games here to get big crowds, otherwise the atmosphere stinks.
We were never scared to play Marshall, GSU, App St., Delaware, JSU ect. at home, and those much better attended games do wonders for helping to impress recruits.
A home and home with the likes of NDSU, JMU, ect. should be explored, not shied away from.
 #16042  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:32 am
Not that I am suggesting that it is not already being explored, just to say that I hope it is as I see major upsides to a big time home and home that gets everyone excited
 #16054  by Paul C
 Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:20 pm
affirm wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:02 pm
Keep Villanova on that list of possibilities to explore.
I like that but a bit far....FWIW I like playing teams with higher academic profiles. One that we've played in the past, is in a good conference and fits that profile is William and Mary. I'd give a big thumbs up to that.
Davemeister liked this
 #16065  by MNORM
 Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:13 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:56 am
2024 and 2025 will both be a 12 regular season
If that 2021 schedule is 100% correct, we will have a very impressive 6 game home schedule...same SOCON teams as this year+ NC A&T and Colgate.
 #16072  by DungeonRealm
 Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:12 am
So beyond this season we have 10 total OOC games already scheduled, and they all fall in one of 2 categories, 5 FBS games and 5 FCS games vs. teams currently ranked in top 20
fufanatic liked this
 #16075  by Affirm
 Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:04 am
Villanova beat Colgate by 20 last night, 34-14.
We play Colgate in 2021 and 2022.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.